Stroller for 4 & 6 year old?

Maxpowers

DIS Dad #803
Looking for a bit of advice. We're heading down in February and will have a 4 yo and a 6 yo with us. I know the 4 yo will need a stroller (or I'll just end up carrying her everywhere) and the 6 yo will need it sometimes (8-13 miles walking is a bit much for him), but I absolutely dread pushing a double wide through those crowds. I did it once already and hated pushing it through. Any recommendations? We're looking at the sit and stand ones, but the one we have is so long maneuvering it through those crowds might be worse than a double wide.

So here are out current ideas:

1. Bring the single city mini + a umbrella that can be attached or strapped onto the city mini somehow
2. Buy/rent a new stand and sit (looking for maneuverability)
3. umbrella double wide (still double wide...ugh)
4. Rent another double wide city mini and just bite the bullet.

Appreciate any input or strategies anyone else has used.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Each to their own, but we used an umbrella double wide for many years and loved it. It wasn't a $20 Wal-Mart special, but it also wasn't a $200 stroller either. We don't have it anymore, so I don't recall the brand, but it was a step up from the Wal-Mart special. Like you said, the ones that have them front to back, even sit/stands, typically are very long and are just as cumbersome...if not more. The only time we really had a challenge with the double wide was in a crowded store. That was a pain. Otherwise, in the parks themselves, no big deal.

I will have an almost 6 year old and a just turned 4 year old on our trip this fall. We're taking our double stroller but it's not double wide, it's two seats one behind the other. We took it last time too. I wouldn't want to go without it even though it's not the most easily maneuverable thing ever. I like having the stroller basket for cups, backpack, jackets, etc. It's my personal preference...

I'd consider attaching a Buggy Board (or some other brand) behind your regular stroller, for your 6-year-old to stand on when he needs to (and you can detach and leave in the hotel or put in the stroller basket when he doesn't). But not that these sometimes don't work well with jogging-style strollers, because the handle bar is so far behind the back wheels.

Have you looked at the Chicco Bravo for 2? It's a fairly new stroller. I definitely don't NEED another one
but I have been eyeing this one up for a few months now.

I've considered the Buggy board or something like it, the problem I have with it is that it is standing only. I did see some with seats, but question how well they would work (and for the price you can get a whole other stroller).

I've been checking out the Bravo for 2. It looks very maneuverable and the size looks perfect, but the sit/stand part is supposed to have a 40 lbs weight limit which seems kind of low (at least for a 6 yo). We'll be pushing over that limit very soon and at $250 it may not be worth it. If that had come out a year or 2 ago, I'd be all over it.

My kids are also 6 and 4 and we took a smaller Chicco double (side-by-side) stroller. I'm thinking it was an Echo, but I'm not sure. We had borrowed it. The kids definitely needed it after a long week of walking and when they fell asleep after fireworks, BUT they were getting heavy enough in it that it was sometimes hard to turn. Also, their legs were a little long if they fell asleep and couldn't control when their legs slipped off.

We had a sit and stand, but I actually hated it more and we even sold it before our trip. Our 4 year old was far too heavy for the front and made turning it impossible. So if your 4 year old is on the bigger side, I would be hesitant to go that route. For comparison, my 4 year old is 44 in and about 40lbs, so far from a chunk, but bigger than the average 4 year old.

We are planning on renting a double City-Mini on our next trip. I saw plenty of bigger kids fitting fairly comfortably in those. I never really had an issue with the side-by-side aspect in the parks, as far as fitting in places. I actually even preferred the side-by-side at parades, etc, bc we could claim our spot and have more room to breathe with the crowds.

Last edited:

The double city-mini fits through most doors so it's not terribly wide. We were so happy we had it when our kids were that age. The older child used it a lot more than we expected and she was still comfortable. Totally worth the hassle, IMO.

I am going through this now with my kids.

I recommend the sit and stand!

We have a regular stroller that we "kinda" use as a sit and stand. My son stands on the back basket when we wants to ride. But a year of that is causing wear and tear on the poor basket--so we just got my sisters old sit and stand.

I looked at the buggy board and even used it is expensive.

Do you have a good baby consignment shop around you? We have a store called once upon a child around us but not sure if it is national.

They had a TON of used sit and stands for 30 each (or less) depending on condition. I was just there this past week, (i was about to buy one until i found out my sister had a used one i could have!). My store had at least 10 used ones. And heck, for that price, you dont have to be concerned about the weight breaking it. It just has to make it through the trip!!!!

Last edited:
Looking for a bit of advice. We're heading down in February and will have a 4 yo and a 6 yo with us. I know the 4 yo will need a stroller (or I'll just end up carrying her everywhere) and the 6 yo will need it sometimes (8-13 miles walking is a bit much for him), but I absolutely dread pushing a double wide through those crowds. I did it once already and hated pushing it through. Any recommendations? We're looking at the sit and stand ones, but the one we have is so long maneuvering it through those crowds might be worse than a double wide.

So here are out current ideas:

1. Bring the single city mini + a umbrella that can be attached or strapped onto the city mini somehow
2. Buy/rent a new stand and sit (looking for maneuverability)
3. umbrella double wide (still double wide...ugh)
4. Rent another double wide city mini and just bit the bullet.

Appreciate any input or strategies anyone else has used.

Thanks!

We have taken the double wide citi mini several times and it is fine. To us the benefits outweigh the negatives with the main thing being you have a mobile place for the kids to nap.

The busses and resort launch boats can be a pain when you have to fold it up, but that's only a few minutes out of your vacation.

Also it's great to have a place to throw everything you need for the day under the stroller. It is easy to just find a central place to park it (like near the carousel in MK or the Land in Epcot) and go on foot when the kids are full of energy.

Also remember to buy on our own or check with the rental company to make sure you have a stroller cover because if it gets soaked the kids won't sit in it anyway.

What @WedWayPilot said. Our city mini double worked great for us last year. It's pretty narrow and fits through most doorways.

Its just my opinion that a 6 year old does not need a stroller.
If tired then take a break by sitting somewhere with a snack or doing an attraction that gets him off his feet for a good amount of time like a show.
Honestly the most tiring part is generally the standing in line not really the walking part and you can't have a stroller in line anyways. (with some exceptions).
As for bringing an extra stroller and attaching it I'm not sure how that is gonna be a viable option?
I would bring a stroller for the 4 year old and then say the 4 year old rather walk or be carried at one point then the 6 year old could take advantage or if need be you could just rent from the park.

We've done the sit-n-stand for a 3 and 6 year old and it worked out really well. There's a little seat that can be used for the older child to sit if they don't want to stand anymore. It was perfect for us and manoeuvring wasn't too big of a deal.

I would bring 2 singles. You can always leave one or both parked somewhere for an extended period of time. My kids are 6 and 9 now, but we still bring 1 umbrella stroller. We often leave it parked for hours but its still nice getting to/from the parking area at the beginning and end of each day.

I would bring 2 singles. You can always leave one or both parked somewhere for an extended period of time. My kids are 6 and 9 now, but we still bring 1 umbrella stroller. We often leave it parked for hours but its still nice getting to/from the parking area at the beginning and end of each day.

Don't know why I hadn't even thought of just leaving one parked somewhere. That's a great idea.

Its just my opinion that a 6 year old does not need a stroller.

In everyday life I agree with you. But the last time I was in the parks we walked an average of 10 miles a day. That is a big ask for a 6 year old. Especially, that much walking 7 days in a row.

The strapping a umbrella stroller, would involved buying some velcro strips and literally strapping the umbrella to the long arm of our city mini. This seems a bit crazy, but trying to think outside the box a bit.

@lynzi2004, @LizGirl, @WedWayPilot and @4Hawks I know! There's a reason you see so many double city mini's at the park. It's probably the best solution. The last time I was there with the kids we went with that set up, but pushing it through the crowds was horrendous. I am hoping the crowds will be less this time (accidentally went during marathon weekend last time...doh!).

In everyday life I agree with you. But the last time I was in the parks we walked an average of 10 miles a day. That is a big ask for a 6 year old. Especially, that much walking 7 days in a row.

While I do not have kids I have gone with kids that age and I myself was a child that age going to the parks and at 6 my family feels strollers are more hassle than they are worth and just take a break.
Again just my opinion but I wanted to give you an idea that it is coming from a place of experience.
But you know your own child's limitations.

Once our twins got to that age we ditched the Citi brands which were wonderful heavy duty strollers but not needed any more when we pretty much only used the stroller at Disney. The double ones were still best - but we got a lighter weight one. There are some good relatively inexpensive brands that are better than umbrella but not so heavy as the citi line. They're also good for storing stuff!

What we tried to do as much as possible is stroll them to an area, say Fantasyland. Park at the carousel and do the whole area by foot. Then stroll them to the next main area. They still got some breaktime for the longer walks or if they needed a little break while we meandered a bit but were able to do longer portions by foot. Our twins are 8 now and I think we're going to bring the stroller one last time but I anticipate will be used very sparingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter