Starbucks - cream and sugar?

Chumpieboy

Mouseketeer
Gotta ask a weird question.

Is it a regional thing to get a coffee with "cream and sugar"? You know how like there are regional ways to refer to a hoagie/sub/grinder or pop/soda? Is "cream and sugar" in coffee such a thing?

At each and every SB we went to last week, both at US and WDW, I ordered an iced coffee with cream and sugar and each and every time there was a confused look on the face of the barista/cashier.

Cream - "Do you want, like, milk in there?" "We have heavy cream. Is that what you mean?" Do some areas of the country routinely put in full cream in coffee as opposed to half-and-half?

I'm aware that table sugar crystals don't dissolve in cold coffee. Locally, when I ask for an iced coffee with C&S they put in simple syrup from behind the counter. That seemed like the most bizarre request when we made it.

It wasn't just one cashier. It was a similar confusion at the SBs in all 4 WDW parks and the 3 at Universal.

Anyone else experience this? What am I doing wrong when ordering?

At Starbucks, cold drinks get simple sugar, or "classic sweetener." Starbucks doesn't like to use sugar in cold drinks because it doesn't dissolve well.

But where in the US did you go and get funny looks? Here in the Philly area, cream and sugar are really common, like @PollyannaMom and her Dunkin Donuts, which we have here, as well. :D

Gotta ask a weird question.

Is it a regional thing to get a coffee with "cream and sugar"? You know how like there are regional ways to refer to a hoagie/sub/grinder or pop/soda? Is "cream and sugar" in coffee such a thing?

At each and every SB we went to last week, both at US and WDW, I ordered an iced coffee with cream and sugar and each and every time there was a confused look on the face of the barista/cashier.

Cream - "Do you want, like, milk in there?" "We have heavy cream. Is that what you mean?" Do some areas of the country routinely put in full cream in coffee as opposed to half-and-half?

I'm aware that table sugar crystals don't dissolve in cold coffee. Locally, when I ask for an iced coffee with C&S they put in simple syrup from behind the counter. That seemed like the most bizarre request when we made it.

It wasn't just one cashier. It was a similar confusion at the SBs in all 4 WDW parks and the 3 at Universal.

Anyone else experience this? What am I doing wrong when ordering?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong -- I think it's how Starbucks works, where they expect people will add cream/sugar at the little counter with napkins, straws, etc. after getting their order.

As you said, those sugar packets won't dissolve easily in an iced coffee, so they should be adding the simple syrup when you ask for cream & sugar. Bizarre that they didn't understand that. Maybe they're... confused on how much to add? They might still direct you to the counter to add the half-n-half yourself, but still. Simple syrup is...a simple concept.

Locally, when I ask for an iced coffee with C&S they put in simple syrup from behind the counter.

Are you asking for this at a Starbucks at home?

Do some areas of the country routinely put in full cream in coffee as opposed to half-and-half?

They are trying to figure out what you want.

Between the two bits I've quoted in seeing that you want one thing but you're asking for another thing.

Ask for simply syrup, or really their sweetener, and specific how many pumps.

And ask for "room for cream" so you can put half and half in it. Because I don't think they have half and half behind the counter. They have different milks and they have heavy cream (they fill the whipped cream aerators with that) but the half and half is outside the counter. And how would they know how much you want?

With sbux they don't guess. They want to make exactky what you want. So you have to tell them exactly, and not say "sugar" when you mean "simple syrup", or "cream" when you mean "half milk half cream".

Between the two bits I've quoted in seeing that you want one thing but you're asking for another thing.

And ask for "room for cream" so you can put half and half in it. Because I don't think they have half and half behind the counter. They have different milks and they have heavy cream (they fill the whipped cream aerators with that) but the half and half is outside the counter. And how would they know how much you want?

With sbux they don't guess. They want to make exactky what you want. So you have to tell them exactly, and not say "sugar" when you mean "simple syrup", or "cream" when you mean "half milk half cream".

Thanks. I get all that. I guess I'm confused since I don't have to clarify when ordering iced coffees from starbucks locally (Philadelphia area) or from other coffee shops. Even smaller chains and mom & pop coffee shops just put the stuff in the iced coffee.

Thanks. I get all that. I guess I'm confused since I don't have to clarify when ordering iced coffees from starbucks locally (Philadelphia area) or from other coffee shops. Even smaller chains and mom & pop coffee shops just put the stuff in the iced coffee.

People at Disney are from all over. If someone from Seattle were to go in and rattle off a 10 part very specific drink it would throw an Orlando cm, too.

When I order an iced *coffee* at a local place to me (I don't at sbux because I only like their espresso roast) I actuakly don't have anything in it because it ruins the flavor. So if I ordered that from a local place to you that might throw them off their game.

I'm sensitive to lactose (full fat milk, half and half, full cream, or heavy whipping cream really messes me up), so I always ask for skim milk in my coffee because some of the Starbucks here in SC don't keep skim milk out where I can add it myself. At all of my local Starbucks if I pause after I order my coffee, hot or iced, they ask "any sweetener or do you want room for cream?" That's when I tell them skim milk and classic syrup.

I think because cream and sugar are kind of broad terms used to describe a variety of creamers and sweeteners maybe they aren't sure what you mean specifically. I'd be hurting for hours if they put half and half in my coffee, so I'm fine with having to be specific

It's very regional, and Dunkin Donuts isn't the same terminology as Starbucks. At DD I ask for cream and sugar and it's generally perfect. In Starbucks I ask for "2 pumps of liquid sweetener and leave room" then I add my own half and half at the sugar and milk bar.

They do have half and half behind the counter. I tend to do mobile orders or the drive thru, and you can specificy exactly what you want in your beverage. For my standard order, I will get an iced coffee with half and half (breve). You do have to specify your sweetener though. You can ask for classic (simple syrup) or dry, packaged sweeteners (sweet-n-low, equal, stevia, etc), but be sure to specify the amount.

They probably get so many orders for "vanilla creme frappuccino" that they don't realize "cream and sugar" is just a simple way to order a coffee. :D I think it's pretty standard terminology, but I could be wrong. In my area they point you toward the half & half if you want to add it yourself, though they will do it for you if you prefer. I have heard them ask for more specifics about "sugar" because they have so many different sweeteners available.

I asked a long time sbux employee friend tonight about this. She said an "iced coffee with milk" comes with 2% milk and their classic syrup.

She would ask questions about your order because she would wonder if you actually wanted sugar or maybe another sweetener.

Since you don't want 2%, she recommends asking for the iced coffee sweetened and with room for cream. Then you doctor it with the half and half.

When I order iced coffee from Starbucks I've learned to say "sweetened with cream", because I've also gotten the confused "We can't add sugar to iced coffee" response. I learned that in Atlanta but now I say it wherever I go so I can't speak for the SB in the parks. If you say milk I think you might end up with anything haha, so I always specify cream. Now that I think about it, that's probably why when my husband gets the coffee, it tastes weird. He probably says milk & we end up with 2%.

Although I grew up in an area where 'cream and sugar' was a common request in coffee, I also worked at a Starbucks for a short period of time, and I would have had to question what exactly you wanted. Most people who ordered from us would specify the type of syrup (classic or flavored, sugar free or not, although if you just say sweetened they add classic) and how many pumps, and either ask for room (most common) or specify the type of milk or cream that they want (the default when I worked there was 2% but that could have changed).

Thanks all! Certainly being specific with the order helps no matter where you're shopping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter