Taxis/shuttles with a wheelchair?

loadsapixiedust

DIS Veteran
We are staying at ASMo on the next trip, 4 of us including DS who uses a wheelchair. We aren't sure whether to hire a car or not. Disney transport is fine for us, but how easy would it be to get wheelchair accessible transport to Universal, Seaworld and the malls? Would this prove more difficult and expensive than hiring a van?

loadsapixiedust said:
We are staying at ASMo on the next trip, 4 of us including DS who uses a wheelchair. We aren't sure whether to hire a car or not. Disney transport is fine for us, but how easy would it be to get wheelchair accessible transport to Universal, Seaworld and the malls? Would this prove more difficult and expensive than hiring a van?

I've called for accessible taxis many times in the WDW area...They are, of coure, no more expensive than any other taxi...As for whether or not they are more expensive than renting a car...? If the 'chair is a manual one and easily put in a rental van...If your son can ride in a regular van?...Things to consider. How would you get to the malls or other places anyway? There should be a similar way that is accessible.

Thankyou for your reply. Do all taxi companies have accessible taxis or can you give me a list of some to call?

loadsapixiedust said:
Thankyou for your reply. Do all taxi companies have accessible taxis or can you give me a list of some to call?

I used to have the phone number of a private (taxi) contractor who drove me several times on one trip to WDW last year but, after passing it on to several people on the DIS, of course, I misplaced it. You can call Mears, who does not only do accessible Disney transport to the port, but also has regular accessible taxis and shuttles to and from MCO. I have called them many times, with only a couple of mishaps...
I learned that if you call Mears for an accessible taxi you must speak to the dispatcher as though they don't understand a word of English and then have them read your request back to you to be sure they got it right. The drivers are the nicest guys but the dispatchers occasionally get things wrong. All taxi companies should have accessible taxis...the ADA, you know, but sometimes the lifts break or...whatever...
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter