Syringes - Suitcase or CarryOn

Chuck-PA

DIS Veteran
I have MS and I need to take a daily medicine via a syringe.

Should I pack them in my carryon in case luggage gets lost or due to safety reasons should they be packed in my suitcase that I check in with?

I know I have seen this question asked here before, but I cannot seem to find it! I know it said something about needing documentation from the physician, but what documentation is "official" I do not know.
I am sure someone here can answer you. My kids will be traveling with syringes also, but we will be driving (unless there is a drastic change in our financial situation before time for our trip!!). This will be good information to know for future reference, so I hope to find out the answer also.
Have a great trip!

ALL medications, including syringes, should be in your carry-on and do not even consider checkng them.

If these are one-time-use only, try to takes full, sealed, packages of them with manufacturer information. Since you will be having the medications with you, that is evidence of medical necessity. Note that if the medication is other than insulin, make sure there is prescription informaiton with the medication.

I'm interested in responses to this too (so with insulin you do not need a dr's note?).

I would think putting the syringes in the luggage (and medications) is way to risky. I would consider putting some back-up items in the luggage - extra syringes, lancets, our back-up meter and so forth, but I'd have the main items with me. I know we'd certainly be in a pickle to arrive with all our diabetic supplies lost in the luggage.

Hi Chuck,
I have ms also, as well as diabetes so I know all about the needles! I give myself 5 shots a day, but am soon going to the pump.Take them on your carry on. They might get lost if you check them. You will not need a prescription for them just make sure that your prescription label is on the copaxon(I guess since you said daily). In other words don't carry the med without the box it comes in. Mousekeeping will have a sharps container, just call them when you get there.

You will not need a drs note and you can get through security fine. Have a great time.:wave2:

I agree with everyone that you should take your syringes in your carry-on. They are considered medical supplies and don't count in your carry-on total. Since I have an entire bag devoted to just medications(sigh), I usually end up with two carry-ons.

You won't need a prescription from your doctor, but the medication should have a pharmacy label on it. I also carry a letter listing my medications that my physician wrote out for me. I've been asked for it one time and have been told it is not usually asked for on domestic flights, but is a necessity for out of the country flights. On the same flight I was asked for the letter, I was also told initially that the syringes would have to be checked because I was required to have a sharps container with me and if I didn't have a way to dispose of the syringes on the plane, they couldn't come on the plane with me.

Now, all of us who use sharps containers KNOW how big they are and how much of a pain it would be to travel with them. But I had been warned about this on one of my other boards, and since I had needed to get a medication carrier that holds a cold pack, when I bought it I made sure it had a "medical waste" pouch. Which is basically a stiff plastic zippered "bag" with the words "medical waste" printed on the side.

Oh, and you can dispose of used syringes at the First Aid Stations in the parks. And keep medications refrigerated there too. Plus they have insulin syringes if you need one because you ran out and don't want to have to go back to the room for more.

i've been through security many times w/needles in my carry-on. it seems like i always get flagged ahead of time for the detailed search. never had a problem with the needles (domestic flights). i put them into copaxone's hard-sided travel pouch and (per the airlines) stick in the pharmacy label off the box.

i've since been switched to rebif, and they give you a very small, travel-sized sharps container, which is reusable until you seal it. maybe it's available for purchase or something similar for others who are on other medications. i took it with last time just in case the mouekeeping container didn't arrive, but it was there.

don't forget to take more meds than you will need. i was very glad i took extra when i got stuck in boston overnight this January due to weather delays.

dj

This a new experience to me, and I may be over-prepared or at least overboard in my preparations. It comes from years of diplomatic service.

I am bringing extra meds and disposables, copies of prescriptions, and a note from my physician.

My husband just puts all his medical "stuff" (pills, insulin, syringes, etc) in a top section of our carry-on that zips separately. I don't think anybody has ever even looked in to see what all he had in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter