Stop taking away things and begin adding things, for example...

Sherrilatte

Bad to the Bone
So far, this will be our 2nd cruise with DCL next year and we barely got the onboard credit before it was taken away. Navigators left in rooms have been taken away, individual toiletries taken away, etc. I respectfully ask DCL to ADD some little extras beside the increased prices each quarter. Little things such as increased adult pool time. (an hour would be okay) Small tasting bags of free popcorn for select movie times (one matinee). Little touches of magic goes a long way when other magical services began to disappear.

So far, this will be our 2nd cruise with DCL next year and we barely got the onboard credit before it was taken away. Navigators left in rooms have been taken away, individual toiletries taken away, etc. I respectfully ask DCL to ADD some little extras beside the increased prices each quarter. Little things such as increased adult pool time. (an hour would be okay) Small tasting bags of free popcorn for select movie times (one matinee). Little touches of magic goes a long way when other magical services began to disappear.

It will catch up with them, eventually. The more they creep toward acting like every other cruise line out there, the harder it will be to justify their prices. The Disney brand is extremely strong, but at some point, their reach will exceed their grasp.

When we see a sustained uptick in last-minute “special offers”, or the return of Kids Sail Free, then we’ll know they are hitting a resistance point.

I think you’re right, though. The good will and the heightened feeling of “value” from those things you mentioned would more than compensate DCL for the relatively small cost involved to provide such amenities.

Just curious why the toiletries count as being taken away? They still provide shampoo, body wash and moisturizer so why does everyone want the little plastic bottles?
For me - they are just more convenient. Multi-use containers on the counter seem just too "gym-like" to me. Not a nice hotel. And I'm more confident that no one's messed with them.

For me - they are just more convenient. Multi-use containers on the counter seem just too "gym-like" to me. Not a nice hotel. And I'm more confident that no one's messed with them.

I didn’t think of anyone doing anything with them. I actually preferred the larger dispensers though. Everyone’s different!

I would like to see Disney adding more “magic”. I agree that it seems more gets taken away and then the prices go up. It’s hard to think of them going higher because I feel I’m getting to my limit of what I’ll pay!

I remember when they took away the chocolates on the pillows / beds at night. At most it cost DCL $30 per night for the ENTIRE Ship (Magic / Wonder). Granted they were not very good chocolates, but always welcomed. There was way more ill will / bad publicity over that change than the money saved. Eventually they came back with the "Sleepy" chocolates and then partnered (I assume) with Ghiradelli for some much better chocolates. Still doesn't cost DCL much, but the good will from that simple little item helps offset the cash-ectomy that DCL does to us whenever we book another cruise with them.

A few small items that differentiate DCL from the others goes a long ways (note: free soda)

The Fantasy just got the Frozen show and they added a Micky celebration over the summer.
The surprise party was definitely fun. However, the Frozen show replaced Wishes. It wasn't really an add on. I actually see it as taking away a show since it is a repeat of a show on the Wonder.

Just curious why the toiletries count as being taken away? They still provide shampoo, body wash and moisturizer so why does everyone want the little plastic bottles?

Yes I agree. I had 21cruises on dcl with the small bottles. I never touched them. Wife will use the lotion. On our 22nd cruise we had the big bottles we used them. We like them so much next time we won’t bring soap or shampoo.

Yes I agree. I had 21cruises on dcl with the small bottles. I never touched them. Wife will use the lotion. On our 22nd cruise we had the big bottles we used them. We like them so much next time we won’t bring soap or shampoo.
21 cruises of missed great shampoo/condition lotion. :laughing: They are really nice products.

I loved the little bottles, I could carry the lotion with me everywhere we went. Only bonus with the large bottles is now I get shower gel and don't need to bring my own.

And yes, DCL needs to stop taking. It is starting to back fire at the parks; and with 3 new ships coming on board they need to keep their base happy or they won't be able to fill the ships.

I think the big bottles/dispensers instead of individual tiny ones are a plus and not a take-away. I have a ton of long, thick hair. I would need 2 bottles of shampoo and 3 bottles of conditioner, which would leave nothing for DH even after asking for extras. That's a lot of unnecessary plastic waste too. So I am totally "on board" with this change. Also with the Navigators, just a waste of paper to print out one for every room when half of them just use the app. They still have paper ones at the desk if you want one but they can print them as people use them.

I would be disappointed to see the Disney service level decrease, but I think these 2 in particular are pluses, not minuses.

I remember when they took away the chocolates on the pillows / beds at night. At most it cost DCL $30 per night for the ENTIRE Ship (Magic / Wonder). Granted they were not very good chocolates, but always welcomed. There was way more ill will / bad publicity over that change than the money saved. Eventually they came back with the "Sleepy" chocolates and then partnered (I assume) with Ghiradelli for some much better chocolates. Still doesn't cost DCL much, but the good will from that simple little item helps offset the cash-ectomy that DCL does to us whenever we book another cruise with them.

A few small items that differentiate DCL from the others goes a long ways (note: free soda)
I agree when you stay at a high end hotel you expect all the little extras. Disney it high end(price-wise} when comes to cruises. I really wish they'd change the Castaway gift. It's ridiculous to offer the same gift year after year. The state room gifts suck also. Why do I need unripe fruit when there is plenty of fruit onboard. The Chocolates....blah. Palo menu never changes. Come on Disney if your want to keep customers your going have to do better.

Last edited:

There's no getting around the fact that the little bottles are terrible for the environment. Since the larger dispensers are cheaper for the company and there is growing public concern about single use plastics, switching from mini bottles to dispensers is a no brainer for companies. I doubt it will be long before all hotels and cruise lines have made the switch.

Yep, I'm another that views this change as a positive. The only thing is I thought the body wash could be improved - it didn't lather up enough. But that has nothing to do with the packaging.

We've seen the large bottles at several nice hotels lately. I asked about it when I saw them at a Courtyard recently, and they said the whole chain is moving that way, but each individual hotel has some flexibility about when they switch over.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter