Swapping QS Drink for side or dessert

FriendoftheHatter

Earning My Ears
I'm sure this has been asked before but i'm hoping for recent reports. I bring a reusable water bottle to the parks that I refill as needed with free water from QS locations so I very rarely use the drink that comes with QS meals on the QSDP. I've heard that it's possible to swap your drink entitlement for a side or dessert at some locations.

I'm sure this depends on which cast member you get and which restaurant you're at like most dining plan substitutions, but has anyone been able to make a swap like this recently? Is there more luck some places than others?

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure this has been asked before but i'm hoping for recent reports. I bring a reusable water bottle to the parks that I refill as needed with free water from QS locations so I very rarely use the drink that comes with QS meals on the QSDP. I've heard that it's possible to swap your drink entitlement for a side or dessert at some locations.

I'm sure this depends on which cast member you get and which restaurant you're at like most dining plan substitutions, but has anyone been able to make a swap like this recently? Is there more luck some places than others?

Thanks in advance!

We haven't seen reports of this being allowed in the parks for months now. There are numerous reports of doing it at the resort, but not the parks. The wording that allowed it last year was taken off the brochure, and it seems as soon as it disappeared, the CMs in the parks quit doing it.

Still, I would ask at every place I eat, because you never know.

I think the difference is how the POS is used... In parks, you order (sent to kitchen), pay, then get your food. In resorts you tend to order, get your food, then pay. They perhaps have more leeway with input this way. I have worked in QS dining at WDW and the kitchen would be crazy with phantom orders or substitutions. Whereas, if you have your food already, the CM can charge as necessary, or possibly make an exception like this.

We were encouraged to do this at our resort food court. Since we had refillable mugs, the CM told us to get dessert before we went through the line. But I'm not sure about the parks.

I think in mid 2017 when they increased the price they changed the wording or at least what I gather from reading..
However on the DVC dining plane which is contracted by year so our price did not increase in mid 2017 the wording still exists that you can swap a drink for a side (anything with a snack credit) at any location. The ability to do this must still exist weather or not they will allow it??? I did print out the DVC guide and of course we always have our DVC cards these days... so if we were to swap the drink and they said no I can show them it is allowed.... But we would only do this at the resorts anyway as we need a drink in the parks --I know I can get free water but I would rather have something else.

I think in mid 2017 when they increased the price they changed the wording or at least what I gather from reading..
However on the DVC dining plane which is contracted by year so our price did not increase in mid 2017 the wording still exists that you can swap a drink for a side (anything with a snack credit) at any location. The ability to do this must still exist weather or not they will allow it??? I did print out the DVC guide and of course we always have our DVC cards these days... so if we were to swap the drink and they said no I can show them it is allowed.... But we would only do this at the resorts anyway as we need a drink in the parks --I know I can get free water but I would rather have something else.

The wording disappeared from the brochure when they took the dessert away from QS and added the extra snack at the BEGINNING of the year. The DVC site just hasn't updated it.

I would certainly give it a try, but I don't hold out much hope for you anywhere in the parks. There is also some wording somewhere that says something to the effect of "subject to change."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter