stacy347's Dining Report Part 2 ~ Tusker House & 'Ohana Dinner

stacy347

I carried a watermelon?
An early lunch at AK...
Tusker House:

I have to say when we first walked up to this one, I felt pretty overwhelmed. It was extremely busy and there wasn't an empty seat in sight but we had really been looking forward to this CS so we went for it anyway and OMGoodness, we were so glad that we did!
By the time we got through the line and had our food, we had sent some people outside to scout for seating and found some great tables. :thumbsup2

One main thing I discovered is that I love eating outside at Disney! I never thought that would be the case but I truly enjoyed it. Once you are off your feet and relaxed, the heat does not bother you so much and we had no issues with bugs flying around plus you get to see all the birds, ducks, squirrels and whatever else may be roaming about walk right up to you (yes, I told my kids not to feed them but there was so much on the ground that they had no shortage of snacks, LOL) :)
Also, when you're eating outside, people tend to be more sociable...I never noticed a single family making conversation with each other eating indoors but at the meals, snacks and drinks we had outside, it was almost like being at a social and it was a great time!

OK, on to the actual food, LOL! ;)

Myself: 1/2 Rotisserie chicken with garlic mashed potatoes and vegetables...I can't even begin to tell you how good this chicken was. It was juicy and tender and the flavor was out of this world! The potatoes were also wonderful and well, to me, veggies are veggies, LOL.
I had the chocolate cake for dessert (couldn't finish it but what I ate was delicious).

MIL: Same entree as me and loved it every bit as much! She had the cheesecake for deesert whih she said was scrumptious!

DD13: Fried chicken sandwich with fries...said it was very good (this is a huge compliment coming from her, LOL). ;) Also had chocolate cake and loved it.

DD11: Same entree as DD13 and also said it really good. She had the cheesecake for dessert and liked it very well.

DD9: Had the children's drumstick, mashed potatoes and applesauce meal. This DD ended up coming down some sort of upper respiratory virus while here and she didn't enjoy much of anything but she ate what she could.

DD7: Children's mac & cheese, applesauce and Mickey crackers meal. Ate the pasta and 1/2 the crackers...the applesauce is in my fridge as we speak, LOL.

I believe both of the little ones had the chocolate cake dessert but neither actually ate much this afternoon.

At a separate table, my DSis and her crew had the chicken sandwich which they liked and the turkey wrap with corn chowder which got mixed reviews. Apparently the wrap is prepared with some sort of relish type sauce and nobody cared for that but they said the corn chowder was to die for and should be served on it's own. :thumbsup2

Later that evening at the Poly...

'Ohana:

I believe I can safely say that this was the favorite overall meal of the trip. :love:

Started off with the fried wontons and sauces...we all had our own favorites (I fell in love with the peanut sauce myself and could have eaten that appetizer all night, LOL).
They also brought out the salad pretty quickly and everyone agreed that ours was very dry so we asked for extra dressing and it was much better!
Next came the shrimp and chicken wings...both were delicious and went pretty quickly but they were great about bringing more out right away.

Now I have to say that the rest of the meal was rather odd, LOL. The potatoes were served first and then a little while later came the steak and turkey. Then quite awhile after that came the sausage and pork loin...it was almost as if each thing ended up being it's own course instead of the meat and potatoes being a single course.
Either way, the food was perfection! The steak was perfectly pink, the meats were all flavorful and tender, the potatoes were heavenly (although this was the one thing we never did have enough of).

We were sitting on the side close to the restrooms and entrance so we did not get to participate in any of the activities but to be honest, I kind of liked being away from the action at that point and would possibly even request that again in the future.

Our "cousins" were all very friendly although the one female cousin did seem a little overwhelmed by things at times (but to be fair, the restaurant was packed and we had a large table).

It was such an enjoyable meal that everyone in my family has unanimously decided that this will be our first official Disney meal every time we go now! :sunny:

ETA: How could I forget the dessert?!?! :eek:
The bananas foster bread pudding...where do I even begin? I am quite certain that when that dish was served you could hear a collective "Oh My Gosh" come from our table, LOL! It was so unbelievably delicious that I couldn't even put it into words...JUST GO TRY IT!! :banana:

Part 3 coming soon!

Thanks for the reviews!

Im really looking forward to our first Ohana visit! Wonder why it is that they dont serve everything all at once?

Our experience was close to the same as yours at both places. We'd heard that Ohana appetizers were better than the meats, so we asked for more...were sorry about this because when the meats arrived they were perfection. Yum. Loved the potatoes too, but they should ask people if they want potatoes because we saw that most tables left them untouched. A lot of wasted food here, the staff seemed rushed and they really should take more time to make sure they aren't, say, leaving a second plate of chicken wings on your table when you don't want any more.

Only problem we had with Ohana was overeating.....PLEASE save room for the dessert, it's a winner! :Pinkbounc

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

Thanks for the reviews! I will be eatting at Ohanas for my bday tomorrow night! I cant wait! Oh and I will have lunch at Tusker house Mon..

We also sat off to the side near the restrooms and I can't say I didn't enjoy it! It was nice being a bit away from the crowd and heat of the pit. My kids still participated, we just listened up when they made announcements and sent my brave ones off to find the fun. My daughter even led the parade! They also did a hula dance and a couple of other little ditties. I really couldn't see and they were satisfied going off to participate while we stayed behind to work on the food.

I agree the dessert was to die for and I was so stuffed it was rather painful to eat but I couldn't help myself.

We're going back in Oct and taking my mom and grandma who haven't been to any wdw resturants (with acception of CP, we drug them there on the last trip they came along for...five years ago!!!).

Food, service, and entertainement was fabulous.

and the backscratchers weren't bad either *wink*

It's our number one "family" choice resturaunt. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter