Star wars day at sea

F_abian

Earning My Ears
I am going on a DCL in February which is also Star Wars day at sea. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I am interested in what Disney will do on the cruise. What are some things you like about Star Wars day at sea and some tips you could give me? (bonus question, do you guys like Star Wars day at sea or Marvel day at sea better ?)

The theme of the ship changes for the day. The hallway music goes Star Wars. Troopers and officers of the First Order roam the ship. There are BB8 races in the atrium (sign up in advance - fun). Lots of people dress for the day.

If you go into the trip reports section and search, a few people have written up wonderfully detailed accounts of the day with lots of photos.

We are HUGE Star Wars fans. I've done 2 SWDAS at this point and have a Marvel one coming up this February. We absolutely LOVED our Star Wars experience. Being on a Disney cruise is already a magical thing. Walking out of your cabin and hearing Star Wars music piped through the hallway on Star Wars Day is even MORE magical.

Characters walk around the ship that day including Jawas that you can have children trade junk with them for. Stormtroopers are on the pool deck and walking around. The ship's horn typically plays a snippet of Star Wars music (Imperial march on the horn is amaaaaaaaazing).

One of the highlights for us both times was Jedi Training Academy and watching my daughter participate. She also got to meet Rey on the last cruise (a super highlight for her).

I enjoyed being stopped by imperial officers and questioned about rebel activity. However, we went on the 2nd Star Wars day at sea that was offered. I don't know what has changed. At that time, the meets and greets were very limited which frustrated me (they only let you meet one character, and it was partly luck of the draw). Hopefully they fixed that. The dinner menu was terrific (I mean the menu itself).

The character interactions however were terrific. Storm troopers were awesome, and Boba Fett made an appearance at the top of the funnel.

I also absolutely loved some of the costumes that guests brought.

We enjoyed it once. However, we have made the conscious choice that as much as we loved it, it's not worth the extra $1000 to do it again. Maybe if they expanded it so that it's not just the one day.

I am going on a DCL in February which is also Star Wars day at sea. I am a huge Star Wars fan and I am interested in what Disney will do on the cruise. What are some things you like about Star Wars day at sea and some tips you could give me? (bonus question, do you guys like Star Wars day at sea or Marvel day at sea better ?)

We did 2 of them last year and they were fun :) On Wednesday night the Dark side takes over the ship in the Atrium and the next day is all about SW from meet and greets, to interactions all over the ship, to menu and cool drinks and finishing with fireworks. Truly a fun experience and they have really fine tuned the process to book meet and greets over previous years. Loved that the guests dressed up and there were guest speakers as well which was pretty fun.

I went in April and you can do all 3 meets- Darth Vader, chewie and the droids. You booked the times on line ahead of time. They aleo have special food and decorations. You get fireworks twice, star wars and pirate night.

I went in April and you can do all 3 meets- Darth Vader, chewie and the droids. You booked the times on line ahead of time. They also have special food and decorations. You get fireworks twice, star wars and pirate night.
Same for us in March: you could book all the meet and greets in advance, plus there were many characters going around the ship. Everyone dressed up (there are special SW makeovers available but we did not do them), SW music all day, SW quiz games, fireworks and a themed evening buffet (I think it was a dessert buffet); we even did the porg scavenger hunt, which is cute but underwhelming. We had a blast! We did miss out on rewatching the movies on the big screen because there was so much to see and do!

We enjoyed it once. However, we have made the conscious choice that as much as we loved it, it's not worth the extra $1000 to do it again. Maybe if they expanded it so that it's not just the one day.

We've been planning another cruise and when i went through all the prices, the SWDAS cruises were among the cheapest, next to the Halloween cruises and some of the Christmas cruises. Maybe they've lowered the price?

We were on a cruise that was turned into a SWDAS. Pretty fun photo ops. If they have the Jawa roaming around, they like to trade things, so bring something notable to trade. Something shiny and not available from the ship is preferred, but they don't always trade stuff.

We really enjoyed the SWDAS cruise last year and are going again Jan. 2019. I couldn't find the complete list of guest speakers from 2018, but here are some.

2018 Star Wars Day at Sea

• January 6-13: Scott Trowbridge, Walt Disney Imagineering creative portfolio executive for Star Wars franchise
  • January 13-20: TBD
  • January 20-27: Matt Martin, Lucasfilm Story Group creative executive
  • January 27-Feb. 3: TBD
  • February 3-10: TBD
  • February 10-17: Delilah Dawson, author of the “Phasma,” “The Perfect Weapon” and other Star Wars stories
  • February 17-24: Pablo Hidalgo, Lucasfilm Story Group creative executive
  • February 24-March 3: Jarrett J. Krosoczka, writer and illustrator of “Jedi Academy: A New Class” children’s book series
  • March 3-10: TBD
  • March 10-17: Troy Alders, Lucas Licensing art director
  • March 17-24: Warwick Davis, actor, multiple Star Wars films
  • March 24-31: Katie Cook, artist featured in Star Wars trading card sets, children’s books and web comics
  • March 31-April 7: Leland Chee, Lucasfilm Story Group managing Holocron continuity database
  • April 7-14: Russell Paul, Industrial Light & Magic, asset and digital supervisor
  • April 14-21: Ashley Eckstein, Her Universe founder, voice of Ahsoka Tano on Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels

Here's a list from 2017

czvjghpusaes6yo-jpg.210361

We've been planning another cruise and when i went through all the prices, the SWDAS cruises were among the cheapest, next to the Halloween cruises and some of the Christmas cruises. Maybe they've lowered the price?

Yup. I just looked and compared to the same cruise none SWDAS, it was cheaper. Weird!

We did the Star Wars themed cruise this past April and loved it. For us, Star Wars wins hands down over Marvel (personal bias to each of us).

My suggestion is to try to schedule your personal meet-n-greets with the Droids, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc. early into the cruise (ie. 2nd & 3rd day), and NOT on the Star Wars Day. Also do this for some of the other Star Wars themed activities offered if appealing to you (i.e. how to draw a Star Wars character, Star Wars trivia, etc). We found it more fun spreading these out, so you get something interesting each day. On the actual Star Wars day we went between the pool and the atrium areas quite a bit to see who we'd find roaming around and get the photo op. Bring your child's Star Wars costume to wear this day. The Jedi Academy is another good experience to try out. There are endless amounts of photo ops. I will also say to consider the photo package, as I noticed many of my personal photos were not as good (lighting in the rooms).

After this experience, I prefer the themed cruise. You may get withdrawals afterwards thinking that the next cruise must be themed to maximize the fun.
Our week flew by! Enjoy your cruise!!!

My suggestion is to try to schedule your personal meet-n-greets with the Droids, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc. early into the cruise (ie. 2nd & 3rd day), and NOT on the Star Wars Day.

This is important. Although on our Marvel day, for example, Marvel Day was the very first full day of the cruise. But they did have some of the character meets on later days as well. And if you sign up for all the meets, you will spend the entire day in line. We missed so many other activities.

My suggestion is to try to schedule your personal meet-n-greets with the Droids, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, etc. early into the cruise (ie. 2nd & 3rd day), and NOT on the Star Wars Day. Also do this for some of the other Star Wars themed activities offered if appealing to you (i.e. how to draw a Star Wars character, Star Wars trivia, etc).
If you aren't dressing up for SWDAS then this is a good idea. However it doesn't work very well if you want to be in costume for the photos. We have one person in our group who wears a full costume (takes a while to get dressed), so doing the character meets & photos on SWDAS is the easiest.

This is important. Although on our Marvel day, for example, Marvel Day was the very first full day of the cruise. But they did have some of the character meets on later days as well. And if you sign up for all the meets, you will spend the entire day in line. We missed so many other activities.
Star Wars day had 3 meets plus the Jedi training for kids. We booked our 3 Star Wars meets early in the day - 9.30, 10 & 10.30am. We were done before 11am and had the rest of the day for other things - the guest speaker, the new movie, other activities. We could have started our meets at 8am but thought it might be difficult to get our teenage DS up and dressed in costume on time.

Star Wars day had 3 meets plus the Jedi training for kids. We booked our 3 Star Wars meets early in the day - 9.30, 10 & 10.30am. We were done before 11am and had the rest of the day for other things - the guest speaker, the new movie, other activities. We could have started our meets at 8am but thought it might be difficult to get our teenage DS up and dressed in costume on time.
It sounds like the Star Wars meets are much shorter. Which is encouraging, since we're looking at doing that next. One of the Marvel meets took two and a half hours. Our first one of the day was about 20 minutes, so that second one really threw us when it dragged on and on.

It sounds like the Star Wars meets are much shorter. Which is encouraging, since we're looking at doing that next. One of the Marvel meets took two and a half hours. Our first one of the day was about 20 minutes, so that second one really threw us when it dragged on and on.
Was that queuing time or the actual meet? Our longest queue was the last one. They had 2 lines - one for those with our time & one for the earlier time. The queues may have gotten longer as the day went on. But our meet was just photos. So a couple of poses, and a mix up of our group - kids only, all of us together.

Was that queuing time or the actual meet? Our longest queue was the last one. They had 2 lines - one for those with our time & one for the earlier time. The queues may have gotten longer as the day went on. But our meet was just photos. So a couple of poses, and a mix up of our group - kids only, all of us together.
It was a single ticket to meet with three separate characters and there’s was a lot of waiting between each one in addition to the initial queuing.

It was a single ticket to meet with three separate characters and there’s was a lot of waiting between each one in addition to the initial queuing.
Ah right, I understand now. On Star Wars cruises you get a ticket for each character, and you can choose what times you want to meet each character. I think they allowed 30 mins for each meet. We had enough time between our first 2 that we got other photos in the atrium while waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!