Star Tours for 6 year old

Burgermom

Mouseketeer
Up until this point I was under the impression that Star Tours was appropriate for any kid who is tall enough but I just read in a tour guide that Star Tours is scary and should be avoided for kids under 8 years of age.
Is that accurate? I thought that most things I read said that it wasn't particularly scary.

It’s a simulator and if your child had have some experience with roller coasters, go from there. It is a real good simulator but nothing crazy, imagine being inside a small movie theatre with 3D glasses and good special motion effects.

It's DISNEY scary.
You know, It's a Small World can be considered dark and scary too.
If the 6 yr old likes Star Wars and roller coasters, it will be a blast. Tell them to be prepared to hold on to the arm rests, the seats move, and there is one particular part where the seats are tilted because the ship you are "flying" in gets kind of stuck on it's side.
It's a simulator tho. It's an absolute blast. Not particularly scary except that it's dark in the theater, and the fast flying through space is a good simulation.

It really depends on the kid. One of my 5 year olds loved it and rode it multiple times, the other hated it and only tried it once.

Up until this point I was under the impression that Star Tours was appropriate for any kid who is tall enough but I just read in a tour guide that Star Tours is scary and should be avoided for kids under 8 years of age.
Is that accurate? I thought that most things I read said that it wasn't particularly scary.

Both of my kids rode it before they were 6, and neither of them thought it was scary. One of them thinks everything is scary and wasn't bothered by it.

I suggest watching a you tube video and deciding for yourself (or have the child watch).

My youngest rode it when he was 4 and loved. He still loves it. However, my 14 year old does not like it. Ds14 also does not like roller coasters.

Just took my 4yr old and 6yr old DGDs on it. Both loved it! The 6yr old did want to know if we’d actually gone to another galaxy

My son was 5 on our first trip and he loved it. He wanted to go on over and over. He's a big Star Wars fan. It's not objectively scary, but I can see how it could be scary both from the jerky motion and the visuals. Its hard to predict since the ride is different every time. Some versions are definitely a little scarier than others.

If your kid generally likes thrill rides, it's not scary. My kid is too scared to watch Star Wars but this has been his favorite ride since 4. :rotfl2:

I took all 3 of mine by 6...i actually just took my 3.5 year old and she was fine. Unless your kiddo is pretty sensitive etc. I'd think it's be fine - maybe watch videos of the ride online with them first.

I rode it for the first time when I was 6 and my overactive imagination had me convinced we were actually lost in space and I freaked out on the ride. I think this is what they mean by "too scary". I think it can be too realistic for kids with active imaginations who aren't used to rides like that. It was my first theme park experience. My mom said for the rest of the trip I was asking her "is this ride going to scare me, too?" So for a more sensitive child, it could be too much.

My DD did not like thrill rides when she was younger. She hated BTMR, still doesn't care for Splash or TOT, was not the biggest fan of TT or SM For a few years; and would not set foot on RNR or EE for years. (On her first trip at age 2, she took one look at Dumbo- pointed up and said "I'm not riding him!" if that tells you anything). At age 5, she absolutely LOVED Star Tours and wanted to ride it over and over. We told her going in that she wasn't really going anywhere like she did on the roller coaster- she was just in a room that bounced up and down and side to side. I think that made her feel totally secure because she was not remotely scared.

8 sounds kind of silly for Star Tours for most kids. Obviously, there are some kids (just like some adults) who won't like it(... I was evacuated out the chicken exit at HM when I was 8. :scared1:). Makes me wonder what that guide says about the other thrill rides.

My DD, 7, hates ToT and Haunted Mansion and ITTBAB. She LOVES Star Tours. I would give it a try if you child likes Star Wars in general. I don't think it is scary.

If your 6 year old is not afraid of Star Wars movies in general (the characters, flying through asteroids) and does not get motion sick, I don't think there is anything to worry about

When my son was 6 he went on star tours twice. The first time he didn't wear the glasses. The second time he did and he liked it much better. (I said isn't it blurry without the glasses?) I thought he might be scared so I kept trying to hold his arm and he's say stop it! haha so I guess he wasn't scared. He liked it enough to go on twice! But he is a star wars fan so that might make a difference.

Hi ... agree with others here & something else for you to consider:

* Watch YouTube video to gauge your child's reaction to the "images" he is seeing

* Have a talk and explain it's all "pretend" ... not going anywhere ... just feels like it

* Explain to your child he should "close his eyes" if he sees something scary & to look again after a few seconds to see if he still finds the images still "scary" (if yes then close eyes again)

* I would be more concerned about the "motion sickness" aspect of this ride.
I don't usually experience "motion sickness" but this makes me motion sick.
Therefore, explain to your child if he's feeling "motion sick" he needs to keep his eyes closed until the end of the ride (he'll still feel the chair moving so he still needs to hold on tight to the armchair though).

Good luck! :-)

When my DS8 was four, he was afraid of the Winnie the Pooh ride and Star Tours was one of the attractions he wanted to repeat. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!