Stage two of the gondola system will go from animal kingdom Kidani to Saratoga Springs

As an SSR owner, I am irritated enough with having to stand on a bus while other riders ask the driver where to get off to go to DS, I would be really irritated if they installed gondolas that non-owners would use to get to DS, especially if part of my dues are paying for that.
I am pretty sure that the gondola is not going to be on SSR property. From what I understand it would go do Disney Springs near SSR where the old bus drop off was. So it would be accessible to SSR.

IMHO, in order for a gondola system to be worth the cost, it needs to service allot of rooms and service parks. The parks are where the crowds are.One resort to one park just doesn't make sense

Last edited:
Admittedly I haven't listened to the podcast, but this seems incredibly unlikely.

I can't see adding Springs as a stop, since that would just encourage people to park there then take it to the parts to avoid paying for parking. That just seems like a considerable amount of strain on the system with no direct monetary benefit. No to mention encouraging visitors to stay at non-Disney resorts while inconveniencing those that are staying at those resorts.

I agree, didn't they stop busses from going DS to theme parks a few years ago? I can't remember, but at the time I think there was a thread about it being to stop people from parking for free at DS and taking the bus to the theme parks, and filling up the DS parking area.

I agree, didn't they stop busses from going DS to theme parks a few years ago? I can't remember, but at the time I think there was a thread about it being to stop people from parking for free at DS and taking the bus to the theme parks, and filling up the DS parking area.
I'm not sure when but yes. I have been a few times while in MCO on business. I come from the DS area and usually go to POR to connect to the parks. From the parks you can go direct DS after 4:30 PM if I recall correctly. I assume you still cannot go the other way after 4:30 but I'm not certain.Whats nuts is that the MDE app as recently as 5 minutes ago shows you can go direct from DS to MK.

The most prolific and reliable insider the last few years, marni1971 at wdwmagic, has repeatedly said the gondola system will not be expanded to AK or DS, including as recently as the other week. He said there's long term plans to connect the west side of property via a new transportation system but that it's not gondolas and not monorails. My guess would be funicular rail or light rail.

PS there are photos of the gondola cabs arriving on trucks to WDW- there's no AC as expected. Just extra vents. Moving at 15mph it'll feel fine inside with forced ventilation.

Last edited:
Given that the initial gondola isn't AC I have extreme doubts they will do another that is.

Cross compatibility of carriages becomes an issue.
I can't imagine anyone will ride them if they aren't AC'd. I mean really the only time of year you don't reg need ac in FL. is JAn and Feb. don't take my word for it, go to AK in sept. it's miserable!

I can't imagine anyone will ride them if they aren't AC'd. I mean really the only time of year you don't reg need ac in FL. is JAn and Feb. don't take my word for it, go to AK in sept. it's miserable!
It has been confirmed they don't have AC.

They will be fine. They would frankly be worse with AC because current tech and power cannot keep up with demand, whereas forced air is more reliable.

It has been confirmed they don't have AC.

They will be fine. They would frankly be worse with AC because current tech and power cannot keep up with demand, whereas forced air is more reliable.

Forced air (aka fan) is very reliable. It was invented back in 1882 and they work great until the ambient air temperature reaches a certain point. Your comfort level is different than others.

If the gondolas are comfortable during peak heat of the Florida summer, it would be logical to remove energy consuming AC units on other modes of transportation (buses, boats, monorail). It would save a ton of money.

Forced air (aka fan) is very reliable. It was invented back in 1882 and they work great until the ambient air temperature reaches a certain point. Your comfort level is different than others.

If the gondolas are comfortable during peak heat of the Florida summer, it would be logical to remove energy consuming AC units on other modes of transportation (buses, boats, monorail). It would save a ton of money.

In a general sense, while still an energy hog, it is a lot easier to power AC on a bus or monorail because of the way energy is sourced to the system. Gas, natural gas, electric. A gondola cabin has no external power source and has to run all electrical on a battery. A battery is not going to be good for all-day AC in Florida. Technology is getting there on rechargeable batteries that can handle the power drain, but it's still not prime-time ready, let alone for this kind of application. Swapping batteries and having sufficient "extra" carriages to swap in and out during battery turnover is pretty unwieldy (space, labor, general expense).

So I wouldn't look at this as "well, then, it should be good for every form of transport!" Every form of transport has its own structures and power sourcing, and it varies.

So I wouldn't look at this as "well, then, it should be good for every form of transport!" Every form of transport has its own structures and power sourcing, and it varies.

Yes, and every vehicle type has different airflow patterns, so what may work fine for one transport system may not work well in another. Just Moving air via a fan may be fine for a short gondola ride, not in a bus or monorail with sealed windows. Remember, the boat system doesn't use A/C, except for the Friendship type boats with the interior cabin.

IMHO, in order for a gondola system to be worth the cost, it needs to service allot of rooms and service parks. The parks are where the crowds are.One resort to one park just doesn't make sense

I agree. How much demand is there to go from Kidani to Disney Springs?

they work great until the ambient air temperature reaches a certain point
If figure that if it's a day I am willing to do the shade-free walk between Future World and World Showcase, I can probably ride in a gondola. Then again, that's why I prefer to go in February/March.

In a general sense, while still an energy hog, it is a lot easier to power AC on a bus or monorail because of the way energy is sourced to the system. Gas, natural gas, electric. A gondola cabin has no external power source and has to run all electrical on a battery. A battery is not going to be good for all-day AC in Florida. Technology is getting there on rechargeable batteries that can handle the power drain, but it's still not prime-time ready, let alone for this kind of application. Swapping batteries and having sufficient "extra" carriages to swap in and out during battery turnover is pretty unwieldy (space, labor, general expense).

If you can make a closed cabin in the hot Florida sun comfortable pushing air at ambient 90f-100f temperature, you have done something amazing. This new fan could be used in many locations and save a ton of energy and money.

The Tower of terror cars are battery powered and intermittently charged along the pathway. The same could be done for gondola cars at every vertical support guideway and every loading and unloading station.

The technology is available, it’s a matter of cost.

If figure that if it's a day I am willing to do the shade-free walk between Future World and World Showcase, I can probably ride in a gondola. Then again, that's why I prefer to go in February/March.

If your going to install a new transportation system at an expensive resort, do it right.

Yes, and every vehicle type has different airflow patterns, so what may work fine for one transport system may not work well in another. Just Moving air via a fan may be fine for a short gondola ride, not in a bus or monorail with sealed windows. Remember, the boat system doesn't use A/C, except for the Friendship type boats with the interior cabin.

One of the interesting aspects of riding motorcycles is how close you are to surrounding elements. You can ride down any street and feel a sharp temperature drop when you drive by water. The source of water can be hidden, but the evaporative affects of water sharply drops surrounding air temperature and you feel it.

The opposite is true for black top and concrete structures. The air temperature rises and you feel the heat.

The great thing about AC is the sensors adjust to any situation and maintain the thermostat set point.

I would bet the gondola paths will have hot areas and cool areas depending on conditions that change throughout the day. Why on earth wouldn’t you want to have some type of control on a major investments comfort aspect.

Singapore has a similar system that has no AC. Its hot and humid there year round and if you read the reviews, there are very few that mention being uncomfortable in them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter