• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Straight Arrow means "turn right" and other signage problems

E

erikthewise

After returning from a recent (and very nice) 8-day trip I have three suggestions for improving signage at WDW.

Tyler, if you're watching, please forward to the appropriate office!

(1) Upon arriving at WDW via route 536, we attempted to exit onto Buena Vista Blvd (west) to get to the Beach Club. However that exit was closed. Shortly afterward was a detour sign with a vertical upward arrow. As everyone knows, that means go straight. So I did, continuing onto Epcot Drive, and there were no more detour signs. I became confused and ended up at Epcot parking, which I did NOT want.

It turns out that the vertical arrow meant to turn right(!) onto the exit to Port Orleans etc. (Community Drive?). In the future, please use a right-pointing arrow when you want us to turn right, just like the rest of the world.

(2) Signs directing traffic to theme parks need to make a clear distinction between general directions ("head in the general direction of Epcot") and an actual theme park entrance ("if you head this way you will enter the Epcot parking lot"). The simple way would be to say "Epcot Parking" or "MGM Parking".

When traveling north from 192 on the main entrance (World Drive) I wanted to head to Beach Club but saw only signs for theme parks. Knowing that the entrance to Epcot Resorts Blvd is very near the entrance for MGM, I followed the signs to MGM. From many parts of WDW this works fine. But in this case I ended up about to enter MGM parking through a "back entrance" I didn't even know existed! Fortunately I realized what was happening and bailed out just in time.

(3) When heading from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Animal Kingdom theme park, the turnoff is not only completely unmarked, but the left turn lane has a sign that says (in symbols) "no right turn". In context this is completely meaningless. Who gets in a left turn lane to make a right turn?! I was pretty sure this was the proper turn but was scared off by this bizarre sign.

Only several minutes later does one realize that the sign means "after turning left (when this sign is no longer visible), do not instantly turn right into oncoming traffic on the other side of this divided highway". If someone is going to do that, no sign will stop them. I've never seen a left turn across a divided highway marked in this way. Please replace this useless sign with one that says
"<-- Animal Kingdom".

Not exactly related but, in most of the examples above, the driver was going to a theme park he did not want. The near perfect way to get directions is from the WDW toll booth attendant. Ask with a smile and with empty hands.

I have had good luck getting directions from guard shack agents, when they were the only sign of life along a lonely industrial road. Again, no delay in having to park and get out of the car.

This one is a bit tricky, but the quicker way from Epcot to points on 192 west of main gate (World Drive) is to first follow the MK signs, then after a mile additional Rte. 192 signs will come into view.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

erikthewise

Welcome to the club. I usually get fouled up too. I started an earlier thread on this board about my last trip and signs at WDW. I was very careful to read the signs and it still didn't help. I realized it wasn't me; the signs were at best confusing.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter