Stalking vs. Waitlist - Stalking Wins Again

Three or so weeks ago, after waiting at least 2 weeks for a match to be completed (per it disappearing from the dashboard), I finally called into MS to have it matched up. The CM saw it but needed to take another step to verify they could finalize the match. What was explained to me is that they were very behind in matching waitlists and actually were working thru a mess because room availability had been released to the system after it was thought there had been rooms missed but after doing that it was discovered it wasn't actually available! A rather big oops. I know that time as lots of people reported about all the sudden availability.

Oh, that is a huge mess. I do remember the buzz about the availability, though I missed it myself. Maybe that's why the CM just told me that the waitlist was still active - perhaps she wasn't prepared to take that extra step while I was on the phone, and thought it was easier just to say the request was still active rather than explaining the whole situation. I didn't push, just asked her to verify and let it go. Thanks for the extra info!

Three or so weeks ago, after waiting at least 2 weeks for a match to be completed (per it disappearing from the dashboard), I finally called into MS to have it matched up. The CM saw it but needed to take another step to verify they could finalize the match. What was explained to me is that they were very behind in matching waitlists and actually were working thru a mess because room availability had been released to the system after it was thought there had been rooms missed but after doing that it was discovered it wasn't actually available! A rather big oops. I know that time as lots of people reported about all the sudden availability.

Oh, that is a huge mess. I do remember the buzz about the availability, though I missed it myself. Maybe that's why the CM just told me that the waitlist was still active - perhaps she wasn't prepared to take that extra step while I was on the phone, and thought it was easier just to say the request was still active rather than explaining the whole situation. I didn't push, just asked her to verify and let it go. Thanks for the extra info!

I wondered about that "sudden availability" when it was first reported since there hadn't been a declaration to support it. Interesting to hear that DVC decided to "fix the oops" by using priority waitlists. Hope that works out for everyone involved and that no one gets moved to another resort when they go to check in. If I were one of those with a reservation during the "extra availability" period, I'd do my very best to get there as early in the day as I could to minimize my chances of being moved somewhere besides the resort I booked.

Today as I was stalking for my weekend trip I cam across a studio at BR to help my reservation. I have a 1 bed for 2 of the nights and trying to piece it all together. After I hung up with DVC I received a call back saying that she noticed my waitlist and there was a 1 bed available to fill that. I was so happy she called me back but was a little surprised it never showed up on the RAT site. This just adds to the confusion on how the rooms get posted. Though my trip is now set I can't stop checking the RAT site since I ;ve been stalking for the last 2 months.

A lot of the posts here talk about waitlisting a low number of nights, but have people had success with getting a week long reservation through the waitlist? We had booked a week long stay in January in a BWV 1 BR Boardwalk view. We decided to try to downgrade to a studio with a boardwalk view to save points for later. Any chance of this coming through?

A lot of the posts here talk about waitlisting a low number of nights, but have people had success with getting a week long reservation through the waitlist? We had booked a week long stay in January in a BWV 1 BR Boardwalk view. We decided to try to downgrade to a studio with a boardwalk view to save points for later. Any chance of this coming through?

very little chance. I would switch to a Garden/Pool view. Much more Inventory than the board walk views

Very little if any part of the week overlaps with Marathon Weekend.

Otherwise, I agree with huskerfanatic7 - you.r best chance will be with the Pool/Garden category. I'd waitlist for both and if P/G comes through first, I'd waitlist again for Boardwalk View. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks @huskerfanatic7 and @CarolMN. Does the waitlist system only search for cancellations that match a pending waitlist request? Or will it search existing reservations and waitlist requests to see if someone with a reservation for the room type I want is on the waitist for the room type that I have reserved so that a switch can be made?

Thanks @huskerfanatic7 and @CarolMN. Does the waitlist system only search for cancellations that match a pending waitlist request? Or will it search existing reservations and waitlist requests to see if someone with a reservation for the room type I want is on the waitist for the room type that I have reserved so that a switch can be made?
The system will only attempt to match a cancellation with a request. It isn't sophisticated enough to look for "swaps".

The system will only attempt to match a cancellation with a request. It isn't sophisticated enough to look for "swaps".

And it really shouldn't look for swaps as it would likely move people with identical requests ahead of some that weren't identical but were made first and would otherwise match first to a cancellation.

Update: I have been stalking, and it does seem to be paying off. My waitlist is still active for BLT ST-TV (30Dec17-3Jan18), but I was able to add on another two nights to my current BLT 1BD-LV booking! So, I now have the correct dates all at BLT over New Year, I just need to change rooms! haha I need to combine my two reservations/cancel other AKV reservation though, so looks like someone is staying up late tonight in order to contact MS! :goodvibes

Today as I was stalking for my weekend trip I cam across a studio at BR to help my reservation. I have a 1 bed for 2 of the nights and trying to piece it all together. After I hung up with DVC I received a call back saying that she noticed my waitlist and there was a 1 bed available to fill that. I was so happy she called me back but was a little surprised it never showed up on the RAT site. This just adds to the confusion on how the rooms get posted. Though my trip is now set I can't stop checking the RAT site since I ;ve been stalking for the last 2 months.

forgive my ignorance - what is the RAT site?

I wish i could get akv ressie ugh

I'm not a particular fan of my home resort, but it was much easier to get into at Xmas than our other home resort, BLT haha, so I guess it has its ups and downs. What time of year/accommodation are you trying to get at AKV?

I had a waitlist disappear from my Member Dashboard - does that mean it's been filled? It hasn't shown up on my reservations list yet, and no points have been taken out of my account...

I had a waitlist disappear from my Member Dashboard - does that mean it's been filled? It hasn't shown up on my reservations list yet, and no points have been taken out of my account...

It means it's matched but it's a manual process for a CM to finalize. If you still see it listed in your waitlist section then that is what is going on. I'd expect with all the DVC activity that completing waitlists matches at this time is a low priority. It will just sit there until they get to that or you could call in and ask a CM to finalize the process. Most will be able to although some aren't always aware of the process.

Does stalking make any difference at >7 mo out? Or should I focus my stalking at 7mos and later (we are about 9 months now).

Stalking before 7 months limits your choices to your home resort only. Not many owners switch until the 7 month mark, but I expect there are only a few cancelations before 7 months. At 7 months you can look at any DVC resort.

Another shoutout to the waitlist! I was able to piece together my full four night stay at Beach Club over food and wine in a two bedroom. I started with one night at Beach Club at seven months, and waitlisted one night at a time. Each waitlist slowly came through and I would add the next night to my wait list. Super excited. I should add that I stalked quite a bit and never found any availability at Beach Club. Good job waitlist!!!!

I have a stalking win here.

I mistakenly forgot to book our first night that is less than 2 months away (airlines ticket booked; I must have had a moment of forgetfulness when I booked our vacation many moons ago and was floored I had mis-booked!).

I had the room we needed on the waitlist for a couple of weeks for the night I was missing, but being the obsessive person I am I was checking the RAT multiple times a day for a 2BR *anywhere* since the night we needed was completely booked (no studios, 1BRs or 2BRs anywhere).

When I checked the other night the 2BR was available (the exact resort and category I was on the waitlist for, no less), so I booked it manually and then de-activated my waitlist.

Needless to say I was disappointed my waitlist didn't come through and I had to manually grab it.

I need some pixie dust...because of Irma we had to change all of our plans. We originally did everything right and booked at the 11 month window. Now with a month away I'm trying to get any room that will sleep 5 for Sunday November 5th. Yes, marathon weekend/jersey week. I haven't bought airfare home either while I wait to see if I can get something. I stalked and managed a 1 bedroom at Bwv for Saturday, now need Sunday. This is for a short stay after my rebooked Disney cruise. I stalk about every hour, glad I'm retired. I have 2 waitlist right now. One to match the Bwv garden view 1 bedroom, and another for 1 bedroom at OKW. I'm ready to cut the trip short after Saturday but the rest of the family is holding out for a few more days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter