Stage two of the gondola system will go from animal kingdom Kidani to Saratoga Springs

But remember, dues are limited by law in the amount that they can increase. It would take a long time for Disney to recoup that cost. Whereas, a cash resort can simply increase the nightly cost to compensate. Remember that a value resort is already going to be on the gondola system.

Yes, but, for Disney to expand it to SSR or OKW, remember DISNEY also owns points in those resorts. so they would be paying part, too. And without a lot of increased revenues possible, as the resorts are pretty much usually fully booked anyway, even though SSR is usually last to fill, there really isn't anything in it for Disney. They won't be saving a huge amount over the busses there is no driving reason to extend to SSR...

I think the goal would be to connect Disney Springs to other parks/resorts to increase business there. Connecting SSR or OKW would be a way to make owners fund at least part of the costs via dues.

But remember, dues are limited by law in the amount that they can increase. It would take a long time for Disney to recoup that cost. Whereas, a cash resort can simply increase the nightly cost to compensate. Remember that a value resort is already going to be on the gondola system.

My understanding is that dues fund trabsport operations and less so capital expenses. So we pay for bus operations but aren't buying buses. I may have this wrong, though.

Admittedly I haven't listened to the podcast, but this seems incredibly unlikely.

The current plan has 1.5 to 2 miles of distance. Just joining AK / Kidani to this would be an additional 3 miles... Then another 1.5 miles to add Saratoga to it and that is assuming it would have a direct route from CBR to SS.

I can't see adding Springs as a stop, since that would just encourage people to park there then take it to the parts to avoid paying for parking. That just seems like a considerable amount of strain on the system with no direct monetary benefit. No to mention encouraging visitors to stay at non-Disney resorts while inconveniencing those that are staying at those resorts.

Then there are the security risks it would introduce. Right now it is relatively difficult for non-guests to just wander into one of the resorts. This system would introduce an easy way for people to wander in and out unchecked.

Another thought that comes to mind is the potential medical risks of a 1.5 mile distance between AK and an existing stop. What if a passenger needs medical attention right in the middle of their trip? Its not like the shorter trips where there would be a stop coming up a few minutes later...

I don't think lightening would be an issue though. I would imagine that the car asks as a Faraday cage and funnels the strike to the ground through the path of least resistance. Of course that might knock the system out and leave people dangling until it reboots...

I would think that is a rumor that is false . It would be much too costly to build a gondola system for such a huge distance .As far as lightning I believe they are grounded and that is not a concern or disney would not risk it. There will be a ventilation system I don't know if it is actual air conditioning I am sure they will not add to the current gondola route until they see how it is working out over time to see if it is cost effective and works as planned

Do you have to sign a release to use the sky liner? Or is Disney willing to pay millions when lightening kills a family or two.

I reckon you'll sign the same release that you have to sign every time you get on the monorail, a ferryboat, bus transportation, or any other mode of Disney transportation that has inherent risk.

Ok, I am late to the party clearly!

No AC on the Gondolas:headache:

Fans? How is this not going to be a complete and utter sweatbox?
Thanks
Kerri

My understanding is that dues fund trabsport operations and less so capital expenses. So we pay for bus operations but aren't buying buses. I may have this wrong, though.

This is correct. They cannot directly charge us dues for building the system unless they decide to give ownership of the sytem to the members, which includes any land where it might run off-site, and make it exclusively for the use of DVC or set it up so the non-DVC resorts pay DVC a share for their use and maintenance to offset any dues charged to members. That is not going to occur.

What is occuring is that WDW is bearing the construction costs because it will own the gondola system. DVC members at an applicable DVC resort will then, via a fee charged by WDW, pay a share of the operation and maintenance costs along with any other Disney resorts that use the system. The fee could include in the price charged each resort by WDW some amount that eventually recaptures much of the construction costs.

As to building a second or more systems, my personal (perhaps business-minded) view is that Disney, despite that it may even have mentioned internally other systems, is not going to make any decisions to actually construct more gondola systems until after the one being built is done and has operated long enough for Disney to know whether it makes economic and environmental sense to make more. The environmental issue it faces is the ever-continuing increased requirements for the prevention of emissions from busses (raising their purchase, use, and maintence costs), and Disney long-term may be looking at the possibility of replacing all or most of the bus sytems with something else that includes gondolas (but might eventually even include electric buses). Factors that will go into those future decisions include costs of building gondola systems in relation to other options, operation and maintenance costs of the system, convenience of use and how much it gets used by visitors, how often it needs to be out of service for weather conditions, how many employees it uses in relation to buses, and numerous other considerations. If it is going with a non-air-conditioned system that then actually works without toasting the occupants, then one factor favoring it over other systems will be not having to pay any longer for the costs of air-conditioning a transportation system.

In other words, I would put all the rumors about additional systems in the category of nothing has been decided yet and we need to wait quite a while before it is.

Last edited:
This is correct. They cannot directly charge us dues for building the system unless they decide to give ownership of the system to the members, which includes any land where it might run off-site, and make it exclusively for the use of DVC or set it up so the non-DVC resorts pay DVC a share for their use and maintenance to offset any dues charged to members. That is not going to occur.

What is occuring is that WDW is bearing the construction costs because it will own the gondola system. DVC members at an applicable DVC resort will then, via a fee charged by WDW, pay a share of the operation and maintenance costs along with any other Disney resorts that use the system. The fee could include in the price charged each resort by WDW some amount that eventually recaptures much of the construction costs. In other words, I would put all the rumors about additional systems in the category of nothing has been decided yet and we need to wait quite a while before it is.
I'm not doubting what you are saying, it sounds logical to me. Is that a law that governs timeshares or condos? If that's true, where will the money come from to cover construction? Liftblog.com estimates that the cost of this system is around $300 Million. That is a ton of money. They have to get that back somehow. Now we see why they are charging for parking. A bus is around $500K so they are really making a huge investment in this system. The size and location is also very logical. The Mod on the Rumors Gondola thread stated that there is almost 10,000 rooms that will be served by the system and 2 parks. That makes sense for this system.

Last edited:
I'm not doubting what you are saying, it sounds logical to me. Is that a law that governs timeshares or condos? If that's true, where will the money come from to cover construction? Liftblog.com estimates that the cost of this system is around $300 Million. That is a ton of money. They have to get that back somehow. Now we see why they are charging for parking. A bus is around $500K so they are really making a huge investment in this system. The size and location is also very logical. The Mod on the Rumors Gondola thread stated that there is almost 10,000 rooms that will be served by the system and 2 parks. That makes sense for this system.

This is mostly basic condominium law which is also applicable to the timeshares. The only Disney entity that can actually charge you annual dues is the association (which essentially includes DVCMC, the Disney entity to which the association has essentially transfered its day to day running of the particular resort) that is responsible for the particular condominium site. It can charge you annual dues for the operations at the site, for the maintence and repair of any common elements at the site, for all service agreements it has with other entities to provide services to the owners of the site and for any taxes concerning the site. It can set up an operations budget and a capital improvements budget.

What it cannot do is charge members annual dues for the construction of anything that is constructed offsite and not owned by the members. For example, it cannot charge you dues, or even enter into contracts that would have members paying Disney for the construction costs of Toy Story Land. Likewise, any particular DVC resort cannot be charge for the construction or operation of transportation systems not providing services directly to and from the DVC resort. In other words, no matter what, the owner/members of all the existing DVC resorts at WDW cannot be charged for even the future operation of the gondola system currently being constructed because it is not going to serve any already existing DVC resort.

The gondola system is being built by a Disney entity other than the association or DVCMC, most likely Walt Disney Parks and Resorts (WPDR) which among other things, is responsible for WDW transportation systems. WPDR owns the transportation systems and to the extent any part of those systems actually are built on any property owned by a DVC resort, it will have an easement to enter and use such property to do such construction and the transpotation-related improvements it builds on any such DVC site will actually be owned and maintained by it, not the DVC resort.

WPDR cannot legally charge any existing members any annual dues at all, much less any for the construction of the gondola system. The only way it can get any portion of the annual dues to cover any transportation costs applicable to any DVC resorts is through service contracts it enters into with the applicable DVC resort association, which then charges members annual dues that include the agreed to transportaion-related costs. It currently has no agreement with any existing DVC association that relates to the gondola system. As to the current gondola system being built, it will never have any service contract with any existing DVC resort because that particular system will not provide transportation to and from any existing DVC resort. It may in the future have a service agreement with the DVC association that is eventually set up for Riviera because Riviera will be a direct user of the system. However, that association once established will not be allowed to enter into any contract that would have Riviera members charged specific dues to pay WDPR for the construction costs it has incurred for the gondola system.

So how does WPDR recoup the $300 million for building it (a sum you assert is a ton of money but actually is not in relation to Disney's worth, revenue or net income). It will do so the same way it recovers the costs of purchasing new buses, new boats, or constructs improvements to the monorail. It will have service contracts with the associations of the DVC resorts that use the system, which charge fees to the applicable DVC resort to cover its proportion of all the transportation costs of the resorts using the system. The fee will likely factor in a some amount annually for construction of the system, and thus WPDR will eventually recover much of the building costs over a long period of time through transportation fees charged Riviera and rental charges for rooms made at the other Disney resorts that use the system, and hopefully the additon of the system will also lead to more rentals at the applicable resorts, more use of the parks, and to a reduction in other transportation costs such as the buses.

Last edited:
As an SSR owner, I am irritated enough with having to stand on a bus while other riders ask the driver where to get off to go to DS, I would be really irritated if they installed gondolas that non-owners would use to get to DS, especially if part of my dues are paying for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter