Storing Your Camper or RV

We remove all food stuff, then place some dryer sheets. I also run a Davis air dryer designed for keeping boats mold free.

Better put a few mousetraps in just in case - some mice don't seem to mind the smell! We catch them regularly in our RV garage during the winter in spite of precautions - not even sure how they get in - guess through very small cracks near bottom of overhead door - so far have not found a way into our mh.

Also having the same issues in our house garage - coming in for the warmth - caught two just this week! :( Have lots of woods here - never had this problem until our outdoor mighty mouser died of old age a few years ago!

I've read both ways, one will swear that the Irish spring and dryer sheets work, the next, the mice loved the Irish spring used the dryer sheets for bedding. We don't put either in ours over winter, but remove all the food, bedding material, etc.

Better put a few mousetraps in just in case - some mice don't seem to mind the smell! We catch them regularly in our RV garage during the winter in spite of precautions - not even sure how they get in - guess through very small cracks near bottom of overhead door - so far have not found a way into our mh.

Also having the same issues in our house garage - coming in for the warmth - caught two just this week! :( Have lots of woods here - never had this problem until our outdoor mighty mouser died of old age a few years ago!

They can squeeze through a hole about the size of a dime.

Rusty,

I've been using the Irish Spring and DampRid in my pop-up and Aliner for nearly two decades now.

I can't argue with success.

Ed

Tough to post from my phone but both dryer sheets and Irish spring soap have been debunked with proper testing with actual mice. More than just "it just works for me".

But seen pictures of the soap with bite Marks and green poop around it and nests made from the dryer sheets. Also a mouse that used the box of dryer sheets to store corn.

Tough to post on my phone but both dryer sheets and Irish spring soap have been debunked with proper testing with actual mice. More than just "it just works for me".

But seen pictures of the soap with bite Marks and green poop around it and nests made from the dryer sheets. Also a mouse that used the box of dryer sheets to store corn.

Eta: note peppermint oil does work

It would be wonderful if the soap and dryer sheets worked but the only TNT is to go thru you unit and close up every single space you can find. You can use caulk, place adjustable pipe caps (not the right word but the closest I can think of), and stuff small spaces with steel wool. Removing all food from the unit off season is a good idea since some rodents can chew through not only cardboard but plastic containers.
The soap bars and dryer sheets will keep the RV's air from smelling stale when you return.

Tough to post on my phone but both dryer sheets and Irish spring soap have been debunked with proper testing with actual mice. More than just "it just works for me".

I still can't argue with success, chartle.

Bama Ed

I still can't argue with success, chartle.

Bama Ed

Agreed, Ed first gave me this idea few years ago. No mice. Now, whether it's the soap or mice just don't like my rig, not sure, but either way I'll take it.

Just depends on the mouse, but it is well known that they don't like strong smells, thus the Irish Spring and the also mentioned peppermint oil. However, if you have a mouse that is hungry enough, neither of them is going to work as their desire to live will eventually get them past all options.

Now, if you REALLY want something that is TRULY proven throughout time to work, get a house cat and put him/her in there for a while.

Last edited:
The biggest 8-) problem we have is a certain mouse (who will remain nameless) sneaking into our bank account and cleaning out huge portions of it.
You too!?

That rodent hit us twice last year and I feel like it will probably happen twice more in 2020.

That little bastard got me too. He has recently only hit me 4 times in Florida and 2 times in California. So far....

Yea, i here the stories, and see the pictures people sware by eaither one. But ive also seen the picters of the chewed soap and nest in the dryer sheet box. I put posion blocks in the camper and in the garage. There in little boxes so only the mice can get in, so the cat and fido are safe. Along with sticky traps and spray 2x a year with ortho home defense max inside and out. No mice so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts