Status of straws and lids?

HikingFam

Mouseketeer
I have read several places that straws and lids are being (or have already been?) discontinued at the parks. Does anyone know the current status? My daughter with special needs is not able to drink from an open cup, and I would really prefer not to carry sippy cups around for her (not to mention my toddler son). I can easily bring my own straws, but no lids seems crazy. We will be there next week.

I saw an episode of the Tim Tracker recently (a YouTuber who films going to the parks) and in the episode they showed his wife's soda she had bought at the park at pointed out that it had no straw or lid because they had discontinued them for the average guest. That being said, I believe you can still request them especially for disabilities. Good luck!

I was at HS a week ago, got a drink at a quick service and there were no lids, I did go to the counter and ask for a lid (I use a wheelchair and there was no way I was going to be able to hold the cup without a lid and wheel myself around without making a mess). When I asked for a lid at the counter the girl said she had to go to the back to get one (which she did without issue), so I think they aren’t giving them out anymore unless you request them but they had no problem giving me a lid when I asked for it. I’m not sure if that will continue or if they eventually will not have lids at all no matter what, just sharing my recent experience.

The lid thing really annoys me. Everyone is really trying to get around the straw issue but the lid thing is something you really can't modify with replacements because of all the different sized cups. I like a lid because I'm 1) a klutz and 2) don't like bugs and other things falling into my cup.

Just came back from a week at WDW a few days ago, and I took note of this. Some places still had plastic straws and lids, some had them by request only. The only TS restaurant that I remember them not automatically having them was at the Plaza, but I noted that the family at the next table had young children and they were brought cups with plastic lids and straws.

We were there the first week of September, and it was hit-or-miss, however we were able to get both straws and lids upon request every time.

However, we also tend to take our Resort mugs with us to the Parks; they are insulated and I have a cup holder on my personal mobility device, so it's easy. Like @book_junkie, we just dumped our fountain drinks into those; they have a lid, and we brought our own reusable straws from home.

I like having the Resort mugs with us when we get back at the end of the day; I can grab a fresh drink as we roll through on the way to the room, and if we decide to stop off at the QS for a snack, we have them with us. Been doing that since well before the whole "lid/straw" issue :)

I think you will need to bring your own cup with lid. The restaurant might have lids on request but it will be a hassle if the lid they bring out does not fit and they have to go back and try again. You don't want to rely on force fitting the wrong size because someting could crack and then the ddrink leaks all over the place again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts