Suggestions for a stroller large enough to fit a tall but slim 8 year old?

allysetraskos

Allyse Grant
My oldest anxiety has taken a turn for the worse... We were at a Carnival yesterday with the loud sounds and he had a complete meltdown I purchased noise cancelling headphones after talking to some of you on here but those didn't even help. We had to walk by a large music tent and I literally had to drag him while he screamed and cried (in addition to trying to push my 2 year old in a stroller.)
Now my son is 8 but very tall he looks like he could be 9... But very slim.
I tried to see if he would fit in the stroller but he is too tall, anyone have a good brand in mind so I can look into renting?

I can't help with the stroller, but you should know that noise cancelling headphones do NOT block all outside sound, despite what many people think. You need noise blocking headphones or even try earmuffs like those made by Peltor (check them out on Amazon).

Are you looking for a double-stroller that will accommodate both the 8-yr-old and the little one? Or just a stroller for the older child? I'm not particularly familiar with double strollers, though I have read recommendations of the Citi Mini GT fitting taller kids. But it's still a regular "baby" stroller so an 8-yr-old may not fit.

When our DD got too big for regular strollers, we researched and ended up purchasing a Maclaren Major Elite which she's used for several years. I believe it holds up to 110 or 115 lbs. It's basically a larger-sized umbrella stroller, though it has various accessories that can be added for more needs. I'm not aware of any rentals for this stroller, though.

I agree with PP -- look into Peltor earmuffs (or Peltor Jr if that's the right size).

Enjoy your vacation!

He sounds like my son. We rented a BOB the last time, because he was well under the 70 lb weight limit. It says "up to 48" " but my son was quite happy to "fit" into it at about 50". Another option that he liked was renting the strollers actually at Disney. They can be more expensive, but they are bigger. My son had no issue fitting in a single, but the double is a wide bench, not separated like most doubles, so there is more room to bend there too.

My oldest anxiety has taken a turn for the worse... We were at a Carnival yesterday with the loud sounds and he had a complete meltdown I purchased noise cancelling headphones after talking to some of you on here but those didn't even help. We had to walk by a large music tent and I literally had to drag him while he screamed and cried (in addition to trying to push my 2 year old in a stroller.)
Now my son is 8 but very tall he looks like he could be 9... But very slim.
I tried to see if he would fit in the stroller but he is too tall, anyone have a good brand in mind so I can look into renting?

I'm trying to figure out how the stroller will help him with noises - especially at WDW, where there is noise everywhere! I guess it helps contain him, if he stays in it willingly, but he's still going to get anxious about the noises, isn't he? Would being strapped into a stroller make him feel less in control of things?

I'm trying to figure out how the stroller will help him with noises - especially at WDW, where there is noise everywhere! I guess it helps contain him, if he stays in it willingly, but he's still going to get anxious about the noises, isn't he? Would being strapped into a stroller make him feel less in control of things?
I know with my son he likes to have his own space. It calms him and isn't as distracted. That's why "real" strollers are so much better than special needs ones. "Real" ones usually have a pull down sunscreen or deeper sides. Makes it easier to hide from the rest of the world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter