Teens and drinking

I would talk to your daughter. You need to hear her version of events. I am not against drinking. My sister and I were allowed a 1/2 glass of wine at family celebration dinners from age 12 if held at a family members home. We were told not drink at a friends home as providing alcohol to children not your own is illegal. I was the designated driver for my group of friends once we were of age. I am against drinking and driving. Does your DD16 have her driving licence? If I ever caught my DD16 drinking at a friends home she would lose her driving privileges.

How defiant to put pictures of yourself doing shots online at the age of 16. She must not be afraid of the consequences. I would end that for sure.
FWIW I doubt that for most young adults defiance is the reason they put up pictures on social media. Usually it's a lack of understanding just how those photos even years later can be used in judgements against them from college to employers.

Also FWIW I don't think it's about not being afraid of the consequences but again usually a lack of full understanding.

Sure perhaps for some it's a way to go against mom or dad or whatever but I doubt that for the majority that's actually the reason. And I'm not sure that for most it would work out well to approach it as the motives are "you're being defiant and aren't afraid of the consequences". Of course YMMV.

I am not against drinking. My sister and I were allowed a 1/2 glass of wine at family celebration dinners from age 12 if held at a family members home.

I find what you are describing to be responsible.

Shots like the OP mentioned? Absolutely not.

I keep thinking of the Public Service Commercial where the girl is struggling to breathe on the floor after a party.

I find what you are describing to be responsible.

Shots like the OP mentioned? Absolutely not.

I keep thinking of the Public Service Commercial where the girl is struggling to breathe on the floor after a party.
Exactly the point my family was trying to teach us, responsible drinking habits in a controlled situation, and taking a away the taboo, rebellious idea of drinking.

Last edited:

FWIW I doubt that for most young adults defiance is the reason they put up pictures on social media. Usually it's a lack of understanding just how those photos even years later can be used in judgements against them from college to employers.
My DD is a college freshman and joined a sorority. They have a VERY strict "no alcohol & no smoking/vaping" policy on social media. My DD posted a photo of her sipping from my beer selection at the new Baseline Taphouse to Instagram and she received a message within hours to take it down. I think it's a good thing for them to stop and think about what they post on social media.

Playing devil's advocate...

What if it's your daughter that's doing the influencing?

I would talk to your daughter before accusing other people.

Exactly! Maybe the other girl never drank before starting to hang out with your DD.

I will agree, OP, that sometimes a friendship isn't a good one because neither involved seems to make good decisions when they are together. The "blame" should be shared equally though. And the biggest point here is that you can only influence your own DD so focus there.

Teenage drinking and many other issues come up in these late teen years. You need to get some communication going with your DD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter