Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Palpatine should be dead and gone. Kylo can eliminate Han, but Vader couldn't send Palpatine to the dustbin of history. Okay...….

Are you ok with Darth Maul not being dead after TPM?

Serious question.

Niether was the Last Jedi and looking back, boy do I wish I read those spoilers before I wasted 3 hours of my life and ruined a part of my childhood.
Ok boomer

;)

In all seriousness though, if your "childhood" is that precious and fragile that a sequel 30 years after the original will ruin it, maybe stay away from it. You shouldn't need to read spoilers to figure that out.

Serious question.
Not really bothered by it because it hasn't occurred in the main 9 movies. I am probably just weird, but I am cool with all kinds of stuff that shouldn't make sense happening outside the main story. I am able to separate them from each other and enjoy them all. I look at the outside stuff as telling a different story.

Even weirder is that as much as I disliked TLJ, I think I would probably like a RJ trilogy set outside the Skywalker saga. I think certain stuff he was trying to do with TLJ would have worked in the greater Star Wars universe, but it just didn't work inside the story this trilogy is in.

Last edited:
Not really because it hasn't occurred in the main 9 movies. I am probably just weird, but I am cool with all kinds of stuff that shouldn't make sense happening outside the main story. I am able to separate them from each other and enjoy them all. I look at the outside stuff as telling a different story.

Even weirder is that as much as I disliked TLJ, I think I would probably like a RJ trilogy set outside the Skywalker saga. I think certain stuff he was trying to do with TLJ would have worked in the greater Star Wars universe, but it just didn't work inside the story this trilogy is in.

Nah, I can understand that.

I'm indifferent on Maul and Palpatine's status, but I can understand it being irksome to others.

I don't dislike TLJ (in fact, some parts I really LOVE), but my personal opinion is that some tweaks here and there would have made it an amazing movie and probably more palatable to the masses.

My main one is that I feel like Luke should have been portrayed as distraught instead of grumpy. I think that would have made a world of difference for how the overall movie was perceived, even though it has some other, more minor flaws.

Not really because it hasn't occurred in the main 9 movies. I am probably just weird, but I am cool with all kinds of stuff that shouldn't make sense happening outside the main story. I am able to separate them from each other and enjoy them all. I look at the outside stuff as telling a different story.

There were some neat ideas explored in TLJ, but even in some of those he kind of broke some the little bit of logic the Star Wars universe maintains.

I kind of think he might be better building his own universes. Even then, he kind of broke some of the stuff he built himself. I think he got too bogged down trying to force it to be different.

I meant to type "not really bothered by it".

Is this movie completely done and ready to ship out? Or isn't that something that is usually disclosed. Just wondering.

Stupid internet gives so many weird rumors.

I finally got around to watching 7 & 8 over the weekend. Yes, I was behind. I wasn’t sold on Star Wars before watching 7 & 8, and I’m especially not sold now. I LOVED Poe & BB-8, and love that a female is the next Jedi...but the storyline really lacked for me. Could’ve been wayyyyy better. So seeing the trailer for 9, I’m still over here like “Meh”. :duck:

Is this movie completely done and ready to ship out? Or isn't that something that is usually disclosed. Just wondering.

Stupid internet gives so many weird rumors.

It is probably just about 100% completely finished at this point, but with movies like this they could be polishing things up until a couple of weeks before the premiere. It wouldn't be anything major though.

Serious question.
Different poster, but I don't like Palpatine or Darth Maul coming back. It basically says the entire end of ROTJ meant nothing.

I feel the same way about VII. You are to basically assume the emperor fully collapsed after ROTJ, then just 30 years later, the galaxy has once again been taken over by an extremely similar emperor. Makes me kind of not care about the peace of the galaxy if no one living in it actually cares enough to protect the peace. I personally wish the started much closer to the end of ROTJ.

Just remember when people scream about how the sky is falling because of reshoots: Endgame's final reshoots included the line "And I am Iron Man," filmed in JANUARY for an April release.

To me reshoots are good, means they care IMO.

Then again, 3 months out (like Iron Man) is one thing, one month out is concerning.

But it sounds like it's been done for a while per BrianL, so that's good.

I mostly was just wondering if that's something typically released/tracked.

Then again, 3 months out (like Iron Man) is one thing, one month out is concerning.

Who's claiming reshoots one month out though (as in right now)? Google says there were some in July (sounds pretty normal) and maybe some at the end of September.

Timing makes sense as stuff comes up in the editing process. Marcia Lucas famously saved the finale of this little 1977 film called "Star Wars" in the editing room using off-screen dialogue and repurposed canned footage, if not full "reshoots."
http://www.justinkownacki.com/good-film-editing-save-movie/
Think of how much lower the stakes would have been without the Death Star being about to imminently fire on the Rebel base on Yavin IV!

Who's claiming reshoots one month out though (as in right now)? Google says there were some in July (sounds pretty normal) and maybe some at the end of September.

Timing makes sense as stuff comes up in the editing process. Marcia Lucas famously saved the finale of this little 1977 film called "Star Wars" in the editing room using off-screen dialogue and repurposed canned footage, if not full "reshoots."
http://www.justinkownacki.com/good-film-editing-save-movie/
Think of how much lower the stakes would have been without the Death Star being about to imminently fire on the Rebel base on Yavin IV!

I have also heard Rogue One Vader scene was added (not sure when though). Without that I would drop R1 quite a bit on my scale.

There's plenty, although "editing" is likely closer to what they meant.

But again, was mostly wondering when the movie/s are complete if that is something even shared or not.

I'm assuming these days are mostly digital releases? So you could edit much later than in the past.

I have also heard Rogue One Vader scene was added (not sure when though). Without that I would drop R1 quite a bit on my scale.

There's plenty, although "editing" is likely closer to what they meant.

But again, was mostly wondering when the movie/s are complete if that is something even shared or not.

I'm assuming these days are mostly digital releases? So you could edit much later than in the past.

It is not usually shared exactly when the final edit is complete, unless the director tweets about it or something. It is true that they have more time than they used to using digital distribution.

Different poster, but I don't like Palpatine or Darth Maul coming back. It basically says the entire end of ROTJ meant nothing.

I feel the same way about VII. You are to basically assume the emperor fully collapsed after ROTJ, then just 30 years later, the galaxy has once again been taken over by an extremely similar emperor. Makes me kind of not care about the peace of the galaxy if no one living in it actually cares enough to protect the peace. I personally wish the started much closer to the end of ROTJ.

I can understand that point of view, honestly.

Unfortunately, this part of the plot for the ST is entirely realistic. (The bad guys always building back up, so to speak).

It is not usually shared exactly when the final edit is complete, unless the director tweets about it or something. It is true that they have more time than they used to using digital distribution.

OK that makes sense. For some reason I remember Ron Howard saying Solo was done, not sure when etc. But even then, more editing could follow I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!