Supposedly you know your hairdresser.....

Dont get me wrong but just the headline " hairdresser EXPOSES...." is just a headline to clickbait. I am sure there are many other businesses where workers are tested positive while working and potentially expose people but you dont see these headlines.

My question is what is the news story? A hairdresser worked while "showing Symptoms" . Maybe the fact they were working while "sick". but how sick.. A minor cough... for many this is borderline asympomatic... I have been coughing for weeks,, allergies.... This is not new news.. this is why the virus is NOT the flu and we need to take it more serious, but for me the real news would be "hairdresser begins viral chain of xxx people". So let's wait and see who else tests positive before creating a big news story.

I hope this is a business that goes by reservation with name only or this state requires each customer to give their contact data.. Contact tracing is how we keep business open and still keep this virus contained. Health department needs to now break that chain via contact tracing each customer and requiring them to quarentine or better yet (shock) test them..

And the even better new story would be to wait a week or so and have a hopefully positive newstory like:
" New safety measure in hair salons are working".... a hairdresser worked for one week before testing postive. Of the 160 customers she had personal contact with, only xxx or none were found to catch this virus....

Or we find out masks, etc do not work.. I really hope the health department usese this case to test and gather data and review the new health policies... especially as they had symtoms... I believe then the viral loud to spread is higher.. So did the masks, if they wore them, help?? now that is the story.. Not about people being idiots or their bosses being arsches for maybe forcing them to work...
We can only learn from this.

I really have to say I am rather befuddled that this is the issue people are choosing to rally behind.

The outrage in Michigan was focused on no boating, landscaping, and garden supply sales in big box stores (in the snow when no one was doing those activities anyway but they had to get worked up over it) and now that those restrictions have been lifted it is haircuts everyone is all up in arms over. Operation Haircut on the capitol lawn was interesting. Trying to prove they could safely cut hair while most weren't wearing masks and there wasn't any sanitizing equipment that I could see.

Why can't you get your haircut? This story is why.

It is very likely there was no "employer" on site to send them home. Every chain salon I have been to is individuals who rent a station and are paid by the cut. It would be up to them to call in and say I am sick I am not coming in. They, in the end, made the choice to work. Not saying that the owner, if they had knowledge of them working ill, shouldn't also be held accountable.

I'm pretty sure I read this was at Great Clips, which is where we used to get our hair cut. Usually there are only two stylists at ours, and I've never seen anyone there who isn't a stylist. So no managers around.

I think there will be a huge spike in cases next Saturday or Sunday because of this weekend. We've been careful in our house and haven't been around any people.

I also think it's a lot harder to get COVID tests than folks think. My best friend's son (age 6) spiked a 102 fever last week. She took him to the pediatrician and asked repeatedly for a COVID test, but the pediatrician wouldn't give him one. He got strep and flu tests instead, and she was told to come back in 3 days if he was still exhibiting symptoms. I told her I was betting the office didn't want to have to report a COVID test to the state reporting agency, so it's easier to put it off to see if he gets worse. :( Thank goodness he didn't.

I'm pretty sure I read this was at Great Clips, which is where we used to get our hair cut. Usually there are only two stylists at ours, and I've never seen anyone there who isn't a stylist. So no managers around.

That is my experience with chains (Supercuts & Fantastic Sams) too.

I also think it's a lot harder to get COVID tests than folks think. My best friend's son (age 6) spiked a 102 fever last week. She took him to the pediatrician and asked repeatedly for a COVID test, but the pediatrician wouldn't give him one. He got strep and flu tests instead, and she was told to come back in 3 days if he was still exhibiting symptoms. I told her I was betting the office didn't want to have to report a COVID test to the state reporting agency, so it's easier to put it off to see if he gets worse. :( Thank goodness he didn't.

It should be getting easier but I guess it depends on your state. I live in Northern VA and in the last 2 weeks you can pretty much go to most Urgent Care facilities and get one. The state also has set up several drive up locations at church parking lots, high schools, etc and the turnout has been really good.

Now, my weekend story. My son and his roommates (and a few others) decided to rent a beach condo in the Outer Banks this weekend. The people he rented with are all well known to him and have been at home teleworking through all this and only going to grocery stores or doing carryout.

My son comes over Friday morning to bring me his dog and tells me that he *thought* he had a fever in the night but it seemed "fine" in the morning but he did have some body aches. No other symptoms. He then proceeded to go on his trip and wake up in the middle of the night Friday and had a 101 degree temp. He freaked out. So he went to an Urgent Care in the Outer Banks and they examined him and gave him a test (along with a flu test). He got a call yesterday from the health department just checking on him. Said they were going to call him every day until the test came back. He got his call today from the Health Dept and the test was negative!! So glad. If it had been positive they had given him a packet to fill out so they could do contact tracing. But anyway, the testing seems to be pretty easy to get. Maybe it's harder for a child, I don't know.

Another testing story (locally). My coworker's wife has some fairly serious GI issues and had a telemedicine appointment with her GP. They had her come in the next day for some bloodwork and they overnight ordered a COVID test because they don't keep them on hand. She showed up for the bloodwork and the test never came in so she didn't have it done.

I guess regular GP offices aren't carrying the tests and you have to go to designated testing centers. Possibly another reason the 6 year old couldn't get the test at the pediatrician's office.

I think there will be a huge spike in cases next Saturday or Sunday because of this weekend. We've been careful in our house and haven't been around any people.

What would their motivation be for that?

Dont get me wrong but just the headline " hairdresser EXPOSES...." is just a headline to clickbait. I am sure there are many other businesses where workers are tested positive while working and potentially expose people but you dont see these headlines.

My question is what is the news story? A hairdresser worked while "showing Symptoms" . Maybe the fact they were working while "sick". but how sick.. A minor cough... for many this is borderline asympomatic... I have been coughing for weeks,, allergies.... This is not new news.. this is why the virus is NOT the flu and we need to take it more serious, but for me the real news would be "hairdresser begins viral chain of xxx people". So let's wait and see who else tests positive before creating a big news story.

I hope this is a business that goes by reservation with name only or this state requires each customer to give their contact data.. Contact tracing is how we keep business open and still keep this virus contained. Health department needs to now break that chain via contact tracing each customer and requiring them to quarentine or better yet (shock) test them..

And the even better new story would be to wait a week or so and have a hopefully positive newstory like:
" New safety measure in hair salons are working".... a hairdresser worked for one week before testing postive. Of the 160 customers she had personal contact with, only xxx or none were found to catch this virus....

Or we find out masks, etc do not work.. I really hope the health department usese this case to test and gather data and review the new health policies... especially as they had symtoms... I believe then the viral loud to spread is higher.. So did the masks, if they wore them, help?? now that is the story.. Not about people being idiots or their bosses being arsches for maybe forcing them to work...
We can only learn from this.
How does this differ from the nurse shaming headlines of last weekend?

My opinion - if she had symptoms consistent with COVID she should have stayed home.
Except literally any virus has those symptoms, and fever isn’t even an indicator of positive for covid either, and you need a fever over 100.4. If we have to stay home for every single sniffle or cough then there will be literally no one working ever. And allergies/mold etc are terrible this year here with all the rain we’ve had this spring.
I have been coughing for weeks,, allergies.... This is not new news.. this is why the virus is NOT the flu and we need to take it more serious, but for me the real news would be "hairdresser begins viral chain of xxx people". So let's wait and see who else tests positive before creating a big news story.
yes this!
Ah you mean no hysterical fear inducing clickbait headline?:scared1: However could the news survive by reporting facts without spin? /s

I’ve been searching for follow up on the contact tracing and follow up tests but with holiday weekend may be a few days.
Of course that Dr Fair who swears he’s CV19 positive and got it through his eyes on a crowded flight in spite of FOUR negative tests-never heard of any follow up or any contact tracing to anyone else on that flight either (oh and the good doctor went out to the grocery store too)...and still pronouncing himself as recovering from CV19...why hasn’t anyone else on that flight come forward?

How does this differ from the nurse shaming headlines of last weekend?
The nurse story as a “story” was pretty clear cut. Person in close contact with Hospital patients broke state lock-down to cross border and go to a bar, not wearing a mask. Irony is this person is a health care professional and was not wearing a mask in a crowded, indoor facility.

this story IMO from a journalist / reporting view Is incomplete. So if we know they were positive and had symptoms. What happened? How many are positive or not? If none are positive then another “study” that shows mask( if worn- not sure ??) work.

The nurse story as a “story” was pretty clear cut. Person in close contact with Hospital patients broke state lock-down to cross border and go to a bar, not wearing a mask. Irony is this person is a health care professional and was not wearing a mask in a crowded, indoor facility.

this story IMO from a journalist / reporting view Is incomplete. So if we know they were positive and had symptoms. What happened? How many are positive or not? If none are positive then another “study” that shows mask( if worn- not sure ??) work.

I don't think the contact tracing is back yet. It hasn't been long enough but another or week or two should be enough to complete the story.

It is very likely there was no "employer" on site to send them home. Every chain salon I have been to is individuals who rent a station and are paid by the cut. It would be up to them to call in and say I am sick I am not coming in. They, in the end, made the choice to work. Not saying that the owner, if they had knowledge of them working ill, shouldn't also be held accountable.
So far the owner has offered thoughts and prayers to the customers affected, bashed the media for even reporting the incident, and played the sympathy card for the real victim in all of this. The owner.

Ah you mean no hysterical fear inducing clickbait headline?:scared1: However could the news survive by reporting facts without spin? /s

The headline of the OP's link says second stylist at same salon tests positive. That's not spin. That's a fact. The headline goes on to say nearly 140 exposed. I'd add potentially in there but I'm not going to quibble over that. Still, that's also a fact. And in fact, I could think of several ways to make it a ton more click bait not the least of which would be CUSTOMERS ALREADY TESTING POSITIVE!!! Also a fact.

It would be great news and very reassuring if none of the clients tested positive. Hope the follow-up is posted in the media.

It would be great news and very reassuring if none of the clients tested positive. Hope the follow-up is posted in the media.

If not there, surely the state health department will report on it on their site. The media got this story directly from the health department site for Missouri.

The headline of the OP's link says second stylist at same salon tests positive. That's not spin. That's a fact. The headline goes on to say nearly 140 exposed. I'd add potentially in there but I'm not going to quibble over that. Still, that's also a fact. And in fact, I could think of several ways to make it a ton more click bait not the least of which would be CUSTOMERS ALREADY TESTING POSITIVE!!! Also a fact.

Headlines seemed accurate to me also.

Nurse was helping her sister, was and remained asymptomatic, didn't work with Covid patients, and had a momentary lapse in judgement, perhaps, on one night. (IMO; others may feel differently.) It would be interesting, as you say, to know as follow up to see if the nurse became sick or infected any others.

As opposed to the hairdresser who went to work knowingly sick over many days and infected hundreds of people.

Yet hairdresser headlines are click-bait but nurse headlines were not.

What would their motivation be for that?

My guess is to save them the trouble of shutting down the office and completely decontaminating it because of a possible COVID case. I can't think of another reason why they wouldn't give it when a child was displaying some of the symptoms.

Unless they just didn't have any to give, in which case I'd think the physician would send them to another location that had the tests.

My guess is to save them the trouble of shutting down the office and completely decontaminating it because of a possible COVID case. I can't think of another reason why they wouldn't give it when a child was displaying some of the symptoms.

Unless they just didn't have any to give, in which case I'd think the physician would send them to another location that had the tests.
I don't know about this office, but I know in some places, including the hospital where I work, there are very strict criteria for getting tested. I know it is not this way everywhere from what I have read here. I don't know where this office is or what their policies are. But my guess would be that the child didn't meet their criteria for testing for whatever reason. I just doubt that any physician worth their salt would not test for any other reason. Of course, I could be wrong. But it doesn't make sense. Offices are being cleaned really well regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter