Suggestions for traveling with a 5 month old

tlb916

Earning My Ears
We are traveling to WDW with our 14 year old, 4 year old and 5 month old, in may. I am considering shipping extras like diapers etc down ahead of time to our resort, but I will need to make a super market run to get perishables. We can't decide if we should rent a car from the airport and stop on the way or take a cab from Disney to get these things, we have a kitchenette in the room , we wanted to get cereal milk etc.

If we rent a car from the airport I am guessing we will have return the car to the airport then take a cab back anyway, or is there a place to drop off a rental car near wdw. Also Any adivice about cab use? I figure the cost would be about the same as a rental vehicle, But are they readily availble outside of disney world for return trip?

I am also not sure about car seats, We are not using one on the airplane, but can check it through. It seems a hassel to to drag it down for the ride to and from the airport but I want them safe, 5 month old will defintely be out ot the carrier style infant seat by then so we wil need to take the full size. 4 year old uses a booster. I have seen the bags you put them in for travel. Any advice here?

thank you

WDW has a onsite car rental. I think it is either Alamo or National. You could rent from the airport and return at WDW.
With the car seat I personally would bring my own. Last year in May we rented one from the car rental agency. We regreted it, the car seat was disquisting. On this next trip I need to bring two. (slight pain but worth it in the end) I have a newborn and a toddler.

I will be bringing my then nearly 10month old DD to WDW in May. We are definitely bringing our own car seat. I don't know how big your child is, but our DD still fits into her carrier seat just fine and she's 8 months right now. Our doctor even told us that it's ok to keep her in this until she is a year old. But depending on how big your seat is, it could be different for you. Ours is one that's part of a Graco travel system stroller.

The last time DH and I were in WDW, we didn't have a rental car and sometimes took cabs. They can get expensive! You should check out www.mousesavers.com, they have some great rates for rental cars. I think dollar rental car currently has a good rate on a minivan, perfect for your size family. If you do decide to use cabs, they are readily available if I remember correctly, near the bus stop area. I personally think it'll be more convenient for you to use a rental car and bring along the car seat because safety is most important. And lugging a car seat into and out of a cab is not easy.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

I would rent a car...even if its just for a day to get there. Use your own car seats. Stop on the way to the resort and go shopping. Try using the Publix (grocery store) in Kissimmee on 192. Its cheaper. There is also a walmart near there. It might take you an extra 15 - 20 mins out of your way...but its worth in IMO. You can get all of the xtras you need there. Of course if you are staying in WDW than there is always Goodings in the crossroads, but I think they are really expensive.

Tracy

Thanks LUVINIT for the grocery store direction threadf...ya saved me a whole lot of typing!!! :)

tlb916 I vote for a rental car and your own car seat too.

I am considering shipping extras like diapers etc down ahead of time to our resort,

The shipping will likely cost you more than a one day car rental. Alamo/National have merged and are on site near the MK. But there are outlets of other brands in many of the hotels near DTD. I think I paid $17 for a car for one day from Dollar last year, but it was returned to the airport. You might pay a little extra to return in near WDW, but it will be worth it.

I am also not sure about car seats, We are not using one on the airplane, but can check it through.

I don't want to get preachy here, but please reconsider your decision not to put your baby in a carseat on the plane. I'm on a plane 2-3x per week, and I have seen babies almost torn from their parents arms in turbulence. Also, it is often a lot easier to get a baby to settle in the car seat. I am assuming you did not buy a seat for her, so here is what you do: First, when you check in for your flight or choose your seats, split up your group so you have a window and your older child has an aisle, then do the same for your 4 yo and DH. Then ask if the airline would consider "Soft-blocking" one of the middle seats for you. If they do that, they will not assign it until last. Then you tell them that you are going to gate check your seat. That lets you bring it to the gate. When are at the gate, ask the gate agent if the middle seat is still open. Ask again just before boarding. If it is still open, you will be ok to take your seat on board. If the seat got taken, then you tell them to gate check your car seat. You take it to the end of the ramp and leave it there and it will be brought out to you at your destination, just like a stroller. That way, no need to check it or put it in a bag. Go ahead and check the booster, though. Most are not approved for use in aircraft.

If you knew all this already, tell me I am a big ole busy body and to mind my p's & q's!! :D

Hope it helps though.

We went to WDW with a 5 month old last May. We drove, so we didn't have to worry about shipping diapers and stuff down, but when we flew for our November trip (DD was 11 mo. old), we used Netgrocer to purchase these things and had it shipped to the resort.

As far as perishables go, you will be able to find milk, juice and stuff in the shop at your resort (if you're staying on site - I didn't catch that in your post). The prices are slightly inflated, but I feel it is worth paying a little extra for the convenience.

My DD was in her infant carrier until she was 11 months old (I guess she's on the small side). You never know how quickly these kids will grow.

Even if you're not getting your 5 mo. old a seat on the plane, I would definitely check the carseat, because you will need it even for the short ride to the resort and back to the airport. When we went last week with my DD (now 16 months), we had a seat for her on the plane, and we installed the carseat on the plane, in the towncar, and did the same for the trip home. Her safety was worth the extra effort.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter