Teaching your (adult) self to ride a bike?

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll see if I can figure out how to take off the pedals to start! I can ride a scooter and roller skate (I do wonder why I learnt those as a kids but not a bike!) So I think I should be able to get it, just want to minimise the time's I fall!

Learning to ride is all in balance, if you find a place like a bmx track has for placing the front wheel you just need to learn balance.

My husband taught himself to ride in his 30s. He took a bike to the backyard so no one could see him. After he got over his nerves it was speed that helped him the most.

Yeah, this is one of the keys. It's the forward motion that helps you stabilize side-to-side.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll see if I can figure out how to take off the pedals to start! I can ride a scooter and roller skate (I do wonder why I learnt those as a kids but not a bike!) So I think I should be able to get it, just want to minimise the time's I fall!

Have fun.....it's real easy but then of course at my age I don't remember the learning process much. I do remember that sensation, tho when you really are riding!! Awesome feeling. Have fun. :goodvibes

I would recommend finding a gentle slope (maybe even grassy) and start by coasting down the hill. You'll get the whole balance thing better that way. It's easier to balance when you are moving, believe it or not. Good luck!

The right pedal is removed by putting a wrench on the flats between the crank (part the pedal screws into) and pedal body then turning counter clockwise.

The left pedal has reverse threads so you must turn the wrench clockwise.

NOTE --
If the bike has coaster brakes the removal will be easy but if the cranks can spin in reverse you will have to put the kickstand down and rest the crank against the REAR FACING SIDE!!! If no kickstand then having someone to hold the cranks steady will help.

I have ridden all my life and love it. I bike 5-7 days a week. My wife didn't bike for many years but in the last 18 months took an interest. She went on the FB marketplace and found a Sun 3 wheeler bike and she rides that every nice day we get. The hardest part for her was learning not to lean into the turns as you would with a normal 2 wheel bike. I put a basket on the front and the dog rides there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter