SW - Moving from Wanna Getaway to Business Select

FreeTime

DIS Veteran
If finally happened to us on a flight from Vegas to Columbus today. We purchased EBCI when we bought the tix in early January. Our boarding numbers were C19-21 and C24. I ended up paying the $50 pp to get A1-15. We don’t need to sit together but all like aisle seats.

I priced future flights and assumed I would buy EBCI and then if I had a terrible number would probably end up buying the priority at the gate, when available. The difference in fair when considering the extra costs of EBCI and $40+ for priority, round trip, is about a $200 difference.

So the question is, has anyone stopped buying EBCI and paid for BS upfront to not have to worry whether it is available at the gate? I am starting to get a bit tired of the wait and see what position I will get game.

No judging about saying I’m crazy to pay more when I don’t have to please. :)

Do whatever works for you. My SIL does this, but her paid travel is generally for work. And she uses SW enough for work that her fun travel is free. But she and my brother are picky, so I bet they'd pay for not worrying about boarding position for leisure travel, too.

I agree do whatever works for you. If those aisle seats are that important then book the higher fare up front....or fly another carrier that you can pre book your seats. I've just paid a little more to fly SW because I like to travel with them and also so that I can earn the RR. I figured that I'm spending the money on a flight anyway so the extra $100 was worth the RR, my happiness and a flight time that worked well for me.

Last edited:

OP, you're the first person I've seen post here that got C seats with EBCI. To me, it's very unusual.
I agree that it's highly unusual.

Many people do not realize that if a booking is "changed," your EBCI place in line will be moved. So, if you originally purchased your ticket in January for a July flight, but in June you were able to refare for a cost reduction, the system recognizes your purchase as being made in June, not January, therefore, losing your original place for EBCI.

EBCI order is based on date of purchase, but subject to reservation modifications due to "changes," whether it be refaring, date, or flight.

Well, if you're crazy, I'm way past certifiable!!! I had a SW flight a few years ago, and had paid for EBCI. I got A32, not a bad spot at all. But, I was exhausted, and feeling really crappy. So, I paid the addtl $40 to upgrade to the A1-15 group. The gate agent thought I was nuts!!! But, I got A2, and was able to get the exit row seat I wanted, with no kids being able to be behind me, kicking my seat, and I could stretch out and sleep against the window!!! But, I usually don't do that!!!!

No judging from me... I have paid more in advance to get better seats, though not on Southwest. We always buy early boarding on Southwest. I have gotten Bxx with EBCI on Southwest, saw many families enter the plane after the A's but still got my aisle seat. If I had gotten a Cxx I would have spent the $50 to get the A1-15.

I will pay a few extra $$ to ease the stress of flying.

Well, if you're crazy, I'm way past certifiable!!! I had a SW flight a few years ago, and had paid for EBCI. I got A32, not a bad spot at all. But, I was exhausted, and feeling really crappy. So, I paid the addtl $40 to upgrade to the A1-15 group. The gate agent thought I was nuts!!! But, I got A2, and was able to get the exit row seat I wanted, with no kids being able to be behind me, kicking my seat, and I could stretch out and sleep against the window!!! But, I usually don't do that!!!!
Ohhhh…..I'm with you on that one. I've had the pleasure of a child kicking my seat for an entire 2.5 hour flight....even after I very nicely got up and asked the mom to not allow it.

I have not once bought ECBI. Always have checked in at 24 hours. On full flights the worst I've gotten is around B30 which is no problem for finding overhead storage and seats together. Often I'll get high A's, A40-A50.

We did purchase priority seating A1-A15 once at the gate. The flight ended up being cancelled due to flurries. Had to stay the night and rebook a morning flight. SW will not transfer the priority seating to the new flight and instead I had to call customer service and request a refund. I never did get the $'s refunded after numerous phone calls, being on hold for 30 minutes+ each time, transferred all around etc. They told me they would but I never was able to get to talk to someone who could actually get it done!

I agree that it's highly unusual.

Many people do not realize that if a booking is "changed," your EBCI place in line will be moved. So, if you originally purchased your ticket in January for a July flight, but in June you were able to refare for a cost reduction, the system recognizes your purchase as being made in June, not January, therefore, losing your original place for EBCI.

EBCI order is based on date of purchase, but subject to reservation modifications due to "changes," whether it be refaring, date, or flight.

It unfortunately wasn’t changed. I have changed ones in the past that were impacted.

I have not once bought ECBI. Always have checked in at 24 hours. On full flights the worst I've gotten is around B30 which is no problem for finding overhead storage and seats together. Often I'll get high A's, A40-A50.

We did purchase priority seating A1-A15 once at the gate. The flight ended up being cancelled due to flurries. Had to stay the night and rebook a morning flight. SW will not transfer the priority seating to the new flight and instead I had to call customer service and request a refund. I never did get the $'s refunded after numerous phone calls, being on hold for 30 minutes+ each time, transferred all around etc. They told me they would but I never was able to get to talk to someone who could actually get it done!

When I have had issues in the past they have been difficult to get resolved via phone. Using the contact is form on the site usually gets a resolution in 24 hours.

Then I guess we are certifiable together. My co-workers think I am crazy. Work always buys WGA fares and will not buy EBCI and will not give us our flight info until just before the travel so we are not able to purchase ourselves. Our last work flight I had in the low B’s and bought A1-15. I was deplaned, to the car lot, and on the road before I got a text from those with me in the back of the plane saying they were finally off. Of course they said they got paid a few minutes longer

I used to buy EBCI all the time and then paid for the upgrade at the gate for my husband. He is tall and likes the exit row. I stopped buying the EBCI, and now just buy him the upgrade and he saves me a seat. I do check in right at 24 hours and have always boarded in the A group.

I used to buy EBCI all the time and then paid for the upgrade at the gate for my husband. He is tall and likes the exit row. I stopped buying the EBCI, and now just buy him the upgrade and he saves me a seat. I do check in right at 24 hours and have always boarded in the A group.

I will not hesitate to take a "saved seat" in the exit row when boarding.

And I always buy EBCI and sometimes have gotten a B spot. You just never know.
I will not hesitate to take a "saved seat" in the exit row when boarding.
Same here.

Well, I have been very lucky in my flights from BNA to MCO in that no one has wanted to sit I my saved seat! I I have a higher number, A31 or higher I will buy a 1-15 seat, but most times I don't. My husband usually sits where the flight attendants stand and I have never had an issue. We only fly SW to MCO or FLL when we cruise, and so far have been very lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts