Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or they could go the other way around. Sky high price to start until they somewhat saturate that market and then lower prices. They’re not locked into anything. They can change the entire model from cruise-like to not. There’s a ton of flexibility. The price at opening doesn’t define sustainability over the long haul.

Disney's model is much more find a starting price that will work and raise it than start high and lower it. (Though they did this a bit for the new late night thing at MK.)

Admittedly it's a silly thing to argue about, they'll set the price at what they model can give them the most profit.

I feel for the folks who heard there would be a new Star Wars hotel and are now planning to spend their week-long vacation there in 2020 (or whenever it opens). They are going to be pretty upset when they find out it isn't anything like a traditional Disney World resort. Sigh.

If they read anything about it at all, they wouldn’t be surprised. Then again, I know people who went to WDW and skipped AK because “we’ve been to a zoo before”... ... ;)

This will sound callous but I don't feel bad for anybody who can't do the appropriate research ahead of a trip. Would anybody feel bad for me if I tried to go to Washington DC, Las Vegas, or Europe, without properly researching it? :)

This will sound callous but I don't feel bad for anybody who can't do the appropriate research ahead of a trip. Would anybody feel bad for me if I tried to go to Washington DC, Las Vegas, or Europe, without properly researching it? :)
THIS! I feel this all the time when I hear people complain. It's not a day at Kennywood or Six Flags. It's an area the size of San Francisco. You don't turn up without some bare basic knowledge of how things work/

I either expect this - or that the hotel is so close the "spaceship" that is the hotel discharges directly into the land.

I just don't think there is a way to compare this to a bungalow. A bungalow you are (over)paying for the luxury accommodations and the view of the park and that's it. Here you are probably getting a not-all-that-special sized room for your accommodation. I've joked before that they could theme a resort to the Death Star detention center and have a metal bench and a probe droid in your room and Star Wars fans would say "SIGN ME UP!". But as I said, it's not paying for the room, it's the whole experience included.

Here's what I picture you will be paying for. Again this is about 95% speculation on my part.
Day 1: Arrive at the Spaceport to board your ship(hotel) - checkin probably at 3 or 4 PM. Overnight on-board ship to travel to Bakku (or whatever it's called). Will be some sort of dining experience with SW characters at hotel included and maybe some sort of evening entertainment as well.
Day 2: Debark into Galaxy's Edge. Events will take place within the land and also back on the "Ship". There will need to be handy transport between the two. I don't picture it being a shuttle as much as that the large ship lands on the planet and some sort of moving walkway between the two lands. What will be interesting is that the intent is clearly to keep you occupied for the whole day within Galaxy's Edge and the hotel. At some point - probably later in the evening, there will be some exclusive event inside GE that involves dining and a show of some sort. let's assume park continues to close at 9 PM so probably a 9 PM to 11 PM sort of exclusive event. Return to ship/hotel for "blast-off".
Day 3: Get up in the morning with another final meal/experience, and then spaceship "lands" and you are back in reality/off the ship by 10 AM.

Note in this scenario (which I have no inside information on) it's a "two day experience" but also really only one day of the experience is in Galaxy's Edge. By doing something of this sort - you can take the hotel and split it in two, and have half the guests start there experience one day, and the other half the second day. So say you have a 100 room hotel - only 50 rooms worth of guests (150-200 guests?) arrive on Day 1 above. Day 2 is the start of another cycle, so while the Day 1 arrivals are in galaxy's edge, the Day 2 arrivals are having the on-boarding experience.

So anyways - saying a bungalow costs $1000 per person doesn't mean much here - the room isn't really what you are paying for, and that's why it's likely to be something that will only drop slightly in price per person in the room. (Maybe it's $1000 for the first two people, and $950 for the second two in the room.)
I'd be surprised if the special experience was nothing more than a few special character meals and special events in GE. This is being marketed as an all inclusive experience where you feel like you are living/working on a starship. A bunch of character meals is the complete opposite of that.

I'd be surprised if the special experience was nothing more than a few special character meals and special events in GE. This is being marketed as an all inclusive experience where you feel like you are living/working on a starship. A bunch of character meals is the complete opposite of that.
I’ll be interested to see how they thread this needle. I suspect you’ll have a range from cosplayers to more casual SW fans who would never dress up. Those who want to take on a persona for two days and those who are more like spectators. What does an offering look like that pleases both?

I don’t see it as being viable if their only market is cosplayers with a ton of disposable income who want to take on a SW identify for multiple days.

It’ll be interesting to watch this unfold! :)

If they read anything about it at all, they wouldn’t be surprised. Then again, I know people who went to WDW and skipped AK because “we’ve been to a zoo before”... ... ;)

Agree most people don't read up on this stuff even if interested in it and spending a stupid amount on it.

However for your second comment...Before Pandora & ROL I wouldn't have blamed them for passing on AK. AK really only had Everest and Lion King show as a good/different attractions. The Safari IMO is way overrated, dinosaur was broken half the time my family was in the park and my kids (4, 4 & 6) didn't care for the Nemo show. Everything else could have been experienced at our zoo or Six Flags.

If it weren't for Avatar Land we would have skipped AK for our 2020 trip.

I love Star Wars, got my first millennium falcon in 1981 for Xmas, watched the movie 1000 times. As a kid I would have loved this! Not so much now. I have zero desire to be in something this fully immersive, although for those who like that kind of thing it sounds great. The hotel looks cool but I’m not wearing a costume or pretending that cast members are from another galaxy, lol.

Ya know, I've been thinking along the same line as you...and I am a Star Wars nerd! Also, although ya see Star Wars propaganda displayed everywhere from back packs to note books, I haven't seen the same level of enthusiasm from the younger crowd that those of us who were hooked on the original movies had.

Well, i didnt include all the details, but I thought I was implying it. They are likely to have some things that are communal experiences, or things you will interact with that are others stories. This is going to be very hard to pull off to truly make it unique to evryone.

Ya know, I've been thinking along the same line as you...and I am a Star Wars nerd! Also, although ya see Star Wars propaganda displayed everywhere from back packs to note books, I haven't seen the same level of enthusiasm from the younger crowd that those of us who were hooked on the original movies had.

If that's true why do parents have to run each morning to sign there kids up for jedi academy? Our friends brought there kids in february and their daughter was dressed as rey the whole day.

But is that a Star Wars thing or a society that has no time for anything that wasn't put out 5 minutes ago thing? The closest thing I see to the obsession of SW is Fortnite right now...but wait, that'll end too.

My kids are pretty into Star Wars - especially the Lego sets - and my daughter really likes Rey. Some of their friends are even more into it ... so I think it is pretty popular. I think like everything in society now there are more options and so interests are more split so probably isn't the phenomenon like the original trilogy were but I think it is pretty popular.

But is that a Star Wars thing or a society that has no time for anything that wasn't put out 5 minutes ago thing? The closest thing I see to the obsession of SW is Fortnite right now...but wait, that'll end too.

guess I am getting old as I have never heard of Fortnite :confused3 - so guess hard for me to understand how it would be similar to a Star Wars obsession

guess I am getting old as I have never heard of Fortnite :confused3 - so guess hard for me to understand how it would be similar to a Star Wars obsession
It’s a big thing among tween/teen boys, it seems. Per my 13yo son, anyway. Strikes me as a fad — not SW-like.

I am vaguely aware of the term - but my 14 year old DD is not involved in it, so overall not really a clue.

I’ll be interested to see how they thread this needle. I suspect you’ll have a range from cosplayers to more casual SW fans who would never dress up. Those who want to take on a persona for two days and those who are more like spectators. What does an offering look like that pleases both?

I don’t see it as being viable if their only market is cosplayers with a ton of disposable income who want to take on a SW identify for multiple days.

Plus all the families whose kids can't sustain the immersion idea for a full day.

My 7-year old and his friends can't get enough Star Wars. The movies, the cartoons, the video games, the Legos, the t-shirts... I don't let him play Fortnite though!

I really think this is something that will evolve over time as they see how guests react to it.

I recall from the announcement / initial communication that the hotel would accommodate all level/types of guests - so you will be able to immerse yourself as much or as little as you want. So you can take on a full persona and go nuts with it or be more of a spectator.

They indicated there would be "classes" you could attend (lightsaber training, etc.) and you can pick and choose what you want to do - or do nothing and just relax. Another way it reminded me of Disney Cruise Line in that there is a ton going on or you can just relax on the pool deck

Obviously it is easy to say that and hard to execute well, but I think they know they need to appeal to different levels - heck, in the same family you might have some people really into it and others just going along with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts