Stroller regrets?

allison8033

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, planning a trip for April and we're undecided about a stroller. Kids will be 9 and 7, but both are on the small side. I was all set not to rent a double for this trip as we have on our last 2 trips, but then I thought about back packs and water bottles and everything else. A single stroller won't work because I know they would argue over it. We haven't used a stroller at home for years, not since the youngest was walking and never used a double, it's only a Disney thing for us. When did you give up on a stroller? Did you regret going without one? Thanks!!!

I would definitely take one for my soon to be seven year old but I know her personality and that she would need the break. I’d rather have it than not - it’s a ton of walking!
You could plan on a lot of breaks but I personally would rather push the kiddos to the next destination and let them rest that way.

I would ask your kids. Our 6yo is almost never in a stroller at home and walks EVERYWHERE (we live in NYC), but she requested a stroller at WDW so we rented a city mini double. turns out it was good because if we were running late and she was hangry or tired, she could sit in it and have a snack or chill for a while, and we could get where we were going quickly (and get some exercise). Also, it was helpful for convincing our 2 yo to ride in the stroller instead of walking, which would have taken us forever to get anywhere. And when the thunderstorms hit, it was invaluable. (we rented a city mini and it came with a rain cover).

Last edited:
Used a stroller for son when he was 2, didn't use one when he was 4 and aren't using on in a couple of weeks when he'll be 6

It's a personal decision, you'll get plenty of opinions on both sides. We used them until our kids were 9, and have zero regrets whatsoever. I know we did the right thing for us.

The only other opinion I'll give you is that renting strollers from WDW is a gigantic money waste. It's ridiculous what they charge. Buy one, it's cheaper. Then sell it on Craigslist when you're done, or donate it if you really want.

Strollers are always up for debate... If you are rethinking the whole stroller issue then you should listen to you. You know your family the best... and how much stuff that you need carry... and how your family will act, when over tired, " hold me" or the family walking through the park with 2 kiddos asleep in their arms, with backpacks and bags dangling off of each of them.... Famished kids including mom and Dad, or just over stimulated. For me I would rather be safe then scrambling around begging someone to rent us a stroller.

Our friends came with their whole family adult kids and grandkids... The oldest son decided that he did not want to be bothered with the whole stroller thing in the air port or lugging them on and off the buses... so the younger son follow his older brother example... But one daughter was like no way they are going to need a stroller for her kids, the youngest daughter does not have any kiddos yet... By the time they arrived, which their plane was delayed for a couple of hours before leaving home and again delayed at their layover... the kids were already to that hold me stage and did not want to walk any more. By the time they checked in, got settled in the room, and headed for QS dinner by the pool, both brothers were completely not wanting to admit mom was right, but were looking at what it cost to rent a stroller in the parks... So my friend did what any good mom and grandma does, she did not listen to them to begin with so when they went to pick up the strollers she had a already rented 3 doubles... and she said Yep MOM knows best... Priceless...

Have the 9 year old push the 7 year old.

You know...not sure if you were being tongue in cheek ('cause it's funny), but it's actually not a bad suggestion. We sort of got into that the last year or so we had our kids in strollers. They liked the stroller, but sometimes wanted to push each other around. They thought it was awesome. We watched them carefully to make sure they weren't ramming into other guests, but we let them do it. Now, we still use a stroller, but it's just for carrying all of our food since we bring it all in. The kids literally argue over who gets to push the stroller.

If u think they will need it. Get it.
It’s the best. This past summer my daughter was 5 and rented a double. My 9 year old who is short rode in it a lot too.
They had a blast. Popped in and out so easy and quick. And I agree it’s like a home base for all ur stuff too.
Nothing worse then seeing parents yell at there kids cause their tired. Lol. It’s hot and a lot of walking. The Stroller helps the kids and if there happy it makes trip more enjoyable. We don’t like to leave for mid day breaks. Seems like a waste. But we do have a day or two off to enjoy pools and relax. STroller makes trip better

Use the stroller if you think it'll work for your kids. But, before you do, consider their combined weight. My kids are a bit tall for their ages, but I can't imagine pushing a 9 & 7 year old in a double stroller. I thought the double was heavy when my kids were 5 & 2. If you are considering renting a double stroller in Orlando (a regular stroller, not a park one), see how they fit in a stroller you still have at home. Even if they are small for their ages, they still might be too big. I think the rental companies will give you the height/weight limits for the different types of strollers, so check those carefully. It would be a pain to rent a double stroller only to find out that your kids don't fit comfortably.

We have been to Disney 7 times starting when my daughter was 2. Of course, when they were little, we brought our own stroller so that we'd have it in the airport too. The last time we had a stroller, my daughter was 8 and my son was 5. We used it twice (on an 8-day trip) and one of those times it got soaked in the rain while we ate dinner, so we ended up pushing it back to the hotel and my son walked. Since then, we have never had a stroller (we've been 3 times since then) and I haven't missed it at all. In fact, I absolutely love not taking it on the bus, finding a place to park it, finding it after the ride, and dealing with it in the hotel room. We didn't keep anything in the basket of the stroller, so I can't say my backpack is any heavier after giving up the stroller. In fact, I've been able to take less sometimes because the kids are older and don't need as much stuff. My daughter is now 9, like yours. A couple of times, I went to the parks with a small cross body purse that held my phone and money (and not much else).

Leading up to our trips, the kids and I took long walks (1.5-2 miles) every weekend. I figured it would help get them in shape for walking in Disney World. I'm not sure how much it really helped, but it didn't hurt either. We'd talk about Disney while we walked.

Strollers are always up for debate... If you are rethinking the whole stroller issue then you should listen to you. You know your family the best... and how much stuff that you need carry... and how your family will act, when over tired, " hold me" or the family walking through the park with 2 kiddos asleep in their arms, with backpacks and bags dangling off of each of them.... Famished kids including mom and Dad, or just over stimulated. For me I would rather be safe then scrambling around begging someone to rent us a stroller.

Our friends came with their whole family adult kids and grandkids... The oldest son decided that he did not want to be bothered with the whole stroller thing in the air port or lugging them on and off the buses... so the younger son follow his older brother example... But one daughter was like no way they are going to need a stroller for her kids, the youngest daughter does not have any kiddos yet... By the time they arrived, which their plane was delayed for a couple of hours before leaving home and again delayed at their layover... the kids were already to that hold me stage and did not want to walk any more. By the time they checked in, got settled in the room, and headed for QS dinner by the pool, both brothers were completely not wanting to admit mom was right, but were looking at what it cost to rent a stroller in the parks... So my friend did what any good mom and grandma does, she did not listen to them to begin with so when they went to pick up the strollers she had a already rented 3 doubles... and she said Yep MOM knows best... Priceless...

I love this story! So true... it is up to what you think is best for your family, but really....think about how tired adults can get at the parks and traveling. I always bring a double them for my kids - and this year they will be 4 and 7 when we are there. I know soon they won't need it, but I am sure this summer we will.

Hi ... said this on other stroller threads so please excuse the duplication. No regrets! Why?

* Stroller = less whiny kids (& subsequently less cranky adults) due to tired kids
* Stroller = storage
* Stroller = safety (prefer to push my youngest through large crowds)
* Stroller = napping place (my youngest doesn't nap at home but did at Disneyland)

Note: if you have enough adults have you considered 2 singles instead of 1 double? Reason?

* Combined weight = harder to push (as another poster already pointed out)
* Easier to split up if you need to

Have a great trip! :-)

it could go either way. When my older kid turned nine, we went with the single. But, she was assuring me that she wanted to walk. It worked well, and she did catch a few rides in it when her younger brother who was 7 at the time walked.
It worked well. However, if your older kid is like my younger kid (less hardy and lazy) then go for the double.

Hi everyone, planning a trip for April and we're undecided about a stroller. Kids will be 9 and 7, but both are on the small side. I was all set not to rent a double for this trip as we have on our last 2 trips, but then I thought about back packs and water bottles and everything else. A single stroller won't work because I know they would argue over it. We haven't used a stroller at home for years, not since the youngest was walking and never used a double, it's only a Disney thing for us. When did you give up on a stroller? Did you regret going without one? Thanks!!!
We stopped when our girls were 8 & 9. The last stroller WDW trip we had with a single umbrella stroller was 5 & 7. The only thing I miss about the stroller is all the stuff it would hold for us but the backpack has solved that problem. It's a ton of walking and you know your kids best so go with your gut. If you're gonna rent at WDW, try winging it the first day, see how they do and assess from there. I wouldn't want to haul the double wide around all day unless it was necessary.

That's why God invented breaks. If the kids are tired out, head to the resort for a swim, to get something to eat, to take a nap. Let everyone refresh and then head out to a park again. No need to wearing anyone down so that they can't continue.

I can't see a 9 year old fitting in a rental stroller. We are almost going to max out ours with a 6 year old. The weight limit per side is around 50 lbs and their head would likely be bopping the canopy.

At those ages, I'd likely wing it, and just rent one from the parks if you find they are flagging.

We could not wait until the kids were old enough to walk and that I would not have to not bring a stroller. Yes, it nice to have a place to put all of your stuff but you just learn to not bring as much stuff and you are SOOOO much more mobile. The big question is how do they do with walking and what will happen if they get tired, do they expect to be carried? When we did it we said if they get tired we would take a break and just enjoy being in the parks but that was with the old paper Fast Passes so you could a ride anytime after the time on the ticket. With that being it could really mess up your plans of the kids could not get to your next destination before you FastPass time expired because they were tired and needed a break. So it's up to you but I can tell you I was never so happy as the first time we could go to the parks without any strollers! Not to mention not having to take the stroller on the bus!!!!

Our last trip we had 3 kids and just a double stroller, my oldest who was 7 at the time walked. He went all week without complaint and I think tallied something like 40 or 50 Miles by the time the trip was over. I think as long as you go their pace walking is doable by 7 without extenuating circumstances.

Edited to add: we did take afternoon breaks at the resort almost every day and I am sure that had a lot to do with his endurance. However we did balance that out with some very late nights too!

We took my 2.5 yo great nephew. We HATED dealing with the stroller. My niece actually left the stroller in the room and wore him all day one day. She wore him for short times even when we had the stroller. She is now pregnant with twins, and says we won't go again until the twins are 4 so she won't have to deal with the **** stroller. Who knows how many times I will go without her before then--one so far. The magic on his face was priceless, but the stroller was a real pain. Many here will disagree. They are entitled to their opinion. This was our family's opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!