Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else pick up a copy of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn?

I am about 30% of the way done and interesting read so far and looks like it will help set the state for the movie well - It picks up very shortly after the events of Episode VIII

I've heard good things about it. Syfy had a spoiler filled summary (that I did read), and it sounds pretty interesting for the folks who keep up with all the extended media outside of the films. If anyone is curious I included a link as a spoiler

I should wrap the Star Wars: Allegiance comic series this weekend as I have one more issue to go. If I can remember to, I'll post my impressions once I've read all the issues

I've heard good things about it. Syfy had a spoiler filled summary (that I did read), and it sounds pretty interesting for the folks who keep up with all the extended media outside of the films. If anyone is curious I included a link as a spoiler

I should wrap the Star Wars: Allegiance comic series this weekend as I have one more issue to go. If I can remember to, I'll post my impressions once I've read all the issues

I have heard good things, but I don't really keep up with novels. I do hope they cover anything important in the move, as I don't think they should end Ep VIII with just the handful on the Falcon and then open IX and they have a small fleet - "well, should've read the book, general audinece" - that's not going to work.

Read spoilers....I have a million theaters around me and I won't even buy a ticket until I read the spoilers. After the last junk I need to know its worth my time and money.
I wish I had the option. If I ferry off the island ($65rt plus taxi plus hotel and food) the tickets for the movie is only $3.

That's what the crawl is for. "The Resistance is reborn," or "The Resistance has begun gathering allies after the disaster at Crait."

That's my guess. From what I can tell, the Resistance Reborn and Allegiance stories take place pretty soon after Ep 8. Where it sounds like Ep 9 may start at least 1 year after TLJ. I think all you'll need to know going into Ep 9 is that a small 'ragtag'resistance has been rebuilt. If you're curious how this fleet was reformed, the books and comics will provide that story.

That's what the crawl is for. "The Resistance is reborn," or "The Resistance has begun gathering allies after the disaster at Crait."

True, they can handle it in the crawl - I still think they should show a little bit of it though, like Leia approaching the last group, which will work if the crawl establishes what they've been up to.

The Star Wars: Allegiance 4 part comic series finished today. Havent finished it, but thus far, it is just filling in the gaps by basically saying - The Resistance is recruiting other worlds to their cause and looking for old weapons caches to resupply. With the main characters leading these excursions and having conflicts because the First Order has big bounties on the main characters.

Kylo (and thus the First Order) just seem focused on chasing them down and finishing them in a vengeful manner.

So .. nothing that feels that anyone needs to know going in. Just a nice gap filler for the hardcore fan.

What is odd about this whole sequel trilogy is just feels backwards. Episode VII gave us a fully operational First Order and a pretty large and powerful Resistance with ZERO background on how each of them came to be from the ashes of the Empire. In the end the First Orders big and powerful weapon was destroyed.

And now between VIII and IX.. the First Order is trying assert its dominance and the Resistance is trying to spread and grow to defeat them. Shouldn't the sequel trilogy have started with that? Showing a rag-tag group fending off this growing threat and building up their resources and building to the powerful conclusion?
Thats the problem with basically making VII a reboot of episode IV in my opinion. VII was a fun stand alone movie, but has NEVER felt like the knew where they were going to go with this besides having more x-wings, more stormtroopers and another death star. It has felt they are just winging it because they need and are expected to make an episode VIII and IX. I guess that is what you get from corporate creativity.

I enjoyed Allegiance, but I'm very new to comic books (but I was at the comic book store every Wednesday to pick up the new issue that week).

The Star Wars: Allegiance 4 part comic series finished today. Havent finished it, but thus far, it is just filling in the gaps by basically saying - The Resistance is recruiting other worlds to their cause and looking for old weapons caches to resupply. With the main characters leading these excursions and having conflicts because the First Order has big bounties on the main characters.

Kylo (and thus the First Order) just seem focused on chasing them down and finishing them in a vengeful manner.

So .. nothing that feels that anyone needs to know going in. Just a nice gap filler for the hardcore fan.

What is odd about this whole sequel trilogy is just feels backwards. Episode VII gave us a fully operational First Order and a pretty large and powerful Resistance with ZERO background on how each of them came to be from the ashes of the Empire. In the end the First Orders big and powerful weapon was destroyed.

And now between VIII and IX.. the First Order is trying assert its dominance and the Resistance is trying to spread and grow to defeat them. Shouldn't the sequel trilogy have started with that? Showing a rag-tag group fending off this growing threat and building up their resources and building to the powerful conclusion?
Thats the problem with basically making VII a reboot of episode IV in my opinion. VII was a fun stand alone movie, but has NEVER felt like the knew where they were going to go with this besides having more x-wings, more stormtroopers and another death star. It has felt they are just winging it because they need and are expected to make an episode VIII and IX. I guess that is what you get from corporate creativity.

I think that's all a matter of opinion. The First Order and Resistance already being established in TFA has never bothered me.

I hear what you're saying, but keep in mind that despite the super-weapon being destroyed, The First Order came away with a HUGE win by destroying the New Republic senate. Honestly, the destruction of Starkiller Base was too little too late, and a threat that nobody took seriously is now in a position to dominate.

I think that's all a matter of opinion. The First Order and Resistance already being established in TFA has never bothered me.
True.. and that is my opinion for sure. Episode VII and all the mystery how they got there .... did lead to some good books on how the First Order and Resistance came to be .. I realize everything cant be explained via movies, it is not like we knew how the Empire rose to power until the Prequels.

True.. and that is my opinion for sure. Episode VII and all the mystery how they got there .... did lead to some good books on how the First Order and Resistance came to be .. I realize everything cant be explained via movies, it is not like we knew how the Empire rose to power until the Prequels.

Time to do those "in-between" stories, like Shadows of the Empire was - I STILL want that one made into a movie!

anyone else pick up a copy of Star Wars: Resistance Reborn?

I am about 30% of the way done and interesting read so far and looks like it will help set the state for the movie well - It picks up very shortly after the events of Episode VIII
Eek...I didn't realize it was available! I just downloaded the audio book......

I wonder if palpatine survived if he did it through some sort of force ghost type deal, or maybe ties into what he learned from darth plageis about being able to achieve immortality. Him being in the film is sorta out of right field, but if you think about it he’s been involved in the arc of the original six, I guess maybe he could’ve orchestrated the events of these three as well.

I’m very excited for the new film. TLJ isn’t my favorite but I appreciated the risks they took. I just rewatched it today, and still enjoy it. I’m looking forward also to all the new stuff that Disney is producing Star Wars wise, mandolorian and the kenobi series and such

I wonder if palpatine survived if he did it through some sort of force ghost type deal, or maybe ties into what he learned from darth plageis about being able to achieve immortality. Him being in the film is sorta out of right field, but if you think about it he’s been involved in the arc of the original six, I guess maybe he could’ve orchestrated the events of these three as well.

Strong possibility of transferring his spirit to clone bodies or other hosts. I know the old EU stuff isn't canon anymore, but it's been explored there before and there's only so many ways this can go. I'm guessing we'll see elements of Empire's End.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Empire
And that all was written even before the Prequel trilogy fleshed out that Palpatine was involved in the initial development of cloning, and, in tandem with the Darth Plagueis story, hinted at his involvement in Anakin's birth.

I'm not expecting terribly original ideas with this plot thread. I just hope the execution is good.

Niether was the Last Jedi and looking back, boy do I wish I read those spoilers before I wasted 3 hours of my life and ruined a part of my childhood.

Then don't see TROS.

Just don't. If you use "ruined my childhood" in any non-joking way, I just can't even with you.

I’m very excited for the new film. TLJ isn’t my favorite but I appreciated the risks they took. I just rewatched it today, and still enjoy it. I’m looking forward also to all the new stuff that Disney is producing Star Wars wise, mandolorian and the kenobi series and such

A friend of mine filled me in that there was some clone stuff going on with Palpatine in the video game story line, so it'll be interesting to see how they implement this twist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!