Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are going to announce a date for anything like that in this part of the year, they're going to hold such an announcement for Destination D in less than two weeks.

Fingers crossed but super doubtful that they will announce the opening this year. Or even the back half of next year.

We are going in Nov 2019 regardless. Either we will get the chance to see Galaxy's Edge - or be spared from the chaos by just missing it! ;)

I think they'll try to avoid setting a date as long as they possibly can.

#1: See the Rivers of Light debacle where they set the date and then couldn't get things done in time AT ALL and had all kinds of problems.
#2: You aren't the only one trying to make the next trip be when it opens. I think they want to keep people guessing a bit because if they say they're opening it the weekend after Thanksgiving (or whatever), they're afraid attendance will fall off a cliff until that time. I mean, I realize they've already said "late fall", but that's at least somewhat generic and I know there are people who have trips booked for October and early November in the hopes that GE will be open. I think they'll be disappointed, but those people exist.
#3: There are surely other reasons I'm not thinking of right now, but the first two I mentioned are probably the biggest ones.

I know nothing official, I've just been reading forums and following along for quite some time now.

Oh yes I completely get all that. I follow the park stuff extremely closely.
It just makes it hard to plan because we don't want to go next year until it is open. We usually go in October but know it's not going to be open then so we decided we will go later. And we are DVC members and the way booking has been lately for availability we have to book at our 11 month window which is coming up. It would just make that easier. My husband can apply for vacation later this month so the hopes are he can get Christmas week off and we can go down then. And if it's not open by then it won't matter for our 2019 trip. He may not be able to get that week though and we may have to look at other options. If we couldn't do that we I would prefer the last week of November(DH bday is that week). But not if GE isn't open yet lol. So with those variables it makes it tough to plan because if we make a wrong choice we may not be able to get a room on alternate dates.

Star Wars Celebration next Spring seems like a good time to announce a WDW date

Historically...
Feb 7th they announced opening of Pandora for May 27th so 3.75mo ahead

Feb 16th they announced opening of TSL for June 30th so 4.5mo ahead but it was 1mo late due to the AS2 roof

Celebration is mid April and 3.5mo out is late July/early August. So that could fit for DL but maybe still to early for WDW?

Oh dear, I am so not into SW:GE that I totally put it from my mind when choosing our dates for next years family trip.

We are going Nov 30 - Dec 8, 2019! Yikes!

Any hope that they will hold off opening SW:GE until after we are safely back home?

Oh dear, I am so not into SW:GE that I totally put it from my mind when choosing our dates for next years family trip.

We are going Nov 30 - Dec 8, 2019! Yikes!

Any hope that they will hold off opening SW:GE until after we are safely back home?
I’m hoping for the same thing! I enjoy Star Wars but have no desire to battle crowds. We just want to see Disney at Christmas!

I’m hoping for the same thing! I enjoy Star Wars but have no desire to battle crowds. We just want to see Disney at Christmas!

Yes, I like SW too, but not enough to want to deal with the insanity that the opening of GE may bring! LOL!

Oh, well...I'm going to say, if it is open then we get to see it. If it doesn't open until later or even Jan, 2020 or after, even better, we get to have a quieter visit! Plus smaller crowds! We can't lose. LOL!

Yes, I like SW too, but not enough to want to deal with the insanity that the opening of GE may bring! LOL!

Oh, well...I'm going to say, if it is open then we get to see it. If it doesn't open until later or even Jan, 2020 or after, even better, we get to have a quieter visit! Plus smaller crowds! We can't lose. LOL!
I feel like I barely survived hogsmede a month after opening, and there’s only one other franchise that can bring more dedicated people than potter and that’s Star Wars... I’m avoiding for six months, but I’ll try to make a trip in between galaxy’s edge and runaway railway because I REALLY want to see runaway railway

Also yay casual Star Wars fans!!

I would appreciate being there at opening. It is a spectacle. I think where people get themselves in trouble is by expecting to be able to power through the new park area rather than realizing that this is their first visit there, and that they can look forward to a normal visit next time.

What i dont understand is why Dis would release a soft date of " Late fall 2019". Xmas is the absolute busiest time of the year and now u got everyone on the planet planning their trip for xmas thinkn its a safe bet to se swge. Now u just took the busiest time and made it worse, xmas time at disney is goin to be overwhelming. They already max capacity and close gates around noon on xmas eve and xmas day without the expected swge release.

What i dont understand is why Dis would release a soft date of " Late fall 2019". Xmas is the absolute busiest time of the year and now u got everyone on the planet planning their trip for xmas thinkn its a safe bet to se swge. Now u just took the busiest time and made it worse, xmas time at disney is goin to be overwhelming. They already max capacity and close gates around noon on xmas eve and xmas day without the expected swge release.
Because that’s when the land will be ready.

Guess better question would be why did they plan it so it would be ready then - but my guess is just how it happened and when it could get done in the middle of all the other construction going on

Try reading my post properly next time and save the useless comment. I didnt ask why wdw decided to open swge in late fall, i said i dont know why they would release a soft date at that time. All that has done is cause people that vacation in the fall push their vacation back and people in the spring move theirs up to around xmas which is the busiest time of year. Even if they do plan on opening the park late fall, they didnt need to release so far in advance causing such an obvious congestion.

Try reading my post properly next time and save the useless comment. I didnt ask why wdw decided to open swge in late fall, i said i dont know why they would release a soft date at that time. All that has done is cause people that vacation in the fall push their vacation back and people in the spring move theirs up to around xmas which is the busiest time of year. Even if they do plan on opening the park late fall, they didnt need to release so far in advance causing such an obvious congestion.
They announce a time frame for every major project. That’s the time frame for this project. No matter when they open this land people will flock to it. They didn’t do it so far in advance compared to any other project they do.

Guess better question would be why did they plan it so it would be ready then - but my guess is just how it happened and when it could get done in the middle of all the other construction going on

Yup, they should have had official public opening the 2nd week in January and if it was ready earlier they should have just sold preview passes for $250 a pop.

Yup, they should have had official public opening the 2nd week in January and if it was ready earlier they should have just sold preview passes for $250 a pop.
Preview passes for Pixar Pier, just a retheme with a ride overlay went for $199. These will be more than $250. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter