Teaching your (adult) self to ride a bike?

Chronic Daydreamer

Earning My Ears
So I never learnt to ride a bike as a kid, but now in my late 20's i'm thinking i'd like to. Has anyone ever taught themselves to ride a bike? Do you think as a reasonably coordinated adult I could just hire one, grab a helmet, go to a patch of grass and see how I go?

So I never learnt to ride a bike as a kid, but now in my late 20's i'm thinking i'd like to. Has anyone ever taught themselves to ride a bike? Do you think as a reasonably coordinated adult I could just hire one, grab a helmet, go to a patch of grass and see how I go?

Go on YouTube and search for "how to ride a bike adult" -- several pop up that might be helpful to watch before you head out and hop on. I'm sure you can do it. Good luck!

I learned as a kid, so no advice but offering support! You have the coordination now so it should be easy. Good luck!

and see, even Phoebe learned to ride! :D

Taught myself to ride at 27! Seconding the above comment about searching online...I read every article and watched every video about adults (and kids!) learning to ride. You may also want to check out any local bike clubs as sometimes they host clinics for beginner riders.

I ended up buying a cheap mountain bike (wider tires) and helmet from Walmart and taking it to a deserted trail area to ride. Bring down the seat as low as you can (so your feet touch the ground) and remove the pedals if you can. Start on a slight decline, so you can build momentum and work on steering before you bring in pedaling. Push yourself along and just coast, get used to shifting your weight and turning the handlebars. It sometimes helps to thing of steering along a swooping “s” as opposed to a straight line. And it seems counterintuitive, but if you feel yourself start to fall, turn your handlebars in that direction and you’ll straighten out! I was able to teach myself to ride in about an afternoon and now I’m addicted LOL.

My husband taught himself to ride in his 30s. He took a bike to the backyard so no one could see him. After he got over his nerves it was speed that helped him the most. The faster he went the quicker he figured it out. Whenever he got too nervous and slowed down he wobbled a bit and would put his foot down. He was decent after his first 1/2 hour, but went back out a second day in the backyard before he went out front.

The thing that took the longest for him was starting - he kind of just pushed off a lot with his foot for quite awhile until he got more comfortable.

I recall a LOT of complaining that his parents told him he'd never be able to ride a bike and refused to teach him, but all in all he learned very quickly.

Can I just say that I'm glad I'm not the only adult in the whole world that can't ride a bike? I don't admit that very often. It's embarrassing and people make way too big of a deal out of it.

And for the record, Phoebe on Friends never learned to ride. Ross and the gang tried to teach her, but she never got the hang of it.

Can I just say that I'm glad I'm not the only adult in the whole world that can't ride a bike? I don't admit that very often. It's embarrassing and people make way too big of a deal out of it.

And for the record, Phoebe on Friends never learned to ride. Ross and the gang tried to teach her, but she never got the hang of it.
Um. Me too. It's on my bucket list, along with learning how to drive. LOL

I think Niles and Frasier (on Frasier) too learned as adults? I seem to vaguely remember that.

I think Niles and Frasier (on Frasier) too learned as adults? I seem to vaguely remember that.

I still have no desire to learn. I was a HUGE chicken when I was a kid. I was terrified of falling off and getting hurt. My dad started trying to teach me when I was 6. When I was 7 the boy across the street was in a bad bike accident. He broke both his legs and one of his arms. I think that scared me away from bikes for good.

I taught my husband how to ride a bike a few years ago when he was in his late 20s. He got it within a day! Totally doable.

You won't regret learning - bike riding is wonderful.

Taught myself to ride at 27! Seconding the above comment about searching online...I read every article and watched every video about adults (and kids!) learning to ride. You may also want to check out any local bike clubs as sometimes they host clinics for beginner riders.

I ended up buying a cheap mountain bike (wider tires) and helmet from Walmart and taking it to a deserted trail area to ride. Bring down the seat as low as you can (so your feet touch the ground) and remove the pedals if you can. Start on a slight decline, so you can build momentum and work on steering before you bring in pedaling. Push yourself along and just coast, get used to shifting your weight and turning the handlebars. It sometimes helps to thing of steering along a swooping “s” as opposed to a straight line. And it seems counterintuitive, but if you feel yourself start to fall, turn your handlebars in that direction and you’ll straighten out! I was able to teach myself to ride in about an afternoon and now I’m addicted LOL.
This. All of our kids learned between 3 - 5 (the goal was before kindergarten). Most learned on the “clown bike,” a tiny bike we found at a garage sale. The kids could easily put their feet down, and we took off the pedals. Once they were able to glide and balance, we put the pedals on. A grassy or dirt slope with a decline is helpful.

Can I just say that I'm glad I'm not the only adult in the whole world that can't ride a bike?
I used to love riding my bike when I was a kid, but when I got a driver's license I never got on a bike again. I know the saying "It's like riding a bike, you never forget" but I'm not certain I could ride a bike now. When I'm out walking I see lots of people on bikes, it looks like fun, I just don't want to get injured finding out if I still have the balance for it.

Definitely take the pedals off and practice balancing. I'm not handy at all but I did it easily with a bike tool. Sit on the bike with feet flat on floor so you feel safe. Move handlebars right and left to get used to the movement. Walk yourself forward a few time. Start going faster to get your balance. Put your feet up briefly, then longer as you get better. When you can go fast and balance easily, add in turning. Then you're ready to put pedals back on. You'll feel much more confident since your balance is good, and pedaling while balancing won't be hard.

The episode is called "Fraternal Schwinns" (season 10) and is one of my favorite episodes of this show. It is hysterical.

Good luck with learning to ride a bike and learning to drive!

Definitely take the pedals off and practice balancing. I'm not handy at all but I did it easily with a bike tool. Sit on the bike with feet flat on floor so you feel safe. Move handlebars right and left to get used to the movement. Walk yourself forward a few time. Start going faster to get your balance. Put your feet up briefly, then longer as you get better. When you can go fast and balance easily, add in turning. Then you're ready to put pedals back on. You'll feel much more confident since your balance is good, and pedaling while balancing won't be hard.

^^^^ the best way to learn for young and old

BTW, will be 70 in July and bicycled 75 miles today. Short ride because it was VERY WINDY.

It’s been almost 20 years since I rode a bike... I’m often afraid I don’t remember how!

It’s been almost 20 years since I rode a bike... I’m often afraid I don’t remember how!

Seriously, one never forgets, just might take a few minutes to reactive the brain-muscle connection. My fun 75 mile ride yesterday ---

Yes she did!!! Ok, training wheels, but she did learn to ride!

Watch, at the 2:03 mark,

Training wheels don't count. The bike my dad bought me had training wheels. After about a year her kept telling me that I was too old for training wheels and I need to learn to ride it.

Training wheels don't count. The bike my dad bought me had training wheels. After about a year her kept telling me that I was too old for training wheels and I need to learn to ride it.

I think they do. We will have to agree to disagree on this.

Learned early but it's an easy skill to pick up:).
A slight incline/hill makes it easier to keep your balance to start and of course grass breaks the inevitable fall.
Have fun out there and don't forget your helmut.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter