Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully, if he was asked(maybe required) to include this setting, it doesn't effect the quality of the story.

His most recent Thrawn book fed right into the Rebels animated show and included a character from the show. It didn’t have a negative impact on the book and I assume the same will be true here.

Rebels has been a great addition to the universe. Was surprised to enjoy it so much. (Just got to Thrawn's introduction.)

I kind of want to pick it up just because it’s parks-related but it’s really hard for me to get into fiction-related books for some reason

@HTH Patron I agree, I thought Rebels was great! I was sad when I heard that it was ending. I just the series finale last week and it was amazing :) You've got some great episodes ahead of you. Hopefully they'll follow it up with another animated show that is equally good. There are some rumors out there of what it may be but don't look for any of them until you finish Rebels!

Confirmation its in 4K, thats nice ;)

Not sure I understood his explanation of the motion blur though, and I am a tech / video game guy. I don't see why there is motion blur, unless its the projectors.
From what I caught it's because the actual screen will be curved and the one they were showing it on was flat-- and the crew will be sitting inwards of the edges of the screen....

From what I caught it's because the actual screen will be curved and the one they were showing it on was flat-- and the crew will be sitting inwards of the edges of the screen....
The screen will be a dome outside of the windows too. The windows won't be the screens but will work like actual windows instead.

The screens being outside the windows sounds super cool. I wonder if the windows will be artfully dirty at all, to add some analog realism.

So, right now I'm envisioning a slightly fancier version of Star Tours? There's supposed to be some kind of personal interactive element though, right? I don't suppose each rider somehow can control the ship's movement...I can't imagine how they could pull something like that off without it taking ridiculously long to get through the queue line. However, if they could somehow manage that, then there's a small chance I might actually be able to ride it. Right now I'm assuming this will be like any other simulator which means it would make me terribly motion sick. But being able to control the movement yourself takes that away. (Just like how driving a car doesn't make you sick, while being a passenger in the same car can.)

So, right now I'm envisioning a slightly fancier version of Star Tours? There's supposed to be some kind of personal interactive element though, right? I don't suppose each rider somehow can control the ship's movement...I can't imagine how they could pull something like that off without it taking ridiculously long to get through the queue line. However, if they could somehow manage that, then there's a small chance I might actually be able to ride it. Right now I'm assuming this will be like any other simulator which means it would make me terribly motion sick. But being able to control the movement yourself takes that away. (Just like how driving a car doesn't make you sick, while being a passenger in the same car can.)

It’s going to be quite a bit different than Star Tours in that you aren’t just passively sitting there and watching what happens but controlling it and then the view is rendered in real time based on your controls. Not sure exactly how the controls will work with 6 people - if one corrals movement, one controls weapons, one controls communications, etc

It’s going to be quite a bit different than Star Tours in that you aren’t just passively sitting there and watching what happens but controlling it and then the view is rendered in real time based on your controls. Not sure exactly how the controls will work with 6 people - if one corrals movement, one controls weapons, one controls communications, etc

Thanks, I just found the other thread too and I read up on that. Sounds really cool, but unless I can convince the other 5 people I'm with to let me drive OR ELSE :crazy2:, I'm thinking my safest bet right now is to not get my hopes up for being able to ride this. I'll be curious how it all ends up working!

That reminds me of mission space but I'm sure it is going to be quite different then that as well. Maybe they could though use the concept of each person on the crew gets a different job. Pilot, Navigator, gunner, etc.

That reminds me of mission space but I'm sure it is going to be quite different then that as well. Maybe they could though use the concept of each person on the crew gets a different job. Pilot, Navigator, gunner, etc.

I thought of Mission Space as well - but like executed to a much greater degree in that your actions will actual impact what is happening and immediately.

I think you are correct that their will be different roles, just not sure what all 6 roles can be .... and as mentioned by others, will you be negatively impacted in your "status" if someone else in your cockpit (but not part of your group) messes up? Or will they only put people of similar "level" together? Lots of questions!

I thought of Mission Space as well - but like executed to a much greater degree in that your actions will actual impact what is happening and immediately.

I think you are correct that their will be different roles, just not sure what all 6 roles can be .... and as mentioned by others, will you be negatively impacted in your "status" if someone else in your cockpit (but not part of your group) messes up? Or will they only put people of similar "level" together? Lots of questions!

I think you have to have a way where others cannot screw up the experience for you. Maybe not as obvious as mission space where autopilot takes over but I think you have to have that. Who wants to wait in line an hour, get one **** at a simular and get a "sorry - you died" type ending that is outside of their control?

My thinking is more of a choose your own adventure type approach. Your actions (and others) affect what direction the story goes but all the different endings are still positive type endings just different so everybody leaves with a good feeling about the ride. Could have something like if you shoot down 1-3 tie fighter story does direction A, 4-6 and it goes direction B but none of them result in your getting destroyed or failing your mission you just have to do different things if you don't shoot down enough fighters. Kinda like a star tours but instead of scene A to scene B being random, what scene B you get is based on the actions of the crew which then lead to diferent scene Cs and so on.

I think you have to have a way where others cannot screw up the experience for you. Maybe not as obvious as mission space where autopilot takes over but I think you have to have that. Who wants to wait in line an hour, get one **** at a simular and get a "sorry - you died" type ending that is outside of their control?

My thinking is more of a choose your own adventure type approach. Your actions (and others) affect what direction the story goes but all the different endings are still positive type endings just different so everybody leaves with a good feeling about the ride. Could have something like if you shoot down 1-3 tie fighter story does direction A, 4-6 and it goes direction B but none of them result in your getting destroyed or failing your mission you just have to do different things if you don't shoot down enough fighters. Kinda like a star tours but instead of scene A to scene B being random, what scene B you get is based on the actions of the crew which then lead to diferent scene Cs and so on.

This is inline with my expectations also. There is a floor to each "job". Let's face it, you can't be an interactive character in the land if your pilot killed you in a crash on your first ride of the day. I'm also guessing you get helped in your job. So if one position is pilot, and one is gunner, the computer may give you a rough landing if the pilot is a 3 year old going crazy, but not a complete crash. If the gunner is a 90 year old with cataracts, just the act of firing the gun will get your group some points and a destroyed tie, but perhaps not the super job someone else will get.

Disney isn't going to let one person ruin the experience for 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter