Star Wars Expansion

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
I know that Disneyland is developing a whole Star Wars land and I believe is expected to be open by 2018 (or maybe 2019). Is Disney World also expanding and if so, when is it expected to be finished? We'll be returning some day, probably to Disney World but it won't be until 2020 or so.

I know that Disneyland is developing a whole Star Wars land and I believe is expected to be open by 2018 (or maybe 2019). Is Disney World also expanding and if so, when is it expected to be finished? We'll be returning some day, probably to Disney World but it won't be until 2020 or so.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge at DHS will be a nearly identical version of the one at Disneyland. Both are expected to open in 2019.

WDW is expanding and adding Galaxy's Edge to Hollywood Studios. It's expected to open sometime in 2019... but it's Disney, so don't hold them to that year!

Thanks for the quick replies. Glad to have it confirmed that they will be expanding WDW as well. We have a cruise booked for 2019 so at earliest, we'd go summer 2020. Was hoping a bit earlier so that it would be open before we are planning...but I guess since it's at one park, that may help lessen crowds at other parks. Will have to see..but glad to hear it is coming here too.

Disneyland will open Summer 2019. WDW will open fall/late 2019. This is confirmed by Disney.

I clicked on this thread hoping that it was a rumor that Disney came to its senses and was further expanding Galaxy's Edge. I'll repeat my previous wish: that Galaxy's Edge eventually becomes a jump point for a future, larger SW land (and dare I hope for a fifth gate?). Probably not in my lifetime - but a boy can dream.

For the OP - a visit in 2020 is probably ideal. All the folks who lined up at opening in 2019 should just about be through the queues by then. That place is going to be a madhouse with the crowds for quite some time.

I clicked on this thread hoping that it was a rumor that Disney came to its senses and was further expanding Galaxy's Edge. I'll repeat my previous wish: that Galaxy's Edge eventually becomes a jump point for a future, larger SW land (and dare I hope for a fifth gate?). Probably not in my lifetime - but a boy can dream.

For the OP - a visit in 2020 is probably ideal. All the folks who lined up at opening in 2019 should just about be through the queues by then. That place is going to be a madhouse with the crowds for quite some time.

I thought it was something way more too...

One word, people: GOOGLE

Not sure about an entire park for SW but both lands have an area attached to them for future expansion.

THats why I'm hoping seeing guardians built right now and closing great movie ride for Mickey opening around that time would spread out the extreme influx of traffic. I was at hogmesde a little more than a month after it opened and it was a complete madhouse with the rest of islands being a bottleneck from the crowd, so I'm hoping disney prevents that!!

I really hope its open by 2019. Would be weird for them not to open the same year.

Is Galaxy's Edge supposed to be just from the era of the newest movies (Force Awakens, Last Jedi)? If so, where would characters like Darth & Boba Fett's place in the parks be?

Is Galaxy's Edge supposed to be just from the era of the newest movies (Force Awakens, Last Jedi)? If so, where would characters like Darth & Boba Fett's place in the parks be?
No, Galaxy’s Edge is from none of the movies. It’s a well known trading port to the characters in the movie but unknown to us.

Yes, it is supposed to be set in the era of the new films. If they stick to that it will be hard to have characters like Darth Vadar and Boba Fett.

Yes, it is supposed to be set in the era of the new films. If they stick to that it will be hard to have characters like Darth Vadar and Boba Fett.

Yeah...got to read between the lines on this one, @rteetz

...they're worried about "their stuff"...but wouldn't go as far as ticking off the fans that built the franchise...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter