Struggling with choices for new disability

KGmomoftwins

DIS Veteran
Hello trying to decide for an August trip 4n ahead of a 4n cruise. We’ve been 2x before in August although last one in 2019. Our girls will be turning 12 and dh has had some major health issues in the last year type 1 diabetes diagnosis and 2 back surgeries. We will be getting him a scooter even though he’s not crazy about it. We have a standard yacht club booked and our ta emailed Tuesday that she saved us a ton of money then I went down a rabbit hole and looked and for what we were paying before we can get a 1 bedroom at the boardwalk. Boardwalk inn has never been on my radar. It might be nice extra space for the scooter and to cook breakfast that is healthy for dh (he does have the omnipod pump but we go for low carb). I did have my heart set on storm along bay as arrival day we will get there by 10 am followed by 3park days no Ak this time. I also plan to go back to the hotel for lunches and a long midday break. So save 900 bucks or stick with YC or boardwalk. Which would by easiest for someone in a scooter and enjoyed by tween girls? Thank you

I'm confused with what room would you save the $900?

If going to BWV, saves the $900, I'd buy a few water park tickets.

If staying at YC, saves the $900, you could spend it on some healthier high protein snacks and /or meals for your husband.

I'm not sure what is in a normal room, we have had DVC for about 15 years.

Last edited:
Hello trying to decide for an August trip 4n ahead of a 4n cruise. We’ve been 2x before in August although last one in 2019. Our girls will be turning 12 and dh has had some major health issues in the last year type 1 diabetes diagnosis and 2 back surgeries. We will be getting him a scooter even though he’s not crazy about it. We have a standard yacht club booked and our ta emailed Tuesday that she saved us a ton of money then I went down a rabbit hole and looked and for what we were paying before we can get a 1 bedroom at the boardwalk. Boardwalk inn has never been on my radar. It might be nice extra space for the scooter and to cook breakfast that is healthy for dh (he does have the omnipod pump but we go for low carb). I did have my heart set on storm along bay as arrival day we will get there by 10 am followed by 3park days no Ak this time. I also plan to go back to the hotel for lunches and a long midday break. So save 900 bucks or stick with YC or boardwalk. Which would by easiest for someone in a scooter and enjoyed by tween girls? Thank you

I'm assuming you are referring to a 1-bedroom villa at Boardwalk Villas? If so, I would definitely switch! You will get, essentially, two rooms (bedroom and living room with beds), a full kitchen and washer/dryer (which would be great if you want to do laundry before your cruise!). I actually prefer the pool at BW as opposed to Stormalong Bay at YC/BC. Stormalong Bay is SO overrated, IMHO - it's sprawling and difficult to navigate. BW has one of the best slides on-property, IMHO. They also have a pretty nice menu at the pool bar (salads, sandwiches, drinks). If you are getting a 1-bedroom villas AND $900 savings, I would switch ASAP!

I'm confused with what room would you save the $900?

If going to BWV, saves the $900, I'd buy a few water park tickets.

If staying at YC, saves the $900, you could spend it on some healthier high protein snacks and /or meals for your husband.

I'm not sure what is in a normal room, we have had DVC for about 15 years.
yc is a standard room and 900 dollars cheaper.

Boardwalk would be for a 1 bedroom and cost 900 dollars more which was what we had originally budgeted for the trip

I'm assuming you are referring to a 1-bedroom villa at Boardwalk Villas? If so, I would definitely switch! You will get, essentially, two rooms (bedroom and living room with beds), a full kitchen and washer/dryer (which would be great if you want to do laundry before your cruise!). I actually prefer the pool at BW as opposed to Stormalong Bay at YC/BC. Stormalong Bay is SO overrated, IMHO - it's sprawling and difficult to navigate. BW has one of the best slides on-property, IMHO. They also have a pretty nice menu at the pool bar (salads, sandwiches, drinks). If you are getting a 1-bedroom villas AND $900 savings, I would switch ASAP!
Yes the 1 bedroom is what I’m looking at I know the washer and dryer would be nice

I would switch to the Boardwalk villa if I had this choice. You will appreciate the extra room and the couch for relaxing during those midday breaks. There are definitely benefits to having the full kitchen for preparing meals. Less stress about sticking to low carb meals for breakfast and lunch (if you do eat lunch in the room). You will save a little money eating some meals in the room to help make up for the extra cost of the villa. Grocery delivery is convenient and easy to do. I hope that you have a magical trip no matter what you decide!

If it's still within your original budget, I'd go to Boardwalk. We love BC/YC but BW is still one of our favourites. We usually go to one of the two quiet pools - which are really quiet. Sometimes there isn't anyone else there so it's very relaxing. Yes, SAB is lovely but it is really nice to have a pool practically to yourselves.

A 1-BR will give you so much more space and will be much easier to navigate with a scooter. And being able to do a couple of meals in the room will not only save you a bit of money but may make it easier to eat healthy and give you the flexibility to stay in the resort if you don't feel like going out for a big meal.

BW is also very close to HS for walking - if you're on the Villa side, it's about 10-15 minutes. Not such a big deal in the morning but when leaving, the lines for the boat can get very long and you can get back to your resort before the boat even comes. It's also not too far from Epcot. And if you check out where the exit doors are, you can cut across the front area of the BW to get to the lobby faster than going through the halls, which can put you closer to Epcot and to the coffee place in the BW lobby.

What about renting DVC points for the BWV 1BR? I'm a DVC member and I just peeked at 1BR availability at BWV. There 100% availability in a Garden/Pool view villa for the entire month of August. A 1BR goes for 35 points Sun-Thursday and 39 points on Fri/Sat.

I plugged August dates into a previous DVC Board Sponsor David's Vacation Club Rental website and got the following:

Sunday - Thursday or Monday-Friday = 140 points = $3220
Tuesday - Saturday or Saturday - Wednesday = 144 points = $3312
Wednesday - Sunday, Thursday - Monday, Friday - Tuesday = 153 points = $3404

It comes out to $23 per point and it is inclusive of taxes.

How does that compare to what your TA can do? Renting DVC points is often a lot cheaper.

yc is a standard room and 900 dollars cheaper.

Boardwalk would be for a 1 bedroom and cost 900 dollars more which was what we had originally budgeted for the trip

I'm sorry, I misunderstood regarding the price differential. I'm a little on the fence on this one now. I love 1-bedroom villas, but $900 for a 4 night stay is quite an increase. I do think you would be more comfortable in the 1-bedroom. If you are willing to pay more, I would do the BWV room.

What about renting DVC points for the BWV 1BR? I'm a DVC member and I just peeked at 1BR availability at BWV. There 100% availability in a Garden/Pool view villa for the entire month of August. A 1BR goes for 35 points Sun-Thursday and 39 points on Fri/Sat.

I plugged August dates into a previous DVC Board Sponsor David's Vacation Club Rental website and got the following:

Sunday - Thursday or Monday-Friday = 140 points = $3220
Tuesday - Saturday or Saturday - Wednesday = 144 points = $3312
Wednesday - Sunday, Thursday - Monday, Friday - Tuesday = 153 points = $3404

It comes out to $23 per point and it is inclusive of taxes.

How does that compare to what your TA can do? Renting DVC points is often a lot cheaper.

Her TA may not like that suggestion. :D

{shrug} Probably not.
Lol she’s a lovely person the third time we’ve used her. I just don’t know if dh would go for renting points he’s very anti time share and third party. I think I’m overthinking it to much because we have really fond memories of our girls from previous trips and he’s had such a rough year. It’s going to be our first trip since his diagnosis and I want it to be easy and fun for everyone

I responded to your other thread asking about the Murphy beds in the BWV 1BR, then I found this thread. Given your husband’s new diabetes diagnosis, I’d really recommend the 1BR. That will give you much more control over what you have for breakfast and snacks, maybe other meals too. I’m newly diagnosed with T2, and I find that having to eat all three meals at restaurants when traveling can be difficult to deal with. Also, the extra space in the 1BR for spreading out, not to mention some privacy for the two of you and for the girls, can be a benefit too.

Lol she’s a lovely person the third time we’ve used her. I just don’t know if dh would go for renting points he’s very anti time share and third party. I think I’m overthinking it to much because we have really fond memories of our girls from previous trips and he’s had such a rough year. It’s going to be our first trip since his diagnosis and I want it to be easy and fun for everyone
I'm sure she is wonderful! I use TAs for cruising because I get OBC, but for WDW I book on my own. I'm not sure exactly how much a TA can do for you at WDW over booking yourself especially since you're experienced.

For me, it's all about the money. If renting DVC points saves money and I was 100% sure I was going, I would do it in a heartbeat. FWIW, booking through a company like David's is fairly safe and there is NO requirement to do a timeshare tour. You will be treated exactly the same as if you rented from Disney except you will not have nightly maid service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter