Strategies for slowin’ it DOWN

Another x-commando here. The first time I actually sat down, relaxed and people watched for a while was at EPCOT probably 10 years ago? It was a revelation and a real turning point for me. Some of my favorite slow-down things to do are to be at EPCOT RD and walk back to France for breakfast at Les Halles... there will be very few people on that side of WS and it becomes your own private park. I also like to hop to EPCOT most evenings, and take a stroll around WS after sundown, with no agenda in mind. Riding the boats between EPCOT and HS is also nice break, also the boat between MK and Ft Wilderness. I love the rocking chairs over by HoP and I also like resort hop... one trip I spent over an hour in the GF lobby just chilling.

One thing I haven't done yet is to sleep in and plan a later start to the day. Reading all the PPs mention this sounds heavenly, and I'll definitely have to give it a go next trip.

Last edited:
Not good advice for you since you already have a 9 day WDW trip in November, but my advice would be to some day go to the West Coast and do Disneyland resort. We alternate between the two, and DLR is SOOOO much more laid back and easy. It is so much easier to slow down a bit there.

We always say we want to be more laid back at WDW...but it never happens! :rolleyes::laughing:

I agree with a 7 year old, you should try Agent P and Sorc. of the Magic Kingdom. My DD has always loved both of those. Actually- I have had to pry the phone away from DH for Agent P more than once and make him let her do it because he liked it too.

Tom Sawyer's Island makes me crazy. DH and I are always so bored when DD wants to go over there. DH and I can't wait to get off the island! Actually, she usually does it at DLR because Jack Sparrow often meets over there during the day in California. I can't remember if we have ever done it at WDW. I might have successfully avoided it there.

We have been known to occasionally ride the People mover several times in a row to slow things down for a break at MK.

Also, sometimes it is nice to just grab a rocking chair in Frontierland and watch the people go by. We never took breaks when DD was a pre-schooler. Usually she would just nap in the stroller and DH and I would take turns riding some of the big rides (even when she was tall enough there were several she would not ride) . I can remember a time that I just sat in one of the rocking chairs for an hour with her on my lap-- it was really great! So enjoyable to slow down and just take it all in. I would highly recommend getting a snack or drink and just relaxing for a bit in those rocking chairs!

We were Commando until we realized that we were going to keep going back.

Now, although I do plan our fast passes, we don't ever make rope drop and we don't dash from attraction to attraction.

My husband asked me what time we needed to be out of the room. I told him 10 seconds after the door closed. We don't have a plan.

And maybe that is the way we do it. We don't have a plan.

Another x-commando here. The first time I actually sat down, relaxed and people watched for a while was at EPCOT probably 10 years ago? It was a revelation and a real turning point for me. Some of my favorite slow-down things to do are to be at EPCOT RD and walk back to France for breakfast at Les Halles... there will be very few people on that side of WS and it becomes your own private park. I also like to hop to EPCOT most evenings, and take a stroll around WS after sundown, with no agenda in mind. Riding the boats between EPCOT and HS is also nice break, also the boat between M and Ft Wilderness. I love the rolling chairs over by HoP and I also like resort hop... one trip I spent over and hour in the GF lobby just chilling.

One thing I haven't done yet is to sleep in and plan a later start to the day. Reading all the PPs mention this sounds heavenly, and I'll definitely have to give it a go next trip.
Aaaaah, we did Les Halles for breakfast on a trip several years ago and it is one of my happy places when I close my eyes. We better make sure to do thy again before ratatouille comes. Ok, that is a definite must do! :)

Not good advice for you since you already have a 9 day WDW trip in November, but my advice would be to some day go to the West Coast and do Disneyland resort. We alternate between the two, and DLR is SOOOO much more laid back and easy. It is so much easier to slow down a bit there.

We always say we want to be more laid back at WDW...but it never happens! :rolleyes::laughing:

I agree with a 7 year old, you should try Agent P and Sorc. of the Magic Kingdom. My DD has always loved both of those. Actually- I have had to pry the phone away from DH for Agent P more than once and make him let her do it because he liked it too.

Tom Sawyer's Island makes me crazy. DH and I are always so bored when DD wants to go over there. DH and I can't wait to get off the island! Actually, she usually does it at DLR because Jack Sparrow often meets over there during the day in California. I can't remember if we have ever done it at WDW. I might have successfully avoided it there.

We have been known to occasionally ride the People mover several times in a row to slow things down for a break at MK.

Also, sometimes it is nice to just grab a rocking chair in Frontierland and watch the people go by. We never took breaks when DD was a pre-schooler. Usually she would just nap in the stroller and DH and I would take turns riding some of the big rides (even when she was tall enough there were several she would not ride) . I can remember a time that I just sat in one of the rocking chairs for an hour with her on my lap-- it was really great! So enjoyable to slow down and just take it all in. I would highly recommend getting a snack or drink and just relaxing for a bit in those rocking chairs!
Love this! I’ve never rocked in Frontierland but will give it a try, maybe with a lemonade :)

One of my favorite memories is when DD was a baby and needed to nurse, and we sat in the UK gardens at Epcot- it was early in the morning, not a soul to be found, and lovely music playing. Just a nice breeze from the lagoon. Sigh. :)

I'm trying so hard to make this trip more relaxing than the last... when you want to experience everything (especially in the case of a trip that may be your last one) it's hard to just let it go and see what happens. lol So this trip, I have scheduled in down time, resort/pool time, a few sleep in mornings. Instead of having ride by ride according to times in my spreadsheet (because yes I did that), I have a block of time and in that block of time all I have is the area we'll be exploring. Like one morning we'll focus on Fantasyland, and then another day we'll explore Adventureland. If we have extra time after we've seen/done everything in that area, we'll just fly by the seat of our pants and people watch, jump on another ride, etc. Aside from adr's and fp's, I really don't care what we do as long as we are still getting in some rides and shows and fun stuff. :)

Step 1) sleep in
Step 2) ?
Step 3) profit!

In terms of doing something different, there are additional activities at parks like the MK Pirate adventures (you pick up a map and find locations, there are some neat effects you get to see. I think you get a Pirates FP+ after completing a few maps) also SOTC.
Spend time hiking around Tom Sawyer island

EPCOT has the passport (talk to the CM’s at each country) and Phineas and Ferb

Boating around 7 Seas and Bay Lake is a great way to relax and enjoy the area.

We eat. We have never been a commando family, however it is really easy to get drawn into that "must get to the next attraction" mentality, so we do what a lot of people insist is a time drain, we schedule dinner every day. WE book out FP for every park, and we are never strategic. We usually book them for about an hour after park opens, or if I plan a day to enter the park later, we book them around our dinner ADR. WE decide ahead what is important must do attractions, or events, and then that is it. We stop and look for hidden Mickeys, or right now, Pokémon Go things, (I don't play, but DSIL, DD, and DGD do) so they are pokeying along, and while they do, we take notice of whatever is around. So many details to see!

We have played Kim P or Agent P in Epcot. DSIL plays sorcerers in MK. We also stroll through the shops. But what I think forces us to relax and take it easy on a Disney vacation is dining. We do not go to dinner without a trip back to the resort for a shower and change, so we tend to swim or those who play cards will do that, and then we change and meander to dinner. Even lunch tends to be a relaxed time where we regroup and relax. None of us want to return home needing a vacation from our Disney vacation.

To me, there is no "strategy" for that. As the Nike ads said, just do it.

We don't rope drop, don't commando tour, don't even have all kinds of plans. We just wing it most of the time. It's fabulous. Sure, we'll do our 3 FP+ at 30 days out (or whenever we can) but even those change often. We wake up in the morning (no alarm clock, whenever we naturally wake) and look at our existing FP+ plans. If we like them, we go. If we decide we'd rather go elsewhere, we change them. When we're in the park, if we decide we're tired, we leave. If we are hungry, we stop and eat. If we want to go to a different park, we go.

Since you're a seasoned veteran, it's definitely easier. Even though I still wouldn't recommend commando, full plan touring, I can see why a newbie would be tempted to do that. If you're a veteran and want to take it slow, just do it.

It sounds like you have a hard time not planning. That's fine... planning is fun! It's a puzzle to put together all the pieces to meet the needs of everyone. What makes for a good plan in my opinion is that you can take it or leave it. It's that simple. If you are there and you're back in Rafiki's but it took a little longer and your next FP is for Everest are you open to just say "skip it" and roll with what you were doing that your kids were having fun with? Deal with Everest later? Or not at all? Do any of the rides really matter? Make a plan, cuz I know you will. Just be open to crumple it up and go with whatever when you're there. The "oh my god we're going to have to leave here eventually" will hit you around mid-trip, so make sure from the get-go that you're enjoying the vacation for the family time and not just running to repeat rides you've done a million times anyways. Before you know it you'll be back at work and wishing you'd spent more time relaxing and less time running.

One thing I do for fun with my very elaborate nicely decorated masterpieces... er um.. spreadsheets, is when I get back I like to mark it up with all the things we skipped. It's an interesting exercise! I find I plan more dining than we end up using. And more gets skipped toward the 2nd half of the trip.

Last edited:
It’s been 4 years since we’ve been after several years of going 1-2 times a year and I’m surprised how relaxed I have become about the planning. We didn’t book our resort until 30 days out so no FOP, SDD or SDMT FP + for us. But I’ve decided it’s fine! Especially after reading some threads where people are stressing, anxious and angry over fast passes. We’ve typically always been commando before but I’m just going to enjoy what’s there and being there this time.

It sounds like you have a hard time not planning. That's fine... planning is fun! It's a puzzle to put together all the pieces to meet the needs of everyone. What makes for a good plan in my opinion is that you can take it or leave it. It's that simple. If you are there and you're back in Rafiki's but it took a little longer and your next FP is for Everest are you open to just say "skip it" and roll with what you were doing that your kids were having fun with? Deal with Everest later? Or not at all? Do any of the rides really matter? Make a plan, cuz I know you will. Just be open to crumple it up and go with whatever when you're there. The "oh my god we're going to have to leave here eventually" will hit you around mid-trip, so make sure from the get-go that you're enjoying the vacation for the family time and not just running to repeat rides you've done a million times anyways. Before you know it you'll be back at work and wishing you'd spent more time relaxing and less time running.

One thing I do for fun with my very elaborate nicely decorated masterpieces... er um.. spreadsheets, is when I get back I like to mark it up with all the things we skipped. It's an interesting exercise! I find I plan more dining than we end up using. And more gets skipped toward the 2nd half of the trip.
Yeah, you got me, I’m a planner (lol). With each trip I’ve gotten better and planned a little less each time, opening up some time for flexibility. (DH says I have to plan to be spontaneous lol). I’ve even had Disney related nightmares where we are getting ready to leave the trip and only got to the parks 2/7 days!!! Horrors!

I feel something inside me changing though, and am looking forward to truly embracing some openness, taking the foot off the accelerator, and smelling the roses.

We still rope drop and go commando till lunch THEN we slow it down. We are early morning people anyway and find the parks less crowded and comfortable temperatures. After lunch we let the kids go off and do their thing ( I have older college aged ones to go with my tween) and DH and I slow it down, enjoy some dole whip, have a drink, and people watch or do something slower. We usually go back to the resort ( typically Ft Wilderness) and relax. We will ride the golf cart, swim, see the movie or do the Chip and Dale sing a long. Sometimes we just sit at the campsite and chill out. The more often we go toWDW the easier it gets. Plus we are getting too old to run from ride to ride lol

I think I got it down for a relaxing trip although my dh still thought our August trip we were always on the go!

We went for 11 days (may try 12 in 4 years and 11 months). We only did 5 park days and it was every other day. Arrival day was a non park day and departure day as well.

Those that wanted to sleep in could and those that didn’t...me....did not. I was doing laundry at 6-7 because I was up and wanted to be at the pool for a table for 9.

We park hop, I don’t plan on seeing everything and I am OK with that. I try to do the am EMH park if it falls on a park day just to get a few extra rides in. Heck we did the 7am DHS twice this summer.

Non park days are essential for us to just relax.

Yeah, you got me, I’m a planner (lol). With each trip I’ve gotten better and planned a little less each time, opening up some time for flexibility. (DH says I have to plan to be spontaneous lol). I’ve even had Disney related nightmares where we are getting ready to leave the trip and only got to the parks 2/7 days!!! Horrors!

I feel something inside me changing though, and am looking forward to truly embracing some openness, taking the foot off the accelerator, and smelling the roses.

Then don't plan. Seriously. I know a lot of people enjoy it, and that's cool. But if you're feeling like you don't want to, then don't. I promise, you won't forget to go to the parks or stand around doing nothing...unless that's what you plan to do. :D

Take it from a senior who does it slow every year. 1st thing, get rid of the fast passes for a couple of days. You said it not me, the amount of rides isn't important. Next, stay in bed till your eyes open up-don't use an alarm clock, courtesy call-nothing. When you wake up, you get up. Have a nice breakfast at the hotel. Then you can go to a park. If it is MK, walk in, head straight to the porch chairs and enjoy the view. This is a great time for the first mickey ice cream bar of the day. Next, walk through every store on main street. Remember, you don't have to rush off to get to a ride because you are taking it slow and you got rid of those dang FP's. Next, let your desires take you to your next destination in the park. Remember, you are taking it easy and there is no where you have to be, nothing you have to do. That is how my wife and I do it every year and we have the best, most relaxing vacation every year. Don't forget the pool time in the afternoon.

We eat. We have never been a commando family, however it is really easy to get drawn into that "must get to the next attraction" mentality, so we do what a lot of people insist is a time drain, we schedule dinner every day. WE book out FP for every park, and we are never strategic. We usually book them for about an hour after park opens, or if I plan a day to enter the park later, we book them around our dinner ADR. WE decide ahead what is important must do attractions, or events, and then that is it. We stop and look for hidden Mickeys, or right now, Pokémon Go things, (I don't play, but DSIL, DD, and DGD do) so they are pokeying along, and while they do, we take notice of whatever is around. So many details to see!

I agree with this. Dinner plans and some FPs every day. One of the luxuries of going multiple times is NOT having to fit EVERYTHING in! So I make a dinner ADR, reserve some FPs (and with parkhoppers - they don't even have to be in the same park!). Everything else is all about whatever happens along the way. It's not about seeing or doing everything. It's about enjoying your family as you do whatever you get done. That makes it a family vacation.

Of all my favorite memories of Disney, one of the best is walking into Epcot when dd was about 7 or so. All of a sudden, she stomps on my shadow and says "tag. You're it" To me, Disney was not just about spending time with my dd. It was about spending time with my dd where the only priority was to have some fun. Be silly.

Good luck! Hope you have a great time!

Lots of good suggestions here, and I can't really improve much on them. FP+ can be handy if you don't let yourself be governed by them. My DH and I have learned to take it slower as we age, and we will make FP+ for late morning and early afternoon. But if we don't get there on time for a FP+, then we just don't. It's often pretty easy to reschedule a FP+ for later. One thing that has just been touched on here is ADRs. We make very few, partly because we don't want to spend that much money on a meal but mostly because we don't want to be locked into being in a particular park at a particular time. There are some really good counter service restaurants, and you could always see what's available for ADRs in the park you happen to be in.

For me a big part of a WDW trip is enjoying the resort - swimming, dining, maybe the spa, etc. If I'm paying deluxe resort prices I want to enjoy the resort, not rush around the park so I can do every attraction. So I schedule breaks or early evenings.

Even though I don't make it to WDW annually I've been enough to know what attractions are worth my energy. FP+ helps. I also think looking over the attractions listings and prioritizing your must dos and the attractions you're willing to skip is helpful.

I also love the waterparks. Not sure it qualifies as "slowing" down, but I find the pace of the waterparks relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter