Talk me into (or out of) memory maker

EmilyS90

Mouseketeer
I have like 2 days left to get it at the reduced price so I need to decide.

We didn't use it on our last trip but we have two kids now instead of one and I think it might be more convenient to get it? How often do you come across the photographers in the parks? Like where are they usually located?

I'm going to talk you into it. As the mom photographer, the number of pics that I have with me and my children is actually pretty small. And after our last trip, I have a million pics of all the best spots WITH THE WHOLE FAMILY. I used the heck of it and it was worth every penny. I can't wait to use it again. If you download the Disney app, you can find them, but honestly, it's pretty obvious. Disney was smart and stuck them all the places that you would stop to get pics with your family.

My friend had it on our last trip and I was so jealous of her. It takes photos on the rides too! Plus the magical extras it adds onto the photos are awesome! We signed up for it on our upcoming trip as we're traveling with my parents and it'll be my 3 year old's first visit. My husband is the photographer and he always drags his DSLR around with him everywhere and multiple lenses too. I always get frustrated with wasting time on him stopping, changing lenses, losing something out of the camera bag, dropping a lens cap, and then it's just photos of me. This time we can all be in the photos and it'll be a lot faster than him setting it up for everything. There were lots of photo spots available in MK and AK that I remember getting pictures with my friend last time, and the character M&G also has them. Plus it's easy, all you do is scan your MB!

Photo pass people are everywhere. I would highly recommend it if you are doing more than a couple of parks days. But you also have to make sure you stop and take advantage of it, if you do not stop to take the pics then you will not have a lot to show for it.

We have small kids as well. I wouldn't go to Disney without Memory Maker. iPhones are great, but they are professionals and will capture some great moments. Especially Character Meets.

It's a must for our family! I am never in pictures bc I'm always taking them! Doing memory Maker put me back into the moments instead of watching things through a lens! We normally have several 100 pictures but we do make a point to stop. My kiddos love to see how they have changed over the years.

Last edited:

I'll be the devils advocate here, we don't find it worth the money. Before we had APs (it's included in them) we never bought it. We might get a couple of pictures taken and then go to the store to look at them and pick one to have printed but that was it. Back in the day, I would carry a camera (before cell phones) and took lots of pictures of my son when he was little,there aren't a lot of me but I don't like having my picture taken. Even now when we can get as many as we want, we rarely use it, we did get a picture taken in front of the castle at night during Christmas last year but most of the time we just don't use it.

We've only had it on a cruise, but it was 100% worth it. I used to lug around a big camera but now rely on my phone only and let the professionals get the frameable shots. :)

If you buy the Memory Maker does it automatically take your picture on rides like 7DMT and Splash Mountain? Can you download them for "free"?

If you buy the Memory Maker does it automatically take your picture on rides like 7DMT and Splash Mountain? Can you download them for "free"?
Well, you bought it so technically no.

You can download your photos whenever you like within the 60 days after your trip is over. Or pay for a little extra time, but, 60 days is more than enough.

@EmilyS90 I definitely recommend it. So much fun. Less hassle. You may stand in a line to wait for certain spots, but, you can usually come back to those when it's less crowded after all. :)

Can you take multiple pictures in the same spot like at different times of the day? Like if I didn't think that was a good picture can I come back later for a different photographer? Probably a dumb question but didn't know if the Magic Band will let them know you have already taken that position. Thanks!

Can you take multiple pictures in the same spot like at different times of the day? Like if I didn't think that was a good picture can I come back later for a different photographer? Probably a dumb question but didn't know if the Magic Band will let them know you have already taken that position. Thanks!
Yes, just make sure to tap your magic band each time. Also you can get multiple ride photos/videos as well, just tap the magic band.

Last edited:
Ye

Yes, just make sure to tap your magic band each time. Also you can get multiple ride photos/videos as well, just tap the magic band.

Ok thank you! Is there a place to scan before you get on the ride if you aren't using a Fast Pass? I haven't been to Disney since they started using Magic Bands and have never used the Memory Maker, but we have it purchased for our trip in February.

Ok thank you! Is there a place to scan before you get on the ride if you aren't using a Fast Pass? I haven't been to Disney since they started using Magic Bands and have never used the Memory Maker, but we have it purchased for our trip in February.
You scan after the ride for the pic

I know I'm late to the party here..but I don't find the value in it.... it's too pricey,and I've never gotten a picture I love from using it...I prefer to hand over my camera or phone to a CM and ask them to take a pic when I want one. I'm way too cheap for that kind of thing after trying it once or twice over the years. I think the ride pics etc are kind of fun, so if those are really a big deal to you,then that's the only reason it's even slightly interesting IMHO.

You scan the video screens at the end for the old rides like Splash and Big Thunder with your magic band. Some of the rides do it automatically.

I have never purchased it and I have been fine with that. In fact, I just looked back at my photos from our 2016 Spring Break trip to Disneyland and I only have a handful of "posed" photos - front of Disneyland park entrance, front of Sleeping Beauty Castle, main street in Radiator Springs and the one we took at the Visa Character spot. That was it. All of them were taken by a photo pass CM with my own Sony point & shoot camera. All the rest were impromptu photos with either the camera or a cell phone - my soon eating a mickey-shaped ice cream bar, a selfie while waiting for the parade, selfie on the front car of the monorail, etc. I have never regretted not buying a ride photo. However, to be fair, we were Florida residents for 13 years so Disney was never a "once in a lifetime" type of trip. I do take a TON of photos, and I create digital photo books, but I love taking photos of the characters, the parades, the resorts, etc The answer, as always, depends on what kind of trip this is, how many people in your party, budget, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!