Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
On that we can agree - $1000 per person is not insane. The question is if it is a sustainable price model. This isn't something they can have a bunch of rich star wars nerds sign up for the first year and then cancel it. They have to price it so it is always occupied year after year. That's why I think initially the price may not be more more than $800-1000 per person, just so they can be sure they are always selling it out. They'll jack the prices up from there. I could be wrong, maybe they'll open at $2000 a person...but then there's a good chance they won't be opening with me!

In order to keep it filled year after year there needs to be some repeatability. It can't be just "did it.. next". That will be the challenge. How do you get somebody to come back every year or every other year? and if it is only going to be a 3 night package and not a hotel you can do a week or two weeks at (as it appears) you are going to need more people coming then other resorts since you by design have a higher turnover rate.

In order to keep it filled year after year there needs to be some repeatability. It can't be just "did it.. next". That will be the challenge. How do you get somebody to come back every year or every other year? and if it is only going to be a 3 night package and not a hotel you can do a week or two weeks at (as it appears) you are going to need more people coming then other resorts since you by design have a higher turnover rate.

I think it will be a smaller hotel as far as # of rooms so won't be as hard to keep filled - I do agree they will need to update things and perhaps have several different storylines and activities and stuff for people to do ... again, to keep with the Cruiseline metaphor, there are different itineraries people can do but also multiple activity options per day so people can pick different things to do

I suspect they will have only one (or at least just a few) options to start with and then overtime add different things - maybe different lengths of stays, etc. Perhaps in the future they would also add things like that you could just come in for a meal (maybe the lunch in the middle of the day between stays for other groups) or something like that to add other options

I think it will be a smaller hotel as far as # of rooms so won't be as hard to keep filled - I do agree they will need to update things and perhaps have several different storylines and activities and stuff for people to do ... again, to keep with the Cruiseline metaphor, there are different itineraries people can do but also multiple activity options per day so people can pick different things to do

I suspect they will have only one (or at least just a few) options to start with and then overtime add different things - maybe different lengths of stays, etc. Perhaps in the future they would also add things like that you could just come in for a meal (maybe the lunch in the middle of the day between stays for other groups) or something like that to add other options

There's also no reason to think there will be a variable pricing structure designed to keep it full at all times. Higher prices on holidays, summer and weekends. Mid-week will likely be less. (Good chance it will be less popular to move hotels in the middle of a vacation.) I could also see different lengths of the experience, but I doubt that will occur at first. I think as you say they'll keep it a pretty standard experience, with maybe 2-3 options that you can choose from. (You can choose the "Jedi", "Rebel", or "Smuggler" experience.) Events that occur will be tailored to what you choose. Some will be "random" events, and some will be at set times. You maybe will be able to choose the level of interaction as well...maybe a "observer" level where you just watch others go through the experience all the way to "full immersion".

The opportunities here are huge. (And it also makes me think what the hell Universal is waiting for because those same opportunities are available with a Hogwarts themed hotel.)

If that's true why do parents have to run each morning to sign there kids up for jedi academy? Our friends brought there kids in february and their daughter was dressed as rey the whole day.

Because the parents are Star Wars nerds like me???

Well...yeah, pretty much. Let's just say we've had to "plant seeds" of interest in them.
Yeah. I didn't have that problem. My 3 couldn't stop asking when they were going to Jedi Training. Probably the most talked about thing we did before and after the whole trip. But my kids love Star Wars. They watched all The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons and have seen 7 of the 8 mainline movies (not the most recent or Rogue One) The boys had a Star Wars party at 5 and my daughter reads everything she can on Ahsoka Tano. So it just depends.

It was not publicly hidden that J.K. Rowling proved very difficult to work with for Universal Studios.

It's not "difficult to work with" per se, but more that she is very exacting in what she requires - I think honestly a big reason the HP lands aren't as cheaped-out as the rest of the Universal lands. It's somewhat to the point of annoying even as a guest. (When we ordered Butterbeer Ice Cream they are not allowed to put any toppings on the ice cream. They say "legally" but really this is JK Rowling's doing.) I am sure that if they made a Hogwarts hotel it would also have to meet her exacting standings, but I don't really think that is the reason they don't do it.

The reason is doing something like this is a pretty big risk. We throw around $800, $1000 per person numbers, but how can Disney be sure they can convince enough people that it's worth let's call it $3,200 for a family of 4 for a 2 night vacation. This is I'm sorry a LOT of money - even guest staying at the Grand Floridian aren't paying $3,200 of two nights of their vacation. It's a big commitment on something that is target a very small portion of the population. If this doesn't prove profitable, Disney is up for a huge risk. It's unlikely they could shutter the hotel if it doesn't sell at the right profit point, so they would be forced to run it at a loss. More than likely, Universal is waiting to see whether Disney can succeed at this.

It's not "difficult to work with" per se, but more that she is very exacting in what she requires - I think honestly a big reason the HP lands aren't as cheaped-out as the rest of the Universal lands. It's somewhat to the point of annoying even as a guest. (When we ordered Butterbeer Ice Cream they are not allowed to put any toppings on the ice cream. They say "legally" but really this is JK Rowling's doing.) I am sure that if they made a Hogwarts hotel it would also have to meet her exacting standings, but I don't really think that is the reason they don't do it.

The reason is doing something like this is a pretty big risk. We throw around $800, $1000 per person numbers, but how can Disney be sure they can convince enough people that it's worth let's call it $3,200 for a family of 4 for a 2 night vacation. This is I'm sorry a LOT of money - even guest staying at the Grand Floridian aren't paying $3,200 of two nights of their vacation. It's a big commitment on something that is target a very small portion of the population. If this doesn't prove profitable, Disney is up for a huge risk. It's unlikely they could shutter the hotel if it doesn't sell at the right profit point, so they would be forced to run it at a loss. More than likely, Universal is waiting to see whether Disney can succeed at this.

I disagree with the bolded point. With the occupancy rates at Disney, if it doesn't work, you reno the hotel and you'll have a deluxe resort, with the best access of any resort to a park, sitting right there. No other resort will be as close to any park, and no other resort will be that convenient to DHS. If you like DHS and want a deluxe, this will be a prime spot. Sure they'll be on the hook for the reno costs, but they'll get it back and then some if the other deluxe hotels are anything to go by. To me, this is a low risk proposition. If the role playing concept doesn't work out, just turn it into a real deluxe boutique. Money will come and you can kick the extraneous costs of the extra CMs and whatever else you are incorporating to make this immersive.

Fairly certain that has something to do with difficulties with the author of the books.
I know JK is very demanding about what she wants from the parks (and she has the right to be, bc the parks are fantastic with her direction), but opening a Hogwarts hotel would be a huge undertaking and Universal already has a ton on the plate. The Star Wars hotel is a really ambitious concept and for Uni to match it on any level would take a lot of work.

Yeah. I didn't have that problem. My 3 couldn't stop asking when they were going to Jedi Training. Probably the most talked about thing we did before and after the whole trip. But my kids love Star Wars. They watched all The Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons and have seen 7 of the 8 mainline movies (not the most recent or Rogue One) The boys had a Star Wars party at 5 and my daughter reads everything she can on Ahsoka Tano. So it just depends.
My first grader and several of his friends are the same way.

I disagree with the bolded point. With the occupancy rates at Disney, if it doesn't work, you reno the hotel and you'll have a deluxe resort, with the best access of any resort to a park, sitting right there. No other resort will be as close to any park, and no other resort will be that convenient to DHS. If you like DHS and want a deluxe, this will be a prime spot. Sure they'll be on the hook for the reno costs, but they'll get it back and then some if the other deluxe hotels are anything to go by. To me, this is a low risk proposition. If the role playing concept doesn't work out, just turn it into a real deluxe boutique. Money will come and you can kick the extraneous costs of the extra CMs and whatever else you are incorporating to make this immersive.

Right-- all they would need to do is refurb it as a DVC and they could recoup all of the construction costs plus the renovation.....And it will already have built in amenities.. (restaurant, stage, transportation, etc)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter