Taxis from the park in Shanghai

GoofyMB

Mouseketeer
Are taxis readily available when leaving the park if not staying on property. Not sure how I feel about trying to navigate the trains without knowing the language. Is it safe to assume taxis back to downtown Shanghai would be safe at night?

I have yet to visit Shanghai, so I can't comment on personal experience. But the general concern I have with Taxi's would be making sure to use an official taxi that would charge you a metered rate. Because of this, we are choosing to use the metro for our transport.

From https://www.healthandsafetyinshanghai.com/scams-in-shanghai.html

If you’re taking a taxi in Shanghai, bear in mind that:
  • Most reputable taxis in Shanghai are green, yellow or blue and are clearly marked; registered taxis have an electronic identification card, which is attached to the top-left side of the windscreen. The electronic ID cards distinguish these vehicles from unofficial taxis and provide information such as license plate number and operator's certificate.
  • Drivers are obliged to use the meter and most do. Rates are posted on the rear windows of taxis.
  • A 30% surcharge is automatically added to the meter for rides after 11pm.
  • Taxi drivers tend to use elevated roads or highways such as Yan’an Lu because of their relatively free-flowing traffic in comparison to the constant gridlock in city-centre areas; although this is a less direct and more expensive approach, hence sometimes confused as a scam, it usually allows quicker and more hassle-free travel within the city.
  • Few taxi drivers speak English and visitors are advised to have their destination address written in Chinese to hand to the driver. Some free English translation hotlines are available at numbers posted inside Shanghai taxis.

Navigating the trains was really easy as they have signs for everything in English. We had no issues at all. If you are planning on taking a train in the morning, you should not have any difficulty to follow the same steps back in the evening.

We stayed at Toy Story Hotel and our experiences with taxis were only about going from the airport there and back. At the airport there is an official taxi stand and that worked well. The driver spoke no English, but we showed him the print out of the Toy Story Hotel address in Mandarin and he recognized the Mickey head and immediately knew where to go. On the way back the hotel got the taxi for us and that taxi was incredibly old and had no functioning seat belts. We got to the airport ok though.

With my experience, I would feel more comfortable taking the train if at all possible instead of a taxi. I found it more nerve racking to not be able to communicate with my driver because of the language barrier than looking for the English language signs on the trains.

You can take the subway from the station at the park or you can walk to the bus depot and there is a massive line of taxis waiting. We stayed onsite and used the buses, but you could see the taxi line from there as well.

Thank you everyone. We found our way just fine. We did use a taxi as we felt more comfortable going door to door rather than trying to navigate the subway. As mentioned taxi's were plentiful leaving the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!