Status of the Food and Wine Festival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

upbeatred

Mouseketeer
Have we heard for sure it is cancelled? It has been alluded to on several threads.
Thanks for any information.

No there's nothing official... but there is basically no reason to assume it will happen. The employees who plan it aren't at work, the college program CMs who staff it have been told "sorry no college program this fall", etc....

Even though there has been no official word, I'm mentally preparing myself for it not happening. It's hard, May trip for F&G cancelled, now Oct F&W trip may be without F&W! At least I got to go to the Festival of the Arts in Feb. Got an AP for multiple trips this year, not planning to renew as we will have other things on our plate next year with buying a new house, selling our current one (needs work!) and moving.

Its one of our favorite things to go to.
But I agree, its unlikely to happen.
And if it does, the concert series would be cancelled as they the parades, etc due to crowds.
I can't imagine the food and wine pairing meals happening, unless you only put 1 family per table and limit the number that can attend.

I don't see why it couldn't happen.
I don't see how they would have the staff to run it. It used a huge number of college students and foreign students. Both programs were cancelled this summer and haven't set a new starting date.
They might have fewer kiosks, but I don't see all the extra activites that make it special.

I think the whole year is a wash. They will cancel holiday parties next, then FW, then close POR, FQ and any non convention, non DVC, non Deluxe, non Skyliner resorts. Then we will all be talking about next year like the doll in Rudolph then Red-nosed Reindeer.

Supposedly, one of the bands that was supposed to perform (was it Mickey Dolenz?) just posted on their website that the Eat to the Beat had cancelled. That suggests the future of a 2020 F&W Festival doesn't look promising.

Since all large gatherings are still off the table, how could they have the shows?

nothing is normal and may never return to normal

past pandemics lasted YEARS or even decades (it is fascinating to read some of the past pandemics history)

we will have a new normal, but standing shoulder to shoulder w 10s of thousands of people is not happening any time soon. Masks may be w us for months, years or more. We just don’t know. And it’s so far out of our wheelhouse it’s hard to accept.

hang in there folks. We will get through this and someday be back to hugging Mickey Mouse

We have a trip to Universal planned for November and had planned to take one day to go to EPCOT. If F&W is canceled we will not be doing a day trip to EPCOT. This is the first time we have a trip to Florida planned that doesn't include Disney but we had been planning a very large family trip to Disney in 2021 so decided to do a Universal trip with a day fix of Disney. Watching everything carefully to see if the 2021 trip even happens now.

Supposedly, one of the bands that was supposed to perform (was it Mickey Dolenz?) just posted on their website that the Eat to the Beat had cancelled. That suggests the future of a 2020 F&W Festival doesn't look promising.

I saw a post with a screen shot by Jefferson Starship that their Eat to the Beat was cancelled. I also noticed Sugar Ray does not have it on their list of performances, they are always there.

Eat to the Beat being cancelled was a given, since no shows or other things where people sit/stand en masse for a prolonged period are running (e.g. no parades, no fireworks, no Fantasmic, etc.). I assume that special events, especially ones where people are making their own food/drinks, will likewise be scrapped for this year. However the kiosks may be a different story. They're no more contact than a regular quick-service or a snack cart, and they're outdoors. I could see though where they might cancel because so many people pop over for the evening which would really not work with their new reservation system.

Eat to the Beat being cancelled was a given, since no shows or other things where people sit/stand en masse for a prolonged period are running (e.g. no parades, no fireworks, no Fantasmic, etc.). I assume that special events, especially ones where people are making their own food/drinks, will likewise be scrapped for this year. However the kiosks may be a different story. They're no more contact than a regular quick-service or a snack cart, and they're outdoors. I could see though where they might cancel because so many people pop over for the evening which would really not work with their new reservation system.
I hope the kiosks are there... If they're not, and Disney waits to cancel food and wine, what reason does anyone have to go for the entire expanse of September through November? Most of the trips that were booked during this time were booked specifically for food and wine.

I hope the kiosks are there... If they're not, and Disney waits to cancel food and wine, what reason does anyone have to go for the entire expanse of September through November? Most of the trips that were booked during this time were booked specifically for food and wine.
Thats one of the reasons we love going in October is F&W. The weather tends to be good. And MNSSHP was fun until it got sooooo crowded.

My thought for why the kiosks won't be there is that even with less people in the park, it will be impossible to social distance every kiosk line without overrunning the actual walkways. Along with the already established points that they cannot bring in the international students and CPs to run them. I just don't see it happening, but maybe they will find a way. :confused3

My thought for why the kiosks won't be there is that even with less people in the park, it will be impossible to social distance every kiosk line without overrunning the actual walkways. Along with the already established points that they cannot bring in the international students and CPs to run them. I just don't see it happening, but maybe they will find a way. :confused3
I'm watching the live stream for universal right now from resorttv1; they're not too worried about social distancing. They have lines on the ground, and are doing virtual queues, but there is nobody walking around interrupting park-goers to make sure that they are 6 feet apart. I would think that the lines could simply have markings on the ground.

I have mixed feelings about it. We love F&W and usually visit in Oct-Nov timeframe, but only because that time works best for us...not to attend F&W, specifically. If it's cancelled, I would be fine with the lower Epcot crowds.

I expect they will have some version of F&W.
However, our favorite part of F&W has been the noon Food and Wine lunch pairings and I don't expect to see them as an option.
I also don't expect to see the beverage seminars, Eat to the Beat Concerts happen either.
I expect F&W to look very different, but hope it is still there in some form.

They just canceled the Food and Wine Classic at Swan and Dolphin on Facebook Events:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!