Stroller advice WWYD

My kids were 8 and 5 on our last trip. I rented a double Citi-Mini thinking that we would really need it with all the walking and the heat of August. For us, it was a waste. They used once in Epcot when it was downpouring and they were under the rain cover. Of course only you know your children, but it may be a better idea to rent one in the park f needed.

Topic #99,542 on this subject. I have 5 kids, 8, 7, 7, 3, 3. I am bringing our Bumbleride double stroller for the little twins but am curious what you experts would do about the big kids. Bring an umbrella stroller so they can take turns in it? Rent an offsite double stroller? Rent one of the doubles at the park? I am concerned with lugging two double strollers on the bus; the Bumbleride itself is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks in advance!!!

Even though 7 yr. olds may need rest at times, because you also have two 3 yr. olds in the mix, I would personally just bring the one stroller. That will be plenty to maneuver in the parks, busses, etc. Just take extra breaks for the older ones. I would never want to go with more than one stroller, especially a double as it would be hard to make headway in the crowds. JMO, you know your kids.

Could you get a boogie board you could attach to the back axle to offer an older child a ride? I am bringing a single stroller for my 6 year old (small for her age and who complains about long walks) and will bring the boogie board for my 8 year old to catch a ride after a long day. It’s also a bit of peace of mind to have him right next to me - no worry of losing him!

Most of the boogie boards have a weight limit of 40lbs or less, there are a few exceptions but they don't fold with the stroller making it just as easy to rock with 2 strollers etc...

You can always make your own! I made a thread about it on here some time ago, cheap, folds with the stroller and has a weight capacity of 500lbs+ haha ;o)

Hi! I read this a couple of days ago and wanted to chime in my experience. I have 4 kiddos (3 within 2.5 years). When they were 2, 4.5, 4.5, and 11, I went to the parks a lot by myself. (We lived about 7 hours away, and it was a bucket list thing for me...we ended up going 10 times in one year; I went 1 extra with girlfriends, which was amazing!). I took my City Select baby jogger. It's tandem so not as wide as a double. There would be times that all three little ones would be asleep in the stroller, the baby piled on top of one twin. Or one would climb in the baket underneath and sleep like a squirrel in a nest. I avoided the bus like the plague. Getting those sleeping babies out was not worth it, so I'd walk farther just to not have to move them.

I highly recommend taking a small second stroller. Cheap umbrella even. Walking through the parks is so exhausting, and just like a puppy on a walk, they wear themselves out quickly. I am not a fan of renting a disney stroller as they look so massively uncomfortable with that hard plastic. We are hard core rope drop, stay as much as you can kind of park goers. So everyone get exhausted. I've got a power napper that once she has a 15 minute nap she can stay till midnight. I've got one that would ride around in a scooter if I'd rent it for him (nope, not happending, your legs are perfectly fine). Like many said, you know the stamina of your kids better than anyone.

Hey! I just wanted to add something else. Totally not about strollers. On rides that seat 2 only, you and your other adult will need to split the 3 year old twins. The 7 year old twins will ride together, but the 8 year old will be by themselves. Sometimes, they put another person with a child single rider, and sometimes not. If this is something you feel strongly about (a stranger riding next to your child), let the CM know and hopefully thay can accomodate.

You will definitely see older than normal children in strollers at WDW. I would be more apt to modify my touring plan to allow for breaks rather than try to rope drop until past kiddos' endurance level while visiting the world but that's my thunk and not necessarily others.
Do what makes you comfortable but don't forget that your children might feel uncomfortable being rolled around.
We live in a city so walking long distances is normal but even when we camped with younguns they walked/hiked a lot.
Nothing at Disney's parks fits into the children or adults (the man and I are both over 60) too much walking thunk for me but your life could well be different.

Last edited:

We have a 6.5 yr old. We live in a more rural area with no sidewalks to connect things outside of isolated subdivisions. She doesn't have walking stamina and it's hard to build...can't walk to the park, etc. We are going in April and I'm torn about the stroller. It would help tremendously but general consensus is she's too old, which I get. But 6am wake up to 10pm (even with a rest 3-6) is a lot for 6 days in a row. We will bring the stroller and try not to use it, but if it is needed we got it. We told her she's in training and we are walking with her more at night after dinner, but that's still different than walking all day long. But I'm hoping the magic will help energize her
Wow. I've been going to WDW for 21 years and I've never done a 6:30AM to 10PM day. That would tire me out so much that I would want to take a few days off or head home. When you say 3-6 rest, make that a nap time and not just pool time. You'll feel so much better. Even better is leave the park at lunch time to return to your resort and don't go back to a park until dinner time.

No judgement on bringing a stroller for an older kid, we are totally bringing ours for our 8 year old for our Christmas trip(really to hold all of our stuff), but the sharing idea sounds rough, especially with three kids vying for the seat. You'll likely have everyone get tired at the same time and have 2 less seats than you need and a major fight on your hands. I would say just bring a stroller for the three year olds and see how it goes. You could always rent one in the parks if needed.

We rented a stroller from an outside company for our 6.5 year old. She had great stamina as a competitive swimmer, but we came from a place with moderate temps and worried about the heat and the long days. I would definitely take the double stroller, but I like the idea of having one parent being able to focus on keeping track of the walking kids. We found we used the stroller for mostly walking between areas and parked it the rest of the time. When we went back when she was 8 she refused to even think of going in one. You know your kids, if you think the older one would ride quite a bit I would plan on renting or taking a second stroller. If they wouldn't be caught dead in it, they could share the one you do take an follow their hints for needing rest.

I would absolutely not want two double strollers at Disney, but you do what works for your family. We just got back from Disney and my 6yo, 8yo, and 9yo did not have any trouble walking during all of our park days. My 6YO does not have much stamina, when we take walks around town he is the first one to complain about being tired. But I don't remember him complaining once during our days. The only time the kids would complain about their legs being tired was during long waits in line for rides, and you can't have strollers during those times anyway.

We actually played it by ear and decided we would rent a Disney stroller for my 4YO if he seemed like he needed one. On our first park day, we were going strong for a good 12 hours and my little energizer bunny was totally fine and never even asked for a stroller. On our second day, about halfway through he was requesting a stroller, and on our 3rd park day he wanted a stroller right away. So you could bring your double stroller for the little ones and then play it by ear with the older kids? Rent a stroller if necessary?

No judgement on bringing a stroller for an older kid, we are totally bringing ours for our 8 year old for our Christmas trip(really to hold all of our stuff), but the sharing idea sounds rough, especially with three kids vying for the seat. You'll likely have everyone get tired at the same time and have 2 less seats than you need and a major fight on your hands. I would say just bring a stroller for the three year olds and see how it goes. You could always rent one in the parks if needed.

What exactly are you bringing to the parks to need a stroller for? And what do you do with the stuff when you go on a ride? I've been winter, spring, summer and fall, and never needed a stroller to hold 'stuff' in the parks - are you bringing the kitchen sink, LOL?

I also agree, bring both, see how it goes the first couple of days and then decide if you want to continue bringing both. We just came back from a trip where my youngest was 6. I went back and forth on whether to bring a stroller and am glad I did. I had it for when we needed it, sometimes it was just to get out of the sun for a bit as the week we went in November needed up being very hot and humid.

I am bringing our Bumbleride double stroller for the little twins but am curious what you experts would do about the big kids. Bring an umbrella stroller so they can take turns in it? Rent an offsite double stroller? Rent one of the doubles at the park? I am concerned with lugging two double strollers on the bus; the Bumbleride itself is a force to be reckoned with. Thanks in advance!!!
Certainly the 3 year olds will need a stroller, but the 7 year olds should be fine walking about the parks. They get breaks from walking when going on rides or eating a meal. Test them out now taking them for walks - tell them you are training them for disney! We did this with my 4DD. Of course just walking around our neighborhood she would complain about being tired, but at Disney she didn't complain an ounce (unless it was real late). There is usually so much excitement that they will forget about being tired or wanting to complain. So for your families ease of getting around i would stick with one stroller for the little ones. If you absolutely need to get one for the 7 year olds then have one delivered when you get there.

It is hard enough to manage the crowds with one stroller so I can only imagine how it would be dealing with 2 - and god help the parent that has to push 2- 7 year old kids around.

My DD first trip was when she was 4 almost 5 this past April. She walked all over the parks (My fit bit said we walked 80 miles that week and she did it all!). Of course she was tired and needed those little breaks from walking but the adults did too. We were back there just a couple weeks ago and again she did amazing. So your 7 year olds, unless they have some sort of disability. should be fine walking. Just plan for some afternoon breaks and try not to pack in too much running around the parks. Having a good plan will help avoid having exhausted kids.

What exactly are you bringing to the parks to need a stroller for? And what do you do with the stuff when you go on a ride? I've been winter, spring, summer and fall, and never needed a stroller to hold 'stuff' in the parks - are you bringing the kitchen sink, LOL?

They could be a "bring food and drinks into the park" family.

OP, I would bring the one stroller (and try to downsize to a smaller one before you go - WDW is getting pretty cramped in their stores, etc, and it would be a pain to take a larger stroller through, IMO.) and then try a day without one for the older kids. Rent in the parks if necessary, that way you wouldn't have to schlep two strollers and 5 kids onto a bus.

Also, if you do end up with 2 strollers, perhaps consider renting a car - that way you wouldn't have to use the buses at all!

The older kids don't need a stroller.
Our triplets walked at that age and we did all day park days w/ no breaks more than once. (Their choice, we would have quit for the room/pool at any time if they wanted to).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter