Tanabata Celebration: Not-to-Miss Activities

AngelDisney

Dream a Disney Dream 0[;)
Dear TDR veterans, do you have any tips for Tanabata days at both parks?

How early do we have to line up for the parades?
Do we get to take pictures with the characters in yukata costumes?
Do you have any idea how much a Disney themed yukata would cost?
Do they have special penny press? If so, where can we find them?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for them to post information about it on their website and I'm sure TDR Explorer will update their post. They have one they just posted about Tanabata 2019, but I'm sure they'll update with snacks and merch pictures for this year after TDR releases it. I'm impatiently waiting for all of it to come out.

1. Not particularly early. This is not a major event. The hardcore parade people will line up way earlier than you’re going to want to (like, right when the park opens) & the view will still be fine even a few rows back, since people in the front will be sitting.

2. No

3. They have been anywhere from 7000~13000 in the past but they usually sell dresses & other clothing in the same print, which is probably the more useful choice for people who want something unique but won’t have occasion to actually wear the yukata.

4. I don’t think so

I think everyone is still too distressed about Mickey & Minnie’s upcoming changing faces to get excited about new events. We went to the figure skating championships this past weekend & that was the #1 non-event-related overheard topic :laughing:

1. Not particularly early. This is not a major event. The hardcore parade people will line up way earlier than you’re going to want to (like, right when the park opens) & the view will still be fine even a few rows back, since people in the front will be sitting.

2. No

3. They have been anywhere from 7000~13000 in the past but they usually sell dresses & other clothing in the same print, which is probably the more useful choice for people who want something unique but won’t have occasion to actually wear the yukata.

4. I don’t think so

I think everyone is still too distressed about Mickey & Minnie’s upcoming changing faces to get excited about new events. We went to the figure skating championships this past weekend & that was the #1 non-event-related overheard topic :laughing:
I’m confused....the faces don’t look much different to me

2. No

4. I don’t think so

:thanks:

If you didn’t mention about it, I didn’t even notice that TDR’s Mickey and Minnie had different faces than the ones at other parks. I think the new ones look happier with the raised eye brows. :P

I’m confused....the faces don’t look much different to me
They aren’t much different, but they are not the same, and nobody wants to say goodbye to the original, well-known, beloved Mickey & Minnie faces. They are consistently drawing 6-10 hour lines lately due to this impending change...

I think it’s also a cultural thing, where the general idea is that there’s no sense in changing the way something is done unless there’s a compelling reason to do so, and “just because we can” is not a compelling reason. This is why the rest of the world thinks Japanese offices must be staffed by multicolor articulated robots when in reality everyone is still using fax machines :rotfl:

Take some time to write a Tanabata wishing card and ask for another to take home if you collect those things.

For the parades, if you don't mind standing, you can probably show up shortly before the parade starts on weekdays and get a good view. In fact, the Tanabata parade in TDL is one that I can watch multiple times by moving spots as the parade shifts.

They typically do have pressed medals for the event but only at a few locations so they can be hard to find. The Japanese don't use American pennies so the machines take 100 or 200 yen and press from coin stock inside the machine. You should check Bon Voyage, the Penny Arcade, Resort Line Stations, shops, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter