Swimming in ocean by San Diego in April?

iadreamer

Earning My Ears
We are considering a family vacation to San Diego late winter or early spring and was wondering if we would be able to swim in the ocean in April without wetsuits? Children are 7 and 5.

It depends on what you mean by "swimming." If you mean fully immersing yourself in the water and doing laps, probably not. If you mean the kids, in swimsuits, playing in knee-deep water, being chased by the small waves and building sandcastles, then yes. If you're coming from Iowa, it will seem very nice.

Regardless, wear the swimsuits to the beach even if you think the kids won't want to get in the water. Because if you don't, they'll likely get wet anyway, with clothes on!

I was at the Hotel Del Coronado in January a couple years ago on a rainy weekend and sure enough, there were teens in the water.

PHXscuba

I agree with PPs. The water here along California is never very warm, even in the summer. I personally am too much of a wimp to do more than put my feet in but there are always people wading around and playing in it.

We were at the Hotel Del Coronado in late May/early June and the water temps were in the low 60's. Cold but we got use to it after being in there for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter