Sunscreen for your scalp?

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever used Banana Boat Hair and Scalp Protector sunscreen spray ? Does it make your hair goey?

DH is balding in a way that lots of scalp is visible through his hair but there is enough hair there that it would make the hair pretty gross if we were to rub sunscreen on his scalp under the hair. He generally wears a "safari" type hat(complete with Disney pins) when we're out in the sun, baseball hats just look dorky on him, he's a pretty big guy. On our next cruise we have a few snorkeling excursions planned and his big hat won't be appropriate. I worry about him getting a bad burn.

Anyway, I bought this stuff which is supposed to protect your scalp and also protect the hair itself(which he really doesn't care about) but I wondered if anyone has tried this before and if it was cool stuff or what. It's only SPF 15 so it's not gonna be an awful lot of protection but I figure it's better than nothing.

So, your opinions please? Anybody used this?

My daughter is 16 and she has been using it while she is at field hockey practice. It really does not "gunk" up her hair at all. Trust me if a teenage girl does not have a problem with the way it makes her hair feel your husband will be fine.

My Dh has used that product for about 5 years. He has a receding hair line and thinning hair on top. He sprays it down his part and on the crown of his head. He said it goes on wet like water and when it dries it isn't stiff like hair spray. Is not goey at all.
Most of the time he does not get his head wet so he only sprays his head about every 2 hours as needed. If your husband is a swimmer he may need to spray more often.
One year while vacationing in South Padre Island Texas he sprayed his head a few times and put lotion on his body a few times. That night his back and chest was red like a lobster BUT his head was just fine.

Thanks for the positive responses!

Do you have to rub it in? Or can you just spray it on and leave it alone? The bottle says to comb through your hair but we're not really looking for hair protection, just scalp protection.

I wish it were available in a higher SPF!

dh said he just sprays it so it soaks the area he is trying to protect and then he lightly rubs it in with his finger tips. (couple seconds) If your Dh hair is as thin as my dh it should work out fine. He does not comb the spray through his hair but you can comb your hair if you want. It will be wet when you first spray but will dry and you can't tell that you have anything in your hair.
We worried about the spf at first but found out the product works great.

I bought it at Kmart! I personally never shop at Kmart but they had a good deal on an American Tourister suitcase set so I was checking that out and just happened accross this stuff. It was a little pricey($6.99) but it's a pretty big bottle. Does this stuff last from year to year? I hope it doesn't expire by next summer.

By the way the American Tourister luggage set was $99.99 for 3 wheeled uprights, a tote, and a toiletries bag. It's not their top of the line stuff but quite good quality for the price....just in case anyone was in the market for new luggage I thought I would throw that out there.

We bought ours at wal-mart. I have seen it walgreens ,drug town and kmart. Can't remember how much we paid but at the time I thought it was a little expensive. Turned out to be worth every penny. Our whole family uses it. Our son always has a summer buzz so we spray his whole head and I use it on my and our Ddaughters part line.

Yes! My hair-challenged DH has used this for years! (Of course, a cap is the best defense...)

I use it too - in my part area. Just spray it there and kind of rub it in.

It doesn't gunk up your hair at all.

Sunscreen should also be recommended for all of the girls who get their hair braided. My wife made sure to apply it on our daughter's scalp after getting her hair done.

If you cannot find the Banana Boat stuff, we have been using Bullfrog Quick Spray Gel for the past 2 years. DS has light brown/blondish hair, cut in a buzz, and we spray his head with the stuff. I use it on my part, as well as the rest of our bodies. SPF 36, dries really quickly. I am about as fair skinned as they come, and this stuff is AWESOME.

Redken also has products for hair and scalp protection---a light spray with a built in conditioner -- not stiff or icky -- I've used it for years

Originally posted by DisneyDadInFL
Sunscreen should also be recommended for all of the girls who get their hair braided. My wife made sure to apply it on our daughter's scalp after getting her hair done.

We did this last year but just rubbed regular sunscreen in between the rows.

This stuff can supposedly go on and in your hair as well as just your scalp. Lots of folks seem to think it's pretty good so we'll be trying it in 3 weeks. I'll let you all know what we think!

If you have Ulta Cosmetics near you, they have a nice spray sunscreen for scalp that is not at all smelly or sticky. It's in the aisle with the traditional sunscreen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter