Target policy changed on GC

First hand confirmation. It wasn't Disney but I bought a gift card with my Target GC tonight. Self checkout, no issues. I was driving by one and I needed to stop in for a small $2.99 item, so I threw on a $25 GC I needed for a gift for giggles and kicks. But it worked, so back to normal for now. Hopefully it stays this way for a while.

First hand confirmation. It wasn't Disney but I bought a gift card with my Target GC tonight. Self checkout, no issues. I was driving by one and I needed to stop in for a small $2.99 item, so I threw on a $25 GC I needed for a gift for giggles and kicks. But it worked, so back to normal for now. Hopefully it stays this way for a while.
Great news! Thanks for posting.

DH came home from work last night and tossed a Target gift card in my lap. He says, "You've corrupted me...I only wanted ONE bottle of vitamins, but they had a free gift card if I bought two bottles...so here's your gift card.":rotfl2: So now I have $35 in Target FWP gift cards. I'm still planning to continue redeeming my SB towards BB but I will go back to shopping the weekly Target ad and seeking out the products that offer the gift cards again.

Question now that it’s fixed: I plan on getting quite a few FWP gcs tomorrow. I know target doesn’t sell Best Buy gcs but can I use FWP gcs to buy a visa GC? Or is it only Disney gcs you can buy? Either way is fine. Just figured I’d combine a visa GC with a $25 Best Buy GC from swagbucks to use the QR code.

Question now that it’s fixed: I plan on getting quite a few FWP gcs tomorrow. I know target doesn’t sell Best Buy gcs but can I use FWP gcs to buy a visa GC? Or is it only Disney gcs you can buy? Either way is fine. Just figured I’d combine a visa GC with a $25 Best Buy GC from swagbucks to use the QR code.
You cannot purchase Visa or Mastercard GCs with a Target GC. You can purchase what people will refer to as "entertainment" cards. Those would restaurants, movies, game cards (Google Play, iTunes, XBox) and I believe travel cards (gasoline, Southwest, hotel).

You cannot purchase Visa or Mastercard GCs with a Target GC. You can purchase what people will refer to as "entertainment" cards. Those would restaurants, movies, game cards (Google Play, iTunes, XBox) and I believe travel cards (gasoline, Southwest, hotel).

The one exception to that seems to be the iTunes you mentioned. So far that's the only one they've specifically called out that can't be purchased with a GC. I think there were reports on here around the holiday's of folks not being able to get iTunes with a gift card. So I'd go with YMMV with that. I never tried it myself, I always managed to be gift card-less when I needed to buy those. But everything else non-CC I've wanted to buy has worked. Now that the glitch seems fixed you should be able to combine Target GC's in store again too.

The one exception to that seems to be the iTunes you mentioned. So far that's the only one they've specifically called out that can't be purchased with a GC. I think there were reports on here around the holiday's of folks not being able to get iTunes with a gift card. So I'd go with YMMV with that. I never tried it myself, I always managed to be gift card-less when I needed to buy those. But everything else non-CC I've wanted to buy has worked. Now that the glitch seems fixed you should be able to combine Target GC's in store again too.
Yes, that is true, iTunes has not been able to be purchased with a Target GC for a long time.

I am going to try after work with some Target GC that I have. Has anyone else had success today?

Multiple people have bought Disney cards in store with target gift cards yesterday and today. What did they tell you?
Well it was not self check out. She tried it a few times and looked confused. She called over her supervisor and she tried. She looked at the actual gift card and told me there have been some changes with purchasing gift cards with Target gift cards (these gift cards I have are those you get when you purchase multiple items in store and receive gift card). Not sure if there is a difference. I said no thanks and walked out.

I seriously laughed out loud at this. Yes, all of these criminal families "laundering" their Disney money. LOL
Heaven help the poor clerk/manager who says that to me someday. I'm gonna go all confused and say "what is money laundering? how does that work? who would do that?" Dollars to donuts half of them can't even explain what money laundering is, and those that can it'll be a wonderful moment when they tell me criminals launder money- "wait- you called me a criminal?!"

Heaven help the poor clerk/manager who says that to me someday. I'm gonna go all confused and say "what is money laundering? how does that work? who would do that?" Dollars to donuts half of them can't even explain what money laundering is, and those that can it'll be a wonderful moment when they tell me criminals launder money- "wait- you called me a criminal?!"

Exactly!! That is not at all how money laundering works. LOL Now I sound like the criminal. :P

Well it was not self check out. She tried it a few times and looked confused. She called over her supervisor and she tried. She looked at the actual gift card and told me there have been some changes with purchasing gift cards with Target gift cards (these gift cards I have are those you get when you purchase multiple items in store and receive gift card). Not sure if there is a difference. I said no thanks and walked out.
It’s absolutely not company wide. It’s right on their gift card FAQ that gift cards can be purchased in store with target cards. Some individual stores can be flagged for excessive fraud, but company policy is that it is allowed. I would contact corporate and let them know your experience so they have a record of which stores are having issues. If you have another target in your area, I’d try again.

I tried this today since CardCash has a sale on Target today. I loaded them to the app and requested the access code. Then went to Target. The person at self checkout told me “You can buy those with a gift card”. I asked since when and she replied it was a recent change. I tried it anyway. It machine did not even require an override. Totally fine.

Hopefully they just didn't get the update yet and maybe it'll be corrected soon? I thought when they took out iTunes it rolled out over a couple days. I have my fingers crossed that you're still waiting for the rollout of the fix.

I purchased a $650 Target card from Cardcash.com last night to buy Disney gift cards.
I went through the self check-out and just ran into a little problem, but an employee helped me out. The only way to use a mobile or e-card from Target in the store was to upload it to the Target App and then have an access code emailed to your phone to enter. Once we did that the gift card worked without an issue.
Today I went to another Target and bought another $500 from Cardcash.com and followed the same steps from the night before and had no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter