standard view room at AKL worth the $

bbchurch

Earning My Ears
I was wanting to know if anyone has stayed in the standard view room at AKL? Was it worth the money to just have a room at the lodge and not be able to see the animals from your room? Also anyone would you stay here if you could not swing the savanah view room?

We have just been relocated to AKL from our PO/FQ reservation because of the closure there. We are paying for 3 rooms so we took the standard view rooms. I have done alot of searches about this and apparently all the standard views are of the parking lot. However from what I have heard it does sound like there are alot of public viewing places to see the animals. We don't really stay in our rooms for very much time so it should be okay for us. I have heard different preferences on whether to be on the giraffe trail or ostrich trail sides. Hope this helps a little bit.

We were in a Savannah view room and it was great. But I would have enjoyed my stay there even if we were in a standard room. There are lots of public viewing areas - both inside and outside of the lodge. In fact, there are viewing areas that you can pause at while you are walking down the hall to your room. That made the walk seem much shorter than it was to the room becuase I would stop at each area and look at the animals for a minute or two. The lodge is fantastic. Request a room on the zebra trail near the back elevator if possible. The elevator will take you right to the pool, arcade and restaurant areas. There is so much to see at the lodge that we spent almost two days just enjoying the resort and that is really unusual for us. I am sure that you will enjoy your stay at the AKL. It is now my favorite Disney resort. Sherry

Some people say absolutely not. I don't agree, I think it's enough just to be at AKL. I stayed in one of these rooms and I could see the front area where the cars pull up to the door, but not the parking lot - trees in the way. With the sliding window closed I couldn't hear any noise from out there - except when the Character Caravan bus came in blaring LOUD music in the morning. No more of that, thank goodness.

You may want to ask for an upper floor. I am not sure I'd like having a room right smack next to the bus stops - if those are indeed guest rooms over there.

We had standard view rooms at AKL and they ended up giving us rooms over the people pens. It was right where the giraffes walked by several times a day and we didn't mind the pens. Perhaps you could request one of these rooms. There are many areas to just sit and watch the animals around the hotel so i think a standard would be ok but it is certainly exciting to get up and see giraffes feeding outside your room in the morning. Off the subject but houskeeping told us to be sure to close our curtains when we dressed because they monitor the outside with video cameras for the animal's safety and they can see in the rooms too.

The people pens are fenced in areas they would put the guests if the hotel had to be evacuated as there are wild animals running around on the grounds. debm

Originally posted by jamounger
The people pens are fenced in areas they would put the guests if the hotel had to be evacuated as there are wild animals running around on the grounds. debm

Thanks Deb! Which part of the hotel is closest to the pens :p

We were in rooms 2372 and 2374 on the kudu Trail. The giraffes were outside our balcony every morning and every afternoon. DebM

I thought the standard rooms were only on Giraffe Trail and Ostrich Trail. Did you get the rooms on Kudu Trail by being upgraded or were they standard rooms as well? Thanks for the info DebM.

We just got back from our first stay at AKL the end of last month and it was awesome. My boyfriend, grandson and I had a Deluxe Savannah view room on the 5th floor and my daughter and SIL had a standard view that overlooked the pool. Both rooms were wonderful, although when we go back next year, just the three of us, we'll get the Savannah view again...my grandson LOVED watching the animals and it kept him entertained during our precious few moments of "down time". I guess it all depends on preference, but my daughter and SIL were THRILLED with their room.

Donna C.

If they were upgrades we were not charged. I think they use these rooms for upgrades because if you were paying for savannah and loked over the pens you might complain. If it is a free upgrade everyone is happy. DebM

Last December we stayed on the Giraffe Trail 5th floor standard view. Our rooms were $104/night so we did not get a free upgrade but the view was fine. Yes it is of the parking lot but mostly you see the tree tops and the Porte Cochere. We did have solid walls on our balcony which reduced sight lines. We also went with a group so the standard view was the best for all.

Down the hall from us were 2 viewing areas for the savannahs (but without chairs). On the 2nd floor are numerous viewing balconies with rocking chairs. Also there is a beautiful room off the lobby (right behind the check-in desk) that was wonderful for viewing the animals. We were able to see the animals on our down time but having the standard view room prevented having to force our boys to leave the room (which may have been an issue with a savannah view)

I agree you would not want the standard view rooms on the way to the bus stop!

I posted similar information on another thread where you were deciding between two resorts. I wasn't sure if you saw it there, so I am posting here, too. Hope this information helps!

You and your wife will LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I stayed there in August of 2002. We didn't have a Savannah View Room, but because they had run out of King Bed Rooms, they did upgrade us to a Pool View.

The pool is glorious. I could have stood on my balcony and stared at it for hours, but there were too many other fun things to do.

For years and years, the only resort I had ever stayed at was the Contemporary. AKL is just as wonderful.

It's so sensory. Every one of your five senses is peaked.

Number One (to me) were the wonderful smells throughout the entire lodge. Part of that comes from the two restaurants (Boma and Jiko--both outstanding). But the other part of it just must be the newness of the resort. It smells so fresh.

Second (for me) the sounds. The African music softly plays in the background throughout the breathtaking lobby and even when you are on your way out to the parking lot. The music adds to the theme in a very special way.

Visually speaking, art abounds everywhere! There is an excellent tour every afternoon and it's free to all hotel guests. The art in the lodge is museum quality and visually stunning.

If you take the tour (and make it all the way to the end...about a half hour), there are several plates of free appetizers to taste and a chat with one of the chefs at Jiko's (an EXCELLENT restaurant, their food is delicious). We were told by the chef that Jiko's has the largest selection of African wines in North America and that their one restaurant sells more than 1% of the world's consumption of African wine.

As for touch, many things made the lodge a tactile bonanza. The wood in the lodge is so solid and sturdy. I loved holding onto the wood railing as I looked over the balcony into the five-stories-tall lobby. Some of the art can be picked up (some is encased). There's even art in your guest room. Remember to touch the work of art on the wall by the front doors, as you leave the lobby every day. It says on the sign below this artwork that you will have good luck for the day if you rub it on your way out the door.

I didn't mind not having a Savannah View at all. Just a few steps from any room in the lodge are huge windows looking out over the Savannah, as well as, comfortable seating that envelopes you as you sit and take in the view. The areas are quiet, uncrowded and so pleasant. You could spend an hour or more there, just gazing at the animals.

Would it have been a treat to wake up in my room with giraffes just out of my reach? Of course, but this hotel is so amazing and caters to its guests so well, I didn't even have time to miss it.

The only improvement I could possibly make would be for more lighting in the guest rooms. As I understand it, the lighting is kept somewhat dim for the animals. Believe it or not, they are that close to your room. You could bring a reading light with you, though. And it's really not THAT dim. During the day, sunshine lights up the whole room.

The pool is amazing. It looks like a natural spring. There's two very romantic and secluded hot tubs outside, also. There is an entire outdoor viewing area (and walk) to see the animals just outside the lobby. And Disney has trained staff present and able to share information about the animals and their habits. Almost all of the employees at the lodge are from Africa. Talking to each of them was such a treat. They were a storehouse of information about the history of the artifacts and the lodge.

One thing I did not know about until I returned home. There is an early morning safari for AKL concierge guests only. I believe there's an additional cost of $40, but from what I understand, it's phenomenal.

I've heard that this safari differs from the one at the Animal Kingdom theme park. In this safari, you see dozens of animals and they are close enough to your car to touch. I'm planning to spend at least part of my stay at AKL this summer so that I can check it out.

I want to try an Epcot resort for part of this upcoming visit, because I fell in love with Illuminations last summer. But that's another story! What an amazing fireworks extravaganza. It actually made goose bumps and tears appear.

Best wishes on a SUPER trip. Happy Anniversary!

OllieDannyandMe if I had not decided to stay there already after reading you post I would be changing in a heartbeat. Disney didn't put you up to saying all that did they? Just Kidding!
Thank you all for the helpful advice. My wife keeps asking what is so special about this hotel? I just smile and say I guess we will have to find out when we get there!

Wow OllieDannyandMe, that was wonderful. I was wondering myself about the standard view since that's what we went with instead of the savannah view when we upgrade from the POFQ. I can't wait!

BBChurch - Looks like we're going to be there at the same time. I'll be the frazzled mom chasing two kids (3 and 8) while the grandparents look on indulgently and my husband is oblivious. wait, I probaby described half the women there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter