Stayed at SSR and BCV - some thoughts.

Ducky4Disney

-->Place Tag HERE!
SSR is my home resort and the first DVC resort I stayed in. We bought in Oct of 2003 before it had even been built. Our first stay was Dec 2004 and we loved it! The calming atmosphere, sprawling grounds, and great location right across from DTD.

We had the chance to stay at BCV for part of this last trip and compare it to SSR. Overall, we like SSR better - by a longshot. But BCV did have its pros.

Pros of BCV.
Covered walkways from Villas to main building and to bus stop, that was nice.
Walking right into Epcot! Not to mention everything else being so close (the boardwalk, S&D, Fantasia Gardens...)
But that's about it.

SSR felt more private and quiet. It has a feeling of relaxation to it. I just like the themeing better too. If I want a beach feel, I'll go to the beach (it's not that far). For as much as I like walking to Epcot and seeing Illuminations from my balcony, I think walking to DTD is better. Walking down the hallways of BCV felt very hotel-ish, whereas the outside corridors of SSR makes it more homey.

Maybe I'm just biased my home resort, who knows, but I liked SSR better and can't wait to stay there in Oct!

D4D

I enjoy reading different people's takes on inside vs. outside corridors for villas. There's a great difference of opinion, which is healthy. But it's fascinating to watch how different people see and describe their reaction to both kinds of corridors.

I never thought about that, I'll have to pay more attention to how people feel about them.

I lived in a high rise apartment once, the 17th floor of a 22 story building. That felt more like living in a hotel too. Long sterile corridors that all looked the same.

D4D

I agree with Ducky 4 Disney I love Saratoga over Beachclub. I like Beachclub don't get me wrong but I love the feel also of Saratoga. We own 150 points at each. Purchased the 150 in May of 02 for Beachclub and then the day it opened up - can't remember I think maybe Sept 03 purchased 150 for Saratoga. I love the racetrack at Saratoga so maybe that is why I love Saratoga over the Beachclub. I also love the feel of the pool over Beachclub's. We will stay at both again but want to use our points elsewhere first to experience all the resorts.

Our stay at SSR was on the first floor, quick walk to the car and so we didn't experience the long corridors. We didn't have DTD view from the studio, but I thought the view from the quiet pool was breathtaking. We chose to stay there for that very short time, we've stayed at all of the WDW DVC, and I'd be happy to stay at any of them again. However, if it really was swimming weather, I don't think I could honestly say that I would pick SSR over BCV unless I just didn't have the extra points.

Bobbi :flower:

I like to hear when folks are pleased with their choice of home resort. Especially when it was purchase pre construction. Thanks for sharing.

Silly question, but after staying at OKW I have to ask...SSR does have elevators in each building? I didn't mind the trek to the 3rd floor unless it had been a long day and my asthma started to kick up...I have allergy induced asthma so it is managable. But the thought to ask just occurred...

Thanks!

SSR does have elevators in each building?

I'm just jumping in here to say yes. Each building has 2 elevators located next to each other -- good thing, I'm on the 4th floor now!!

HTH

These are my two favorite resorts, well, also OKW too. We love the quiet of SSR and the get-away-from-it-all feeling which is what many of those that don't like SSR don't like, being away from it all. SSR has a luxury feel to it. Pampered, quiet, refined.....Then I love BCV for being in the heart-of-the-action. We love walking to Epcot, we love SAB, we love the overall beach vacation we feel we get when we are there. OKW falls in the middle! We can be-away-from-it-all and have a beachy-type of vacation all in one! They are so different and that's what makes DVC so wonderful! What ever type of vacation you seek, you can find a resort to suit you!

Yes to the elevators - we were on the second floor in October 04. Our room overlooked down-town disney to the left-I don't remember the room number now as it feels like too too too long ago - want to go back tomorrow!!!!!!!!

That is the beauty of DVC ownership. I just returned from a weekend at VWL and didn't find it to my liking. The themeing reminded me of a few places up north here in Michigan and when I go on vacation, I don't want to be reminded of SNOW and cold weather.

I own at both SSR and BCVs and I find myself using BCVs for "park visits" while I use SSR for 'spa and resort' vacations.

pinnie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter