Stop with all the Acronyms.... just stop ....

The reality is forums like this are a dying breed. There are many reasons why, but one of the reason you pointed out with your post and some of the replies you received are another reason. I'm fine with some of the acronyms, but some just get downright silly and cliquish.

OMG I can't take it any more everyone is just making up acronyms, like it's to hard to spell out Blizzard Beach or Tower of Terror for the love of god just spell it out.

Thinking of going to MVMCP but will be at BB till 4 so will our FP work on SM at 5 or swap it for BTMR or HM or possibly SM wait SM and SM are the same Acronyms how about JC or POC for god's sake stop people and spell it out.

By the way we have AP's and are thinking of DVC possibly setting WL or BW as our home resorts, what do you think? BW is full but some are available at YC thoughts?

OH MY GOD - TOO FUNNY - TOTALLY AGREE
:rotfl::rotfl2:

Many times I have to ask or google some abbreviations/acronyms even when someone sends me a text. The last one I had to find the meaning of, was - TTYL...........The second time I had a reply of TTYL in my texts, I needed to find out.......they are great when time is limited :)

The reality is forums like this are a dying breed. There are many reasons why, but one of the reason you pointed out with your post and some of the replies you received are another reason. I'm fine with some of the acronyms, but some just get downright silly and cliquish.

I agree 100%. I am a dancer and a dance educator. There was a dance forum that I used for years. One day it was just gone. Despite that, it was still very much used. I see many similarities between that forum and this one particularly to do with the attitude of people who have been here a long time.

LOL! There are times when I post something on here and realize that about every third word is an abbreviation. That's just the nature of the beast though. It happens in every online community regardless of the subject. Go to a board about credit cards and you'll see: CIC, CSP, CSR, FU, CF, WoH, RR, SW, BCE, BCP, UR, MR, PC, MSR, and the list goes on...
I used to frequent an online community that dealt with showing horses, and the names of the popular stallions were always abbreviated: ZMGB, ZCC, ZPB, LAM, DD, TIAH, IA, ASP, LD, NI, DYHAM, and tons more. Some of those critters have long names, and typing them out would be very tedious.
It's normal to get stumped on some abbreviations at times, even in forum where you're very active and well-informed about the topic. There's no way I'm typing out Mickey's No-So-Scary Halloween Party every time though. LOL!
The abbreviations that get me are "DH" and "DD" and others like that. I don't understand why it can't just be husband (or hubby if you want to shorten it by a couple of letters), or daughter. And "DS"? I mean...that's one less letter than "son". That's a weird internet phenomenon to me...everyone referring to their spouses and offspring as "Dear_______" and then abbreviating it. But whatever. I've learned what it means and it doesn't do me any harm.

I haven't been around forever but probably spend at least an hour every day on the boards. I always thought DD, DS, DDIL, etc. meant Disney Daughter, Disney Son, Disney Daughter in Law. No idea why.

OMG I can't take it any more everyone is just making up acronyms, like it's to hard to spell out Blizzard Beach or Tower of Terror for the love of god just spell it out.

Thinking of going to MVMCP but will be at BB till 4 so will our FP work on SM at 5 or swap it for BTMR or HM or possibly SM wait SM and SM are the same Acronyms how about JC or POC for god's sake stop people and spell it out.

By the way we have AP's and are thinking of DVC possibly setting WL or BW as our home resorts, what do you think? BW is full but some are available at YC thoughts?

I think this is a little funny that you started your post with OMG "like it's too hard to spell out Oh My God" LOL, oops, Laughing out loud

I think an important thing to take from the original post is that if you have an issue with how other people are communicating, that's your issue and not theirs. I hope the OP was being sarcastic, but there are others who are not when they make complaints like that. If you don't like people using abbreviations, you can do one of three things about it. 1.) Not use them yourself, and hope it catches on, 2.) Ignore the posts that do use them, or 3.) Stop visiting the blog all together.
Telling others how they should behave, especially in an anonymous forum, is really not going to get you the results you are looking for.

For gods sake some people are offended by my post..! Wow you do understand lots and lots of people read boards and never post you know first time visitors researching disney world for a upcoming trip and they come across mvmcp rd emm emh sm hm mvshp I have been to Disney World hundreds of times and I can't figure out some people ramblings.. Lol and OMG etc etc are damn near words today but first time visitors have no clue what mvmcp fp hm are. So this makes the board very unhelpful for them. So make the board helpful for everyone to read or just disney board veterans who love hm tt sm mvmcp ap bw lol..

Great post OP, unfortunately, many people just don't get irony and sarcasm as humor anymore.
I "get" it, but have a much more difficult time discerning it when it comes to the written word versus hearing what someone says and what tone is being used. Proper use of a single emoji at the end of a sarcastic or ironic post would be very helpful to identify that type of comment, IMO. (in my opinion)

For gods sake some people are offended by my post..! Wow you do understand lots and lots of people read boards and never post you know first time visitors researching disney world for a upcoming trip and they come across mvmcp rd emm emh sm hm mvshp I have been to Disney World hundreds of times and I can't figure out some people ramblings.. Lol and OMG etc etc are damn near words today but first time visitors have no clue what mvmcp fp hm are. So this makes the board very unhelpful for them. So make the board helpful for everyone to read or just disney board veterans who love hm tt sm mvmcp ap bw lol..

So it was not sarcasm, eh?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter