Switch to Studio for checkout day evening flight?

Sepo

11-3-2016 12:47 a.m.
Was just reading a litttle about the lounge woes with temporary closure and lines for the shower potentially etc.

We are in a 2BR for 5 nights before a late evening flight, staying on points. Had originally planned to make it a resort day and use their lounge etc. till the early evening. But now considering a cockamamie plan of grabbing a studio that morning. Has anyone ever switched rooms on the last morning to then leave that night? Is this nuts. I wouldn’t mind spending the points for peace of mind and the location could be anywhere. Biggest issue is the risk of it totaling backfiring if I cannot swing an early check in to make a smooth transition from one room to the other.

Any thoughts, experiences?

If you are flexible they could probably get you in early

I think it will depend on when you are staying at Aulani and what time your flight is. Obviously if you are there when they are on the busier side then the odds of you getting the room before mid afternoon go down. You need to consider the time you will be leaving for the airport too. I we have a 10 pm flight we leave Aulani by 6:30 because you need to factor in traffic. Then we usually grab dinner closer to the airport, get gas, return the rental car, get through security etc. Idk if it would be worth it to me to spend the money for what might be just a few hours, especially if you check out in the morning and then have to wait to check back in till mid afternoon.

I would perhaps mention to front desk why you booked the room and they might just try to get you moved over immediately.

It would be a waste to me. In my own experience, I have found that DVC rooms often are not ready as early as standard rooms. I assume this is because more goes into cleaning them. So you do run a pretty high risk of the room not being ready until 4pm. Especially if its a big checkin/checkout day like a weekend. Also, not sure how many in your travel party, but I don't think you'd be permitted to book a studio if it exceeds the room capacity.

I know Aulani will sometimes allow a complimentary late check-out, or a paid late check-out until 3pm. We were quoted $150 to keep our studio until 3pm - not sure if the cost varies depending on room type or how busy they are. Late check-outs are also based on occupancy, so they may not be offered at all. But if you're interested in this, ask at the start of your trip because they only allow so many.

This may not be an option if you have kids with you, but have you considered booking a spa treatment on your last day? Spa guests have full use of the locker room facilities for the entire day of the treatment - before and after. You can also leave and return later just to use the facilities as well. It would also give you access to the hydrotherapy gardens all day, and its a nice way to end your trip relaxing in preparation of the trip home.

Last edited:

Thanks all. Yes family of 5. I’ll probably cross my fingers to come off the waitlist to try to add a direct day to the original reservation.

Appreciate all the input.

Considering the studio may not be ready until 4pm, and we also like to allow ample time to get to the airport, return rental car, then have a bite to eat before the flight (not much since first class serves dinner), that’s a bit of a hassle for just a couple hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter