Target on the way from the airport?

Jmmdls1

Earning My Ears
what would be the best target to pick things up at on the way to Aulani from the airport? Thanks!

Well, what I usually do is check out the flyer specials a day or two before we are leaving so I can get an idea of what is on sale at Target and at Safeway and then I compare them to see where I should go. Just change "your store" to Kapolei and you should be able to see the Hawaii flyer for Target

The reason I do this is one time I was on Oahu for a couple of weeks and I bought some bread at Target on the first day of my stay. It was on sale for a decent price. We used it all up and then when I went back for more the next week, the price had changed and it was outrageous so I went to Safeway. I find bread and milk are really pricey in Hawaii.

When we stop on the way from the airport to Aulani at Target or Safeway, we usually buy a case of water, a pack of pre ground Kona coffee, cream for said coffee, milk, POG juice (passion-orange-guava) sometimes we pick up mac nuts or other snacks for the room like muffins. The muffins and coffee are kind of a lifesaver when you wake up at 4:30 am because of the time change and nothing is open!

We tend to go out and about during most days so we pick up other stuff everyday. I dont buy fruit and veggies at the larger stores, I get them at farmers markets in and around the island

There is a Safeway, a Foodland, Costco as well as Target and Walmart all within a close radius of Aulani / Kapolei. We tend to stock up on bottled water and breakfast items from Costco or Target for the room.

Schedule your shopping time/location based on traffic. If you arrive during afternoon rush hour traffic, I suggest shopping at the West Oahu location near the airport to kill some time and wait for the traffic to die down. If you arrive right before before traffic starts, shop at Kapolei. Avoid H-1 westbound between 2:30-6:30 if you can. I don’t find the selection to vary too much between the stores.

There’s also a Costco in Kapolei. I shop at both Costco and Target weekly and here’s a comparison of what things cost at each store:

$6.xx for 12 organic eggs at Target vs $7.xx for 18 organic eggs at Costco
$0.39/banana at Target vs. $2-$3 for approximately 8 bananas at Costco
$7/12 pack Coke brand products at Target vs. $9.xx/24 pack at Costco
$5.xx 1/2 gallon organic milk at Target vs. $12 for 3x 1/2 gallon organic milk at Costco

Our Costco’s also sell inflatable beach items, beach chairs, coolers, etc. as well as discounted tickets to local attractions. Selection is seasonal and changes frequently, though, so don’t count on finding beach gear during the fall.

Safeway falls somewhere in between. Items prepared in the store such as bread, sandwiches, pastries, cut fruit, guacamole, etc. are very fairly priced. Anything in a box or can will cost you dearly unless it’s on sale.

One thing which surprised us when we stopped at the Kapolei Target prior to checking-in at Aulani in April is that the store does not provide bags for your purchases. Obviously the locals know to bring their own bags (or you can buy reusable bags) but for tourists coming from the airport this can create a challenge if you intend to lug lots of groceries to your destination.

We did all of our shopping at the Target in Kapolei on our way in from the airport. We just got basic things like muffins, pop tarts, lunch meats, bread, water, beer, etc. but they had everything we needed. We purchased the reusable bags which came in handy in the room, since we were staying on DVC points and didn't receive daily housekeeping. We used them as an extra garbage can until we took our garbage down to the garbage room.

One thing which surprised us when we stopped at the Kapolei Target prior to checking-in at Aulani in April is that the store does not provide bags for your purchases. Obviously the locals know to bring their own bags (or you can buy reusable bags) but for tourists coming from the airport this can create a challenge if you intend to lug lots of groceries to your destination.

FYI, as of July 1st stores on Oahu are banned from providing complimentary bags. You may purchase paper bags or reuseable plastic bags for a minimum price of $0.15/bag. Some stores have done away with bags altogether.

One other thing to think about - if you have military commissary privileges, the Navy Exchange complex is right near the airport. There is a big commissary and big exchange there. Worth going there vs anywhere else.

Personally, we did most of our shopping at Costco for large quantity items and then supplemented with items from Safeway which has more variety. I haven't particularly liked the selection at Target in Hawaii. Costco also has the best price on gas.

Another thing to keep in mind especially those who are used to WDW, Aulani will not store your groceries in a cooler if you arrive before your room is ready. This was our experience in April 2017. Depending on what time your flight arrives you may want to stick with only non-perishables on your first grocery run.

what would be the best target to pick things up at on the way to Aulani from the airport? Thanks!

Important to know that the Kapolei Target is a "BigTarget" and not a "SuperTarget", which means they do have groceries but not a full grocery store.

ersonally, we did most of our shopping at Costco for large quantity items and then supplemented with items from Safeway which has more variety. I haven't particularly liked the selection at Target in Hawaii. Costco also has the best price on gas.

Costco is always our main go-to for supplies for our annual trips to Hawaii. There are always a few items I will still need to pick up at Wal-Mart, Safeway, Foodland, or similar, like a jar of jelly (lilikoi or guava for me please!), condiments, etc., that I do not need in the Costco sizes. We do find a lot of great produce at Costco at their Hawaii stores.

Another thing to keep in mind especially those who are used to WDW, Aulani will not store your groceries in a cooler if you arrive before your room is ready.

Really??? I know of NO timeshare of any size that won't store your cold stuff. I must call Aulani re: this as I'm planning our 4th Aulani trip for next year. WDW DVC resorts as well as Vero Beach always store our cold stuff. We just need to let them know we have cold items. Thanks for posting that, Hilarys. :cutie:

Really??? I know of NO timeshare of any size that won't store your cold stuff. I must call Aulani re: this as I'm planning our 4th Aulani trip for next year. WDW DVC resorts as well as Vero Beach always store our cold stuff. We just need to let them know we have cold items. Thanks for posting that, Hilarys. :cutie:[/QUOTE]

Please report back - I would love to know if they have changed the policy. It really took me by surprise as It is never an issue at WDW and I thought I had done it before at Aulani. I guess I could see it becoming an issue for them because so many flights to Hawaii arrive early (from the west coast we usually land at 11:30) and maybe they had space issues?? It ended up working out fine for us as our villa ended up being ready before 4 so the groceries did not sit too long (and they were at least in an air-conditioned bell storage room).

Really??? I know of NO timeshare of any size that won't store your cold stuff. I must call Aulani re: this as I'm planning our 4th Aulani trip for next year. WDW DVC resorts as well as Vero Beach always store our cold stuff. We just need to let them know we have cold items. Thanks for posting that, Hilarys. :cutie:

Please report back - I would love to know if they have changed the policy. It really took me by surprise as It is never an issue at WDW and I thought I had done it before at Aulani. I guess I could see it becoming an issue for them because so many flights to Hawaii arrive early (from the west coast we usually land at 11:30) and maybe they had space issues?? It ended up working out fine for us as our villa ended up being ready before 4 so the groceries did not sit too long (and they were at least in an air-conditioned bell storage room).[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure they USED to do this at Aulani and now no longer do it. I personally have never had to use the service but I have read this multiple times here on this thread

then I just searched past threads and read this, so it is a possibility that it does exist but is limited. This was posted back in 2016 though

If you arrive at Aulani around 2 or 3 pm with check in at 4 pm, you should be fine. Keep in mind that bell services has a limited amount of refrigerated space to store items for guests and since we usually arrive around 11 am at HNL, we go directly to the resort first, drop off luggage, relax around the pool and then go out grocery shopping since we have a large family and stay for a week. Have fun!

Please report back - I would love to know if they have changed the policy. It really took me by surprise as It is never an issue at WDW and I thought I had done it before at Aulani. I guess I could see it becoming an issue for them because so many flights to Hawaii arrive early (from the west coast we usually land at 11:30) and maybe they had space issues?? It ended up working out fine for us as our villa ended up being ready before 4 so the groceries did not sit too long (and they were at least in an air-conditioned bell storage room).

then I just searched past threads and read this, so it is a possibility that it does exist but is limited. This was posted back in 2016 though

Okay. Well, I just called Aulani and spoke with Ulu. I am shocked and surprised to find out that it IS true that Aulani does NOT have adequate cold storage to offer keeping our refrigerated items until our rooms are ready like virtually every other TS I know of. :sad2: Since Aulani is such a new resort, it is REALLY hard to believe that no planning was made for walk in cooler storage for TS guests, since TS owners tend to stay for longer than average stays. Very disappointing. :guilty:

What Ulu DID say was that they WILL store your cold items if you are doing a ROOM CHANGE while staying at Aulani. But not for check in........ o_O

We have always brought the cooler resuable bags when traveling to Hawaii, just because of the general heat and the paper bags that Safeway uses. They don't weight much and are easy to pack in a suitcase. Use them.

We have always brought the cooler resuable bags when traveling to Hawaii, just because of the general heat and the paper bags that Safeway uses. They don't weight much and are easy to pack in a suitcase. Use them.

Me too! :cutie: I have a really big Costco insulated bag that folds up very flat that I keep in the front pocket of my large checked bag. And I have a smaller one from Woodland that I keep in my smaller bag's front pocket for easy access.

We don't stay longer than a week at Aulani, but on Maui we stay for a good deal longer so we have a LOT of cold stuff. And they have no problem storing it for us at our TS there. :o

Okay. Well, I just called Aulani and spoke with Ulu. I am shocked and surprised to find out that it IS true that Aulani does NOT have adequate cold storage to offer keeping our refrigerated items until our rooms are ready like virtually every other TS I know of. :sad2: Since Aulani is such a new resort, it is REALLY hard to believe that no planning was made for walk in cooler storage for TS guests, since TS owners tend to stay for longer than average stays. Very disappointing. :guilty:

What Ulu DID say was that they WILL store your cold items if you are doing a ROOM CHANGE while staying at Aulani. But not for check in........ o_O

Thank you for reporting back. I was hoping our experience was just a one-time thing during a busy week, but now we know it is not. We will just plan to go straight to the resort from now on and then enjoy the pool until the room is ready and then make the grocery run. The kids will be happy that they don't have to be dragged to the grocery store under that scenario. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter