Target policy changed on GC

I went to Target the other day and was told No about using gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. Has anyone experienced this again?

I went to Target the other day and was told No about using gift cards to buy Disney gift cards. Has anyone experienced this again?
Yes. They have now actually changed the policy and you can’t buy gift cards with target gift cards.

Thanks everyone! That is a total bummer, but now I just will make sure I buy my gift cards with other items so I can use my target GC.

Thanks everyone! That is a total bummer, but now I just will make sure I buy my gift cards with other items so I can use my target GC.

That way may not necessarily work either. There is a possibility that the computers are updated so that it'll only take off the amount without the Disney gift cards with the Target gift cards.

So let's say that you're buying $100 worth of items with a $50 Disney gift card already included in the total and have a $100 Target gift card. It may only take $50 off of the original $100 Target gift card instead of the full amount, the $100 total, because of the new policy. I know that the registers at the store I work at have done it before, so it is definitely a possibility that they all do it, thereby eliminating the method of putting the Disney gift cards in with other items to try to use the gift card. I've had guests, recently, try to use a Target gift card to buy a Visa gift card, along with other items in the same transaction, and even if it were just a $5 or $10 gift card, it would tell me something like "Can only be applied to $30" or however much their total was without the gift cards.

That way may not necessarily work either. There is a possibility that the computers are updated so that it'll only take off the amount without the Disney gift cards with the Target gift cards.

So let's say that you're buying $100 worth of items with a $50 Disney gift card already included in the total and have a $100 Target gift card. It may only take $50 off of the original $100 Target gift card instead of the full amount, the $100 total, because of the new policy. I know that the registers at the store I work at have done it before, so it is definitely a possibility that they all do it, thereby eliminating the method of putting the Disney gift cards in with other items to try to use the gift card. I've had guests, recently, try to use a Target gift card to buy a Visa gift card, along with other items in the same transaction, and even if it were just a $5 or $10 gift card, it would tell me something like "Can only be applied to $30" or however much their total was without the gift cards.
This is exactly how it works. You can only apply your Target gift card to non-gift card items in your cart. I bought a $25 Disney gift card and $70 worth of groceries. When I applied my gift cards as payment, an alert came up that indicated the balance of my order that was eligible for gift card payment. In reality, my $25 in Target gift cards were applied to my groceries but in my head, they were applied to the Disney gift card.

That is how this works. I bought stuff yesterday and the items totaled over $50 so I bought a $50 Disney GC and used my $50 in Target GCs. So just like a previous post, in my head it was applied to my GC, but Target applied it to my merch.

I can see Target not hurrying to fix the system issue. It probably was done on purpose so they could just blame the system. Many companies are getting away with letting people use a go for gc and in some cases using a credit card to buy them. Lots of credit card fraud...aka money laundering during via gc.

OH MY. . .NOT how I wanted to start my week. :( I have several hundred dollars in Target gift cards that I was planning on converting over to Disney GC's before our trip in January. My stomach hurts now. . . .

OH MY. . .NOT how I wanted to start my week. :( I have several hundred dollars in Target gift cards that I was planning on converting over to Disney GC's before our trip in January. My stomach hurts now. . . .
I feel your pain. I had $300 that I was "saving" (don't know why).

I can see Target not hurrying to fix the system issue. It probably was done on purpose so they could just blame the system. Many companies are getting away with letting people use a go for gc and in some cases using a credit card to buy them. Lots of credit card fraud...aka money laundering during via gc.
I don't believe that it's a systems issue this time. I believe that their policy has changed so that you can't use a gift card to buy any kind of gift card. Before where it was a glitch in the system, this seems to be Target changing it so that it's permanent.

I'm new to this, but was the point to use a gift card exchange and purchase the Target GC at a reduced rate and then purchase the Disney GC to achieve a realized discount with Disney? If so, did it often exceed the 5% off using the Target redcard?

I'm new to this, but was the point to use a gift card exchange and purchase the Target GC at a reduced rate and then purchase the Disney GC to achieve a realized discount with Disney? If so, did it often exceed the 5% off using the Target redcard?

For some - yes - this was how many people saved some money on Disney vacations. For me, I earned free gift cards through sites like Swagbucks and then used the free cards for to get Disney cards. Now that the target deal is dead, I earn free virtual visa cards and paypal cash and buy through Disney online. So for me (and many others) the disney cards are 100% free with a little work on various reward sites.

For some - yes - this was how many people saved some money on Disney vacations. For me, I earned free gift cards through sites like Swagbucks and then used the free cards for to get Disney cards. Now that the target deal is dead, I earn free virtual visa cards and paypal cash and buy through Disney online. So for me (and many others) the disney cards are 100% free with a little work on various reward sites.
Oh, good to know. I'll be sure to check out some of those options. Thanks

I know I am late to the party, but went to Target for the first time in a while to use up some GCs I had and was so disgusted they couldn't be used towards a Disney GC.

I used to get my prescriptions filled at target so I could get the extra 5% on top of my Red Card 5%. I would be in Target 4x a month and then I would pick up other groceries and spend quite a bit there every month. When they stopped with the prescription bonus, I transferred all my prescriptions to a much closer pharmacy, and now I only go to Target about 1x per month - to buy Disney GCs with Target GCs I got discounted elsewhere. When I go, I spend extra money on other things.

Now - I would never go there just for groceries, I don't go for GCs anymore. So I am only going to go there for things i need seasonally or occasionally. It is so stupid - I literally have gone from spending $1000s of dollars there to almost nothing (and I am talking money I spent over and above the GCs).

I guess I will be buying my gift cards at Sam's. The 5% discount at Target to me isn't worth it to have to use the Red Card, when instead I can get close to 5% at Sam's, then the money back from my CC. So I get a better deal, and I can pick up things I buy there in bulk- like paper towels.

I know I am late to the party, but went to Target for the first time in a while to use up some GCs I had and was so disgusted they couldn't be used towards a Disney GC.

I used to get my prescriptions filled at target so I could get the extra 5% on top of my Red Card 5%. I would be in Target 4x a month and then I would pick up other groceries and spend quite a bit there every month. When they stopped with the prescription bonus, I transferred all my prescriptions to a much closer pharmacy, and now I only go to Target about 1x per month - to buy Disney GCs with Target GCs I got discounted elsewhere. When I go, I spend extra money on other things.

Now - I would never go there just for groceries, I don't go for GCs anymore. So I am only going to go there for things i need seasonally or occasionally. It is so stupid - I literally have gone from spending $1000s of dollars there to almost nothing (and I am talking money I spent over and above the GCs).

I guess I will be buying my gift cards at Sam's. The 5% discount at Target to me isn't worth it to have to use the Red Card, when instead I can get close to 5% at Sam's, then the money back from my CC. So I get a better deal, and I can pick up things I buy there in bulk- like paper towels.
I'm still using my Red Card to get the 5% but I'm getting the digital gift cards from Target.com and just transferring them to my main gift card. Doesn't change the fact that we can'y buy Disney GC with Target GC but it still lets me get the 5% without having to go to the store.

Quick question...With either a Target store or their VISA card you can still get 5% off any gift cards (including Disney and Carnival)? And not just e-cards, actual gift cards...Thanks. Prob such a beginner question but this thread is so long.

Quick question...With either a Target store or their VISA card you can still get 5% off any gift cards (including Disney and Carnival)? And not just e-cards, actual gift cards...Thanks. Prob such a beginner question but this thread is so long.

Yes. You still get a 5% discount with the RedCard and the Target Visa.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter