Stalking vs. Waitlist - Stalking Wins Again

disneyeveryyear

DIS Veteran
I needed to remove the last two days from our VB vacation in November and move to WDW. The MVMCP dates were announced, and I wanted to attend (have never been). This was over Veteran's Day Weekend.

I found the two days available at SSR, but by the time I cancelled at VB and rebooked with two fewer days, one of the days was gone at SSR (the important one). So, I booked the full 2 nights at a 1BR at OKW (not ideal with 4 adults), I also booked the 1 night available at SSR in a 2BR and I put in a waitlist for a 2BR at both OKW and SSR. This was done last Saturday (4/29).

Since that time, I have been checking daily to see if WL came through, and then stalking RAT about 3x/day. Well, this morning, I checked and WL had not cleared. However, when I checked RAT, a 2BR was available at SSR, so I opened a 2nd browser and while holding the 2BR at SSR, I cancelled the 1BR at OKW. I then finished booking at SSR.

It all worked beautifully. Apparently at least two rooms were cancelled for our first night, because the RAT is still showing availability, so maybe the WL would have picked it up - who knows.

I have since cancelled my WLs that I had on file and added a WL for BLT so we could stay closer to the MK for the party. I love being able to walk back.

I don't think I will stalk quite so diligently since we at least have a room, but I am sure I will keep checking.

Moral of the story - it pays to stalk if you have the time.

I had to change dates of a trip in mid-November once because of a work conflict. There wasn't anything for 5 nights in a studio. I booked BWV on an AP rate, even with 35% off it was almost $400 a night. I waitlisted the 5 nights (pool/garden) and also stalked. Nights 3, 4, 5 came open pretty fast, I booked it and changed the waitlist. Then night 2 came open, booked it and changed the waitlist. 28 days out the first night came open on the waitlist. Member Services automatically combined the reservations. Very happy to cancel the AP rate.

I'm stalking like crazy trying to get Poly for nov 13. I have the 12, 14-16.

With about 5-6 weeks to go, I snagged one night in a VGC studio in September for my husband and his friend. I stalked and got a 2nd night, WL did not pick it up. I kept telling DH how LUCKY he was that not only did I get one night, but 2 in a VGC studio. He was not as impressed as he should have been.

With about 5-6 weeks to go, I snagged one night in a VGC studio in September for my husband and his friend. I stalked and got a 2nd night, WL did not pick it up. I kept telling DH how LUCKY he was that not only did I get one night, but 2 in a VGC studio. He was not as impressed as he should have been.
I am impressed! :)

I've had so much luck stalking in the past that I had begun to think that the waitlist didn't work anymore. I've been stalking diligently for Columbus Day weekend for Beach Club. I know, total long shot. The RAT has yet to show a single Beach Club room to me, however my wait list did come through! I wish the waitlist system wasn't so mysterious.

I've been stalking as well. I was solid booked at Animal Kingdom Kidani but really wanted BLT one bedroom lake view. We are booked with our flights for November 24-Dec 5. Right now since deciding to stalk the site and hope for the best I am booked at BLT from November 26 to Dec 4. So waiting on November 24-26 at BLT and most importantly the final night 4-5 December. I was hoping today since the 7 month mark opened for those arriving on the 4th I could snag a BLT but the system has not allowed me in all day. Waiting on the phone for 35 minutes.. she saw nothing but said I had a waitlist so that would grab it.... Ugh i wish I could say oh she is right I won't have to worry but.... Stalking the site has proven better results for me than waitlist...

Just wondered about various RAT stalking techniques :) I have been Bookmarking the URL after I manually run the search. Keeps me from having to re-enter the dates and resorts every time. That and or keep the window open and refresh, refresh, refresh??

Agree with OP. Even though the waitlist system does seem to be improving, seems stalking gets us better odds for securing our desired rooms/dates.

Just wondered about various RAT stalking techniques :) I have been Bookmarking the URL after I manually run the search. Keeps me from having to re-enter the dates and resorts every time. That and or keep the window open and refresh, refresh, refresh??

If you are looking for a specific booking category, my advice is to skip the RAT - use the booking engine. That way, if it is available, you just book it.

Had a waitlist in place to extend our next stay, have been checking daily for a week or so. Yesterday the dates showed available, booked them online and canceled the waste of time waitlist.

:earsboy: Bill

Does stalking make any difference at >7 mo out? Or should I focus my stalking at 7mos and later (we are about 9 months now).

I agree, stalking has worked well for me. Recently found the one night I needed to complete my stay at a single resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!