Tell me about Frontier Airlines...

klwdisney

DIS Veteran
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm having a hard time finding decent flight prices for our late August trip. I've heard horror stories about Spirit, but never anything bad about Frontier. Has anyone flown them? What was your experience?

Where are you flying from? My gripe with Frontier has been that from our city (Buffalo), they only offer flights on certain days of the week and only at one time each day. We haven't yet found that Frontier's flights align with our travel plans, and the flight prices are on par with Southwest, so we just book Southwest for more time options. And with so few flights in and out of Buffalo, any delays may be trip-ruining.

I flew Frontier once and I would fly them again. They are like a bus that flies. Make sure that you understand and account for their luggage policies.

The problems with these type of airlines is their sparse schedule. If your flight gets cancelled then you may have to wait days to get another.

I only fly Frontier if they offer a non stop. I don’t trust the low cost carriers if irregular operations occur. They just don’t have the fleet capacity to handle bad weather or planes going down for maintenance without adversely effecting many flights. Adding a connection is just too much of a risk for me.

Their product on the plane is fine. The seats are tight, there is no recline, and everything costs extra but we flew as a family of four round trip from Atlanta to Orlando with the extra fees for $325.

I fly Frontier as my first choice of airline as of the past several years. Their cheap flights have allowed me to take many more trips than I normally would. The airports I use mostly are Philly, Trenton, Orlando and Myrtle Beach. We only had one major delay that was due to an error message that caused them to have to return to the gate and get the plane checked out. It sucked, but they sent us a food voucher without asking and then by the next day a travel voucher for $75 each that covered my next flight. Flight times are limited for sure, but I can usually find decent days and times and for the amount of money I save still well worth it. Most of my NJ to Orlando or Myrtle Beach trips are in the $50-100 Round Trip. Less than half of what I find on any other airline.

The planes are fine. Seats don't seem any less comfortable to me than the United trip I took recently. Pricing structure is a la carte so keep that in mind when booking. I rarely need more than the free bag that goes under the seat so we avoid baggage fees and also rarely pay for seat selection. So far so good.

Staff and customer service have been great so far. And they have an emergency cancellation policy that was super helpful when we got the flu and had to cancel our trip.

Where are you flying from? My gripe with Frontier has been that from our city (Buffalo), they only offer flights on certain days of the week and only at one time each day. We haven't yet found that Frontier's flights align with our travel plans, and the flight prices are on par with Southwest, so we just book Southwest for more time options. And with so few flights in and out of Buffalo, any delays may be trip-ruining.

Not sure when you last checked but for Orlando specifically, they seem to have had daily flights for a while. Only 1 nonstop but several more with stops. I've been watching for a trip I'm helping plan for a friend.

Not sure when you last checked but for Orlando specifically, they seem to have had daily flights for a while. Only 1 nonstop but several more with stops. I've been watching for a trip I'm helping plan for a friend.

We've only looked at them for Vegas, but good to know! Thanks!

Frontier isn't my first choice, but I do use them occasionally to or from Orlando to/from PHL/TTN.

Some of the good and bad:
- As many have mentioned, be aware of their luggage policies and buy what you need in advance.
- Remember that a carry on may cost you more than checked luggage
- They'll try to sell you "bundles". Usually they're more than you need; personally, I'd stay away from them.
- Limited flights. Not easy rebooking if there's a cancellation.
- A plus: their fleet is among the newest.
- You'll probably buy a seat assignment, so you don't have the 24 hour checkin stress of Southwest.
- The seats are thinner and don't recline. (The not reclining part is a good thing, in my opinion). Initially they feel pretty comfortable, but after about an hour my butt hurts.
- The portion of the terminal that Frontier uses in Orlando is surprisingly dated. Seating for Frontier gates is tight, no charging facilities and the food court area is much more limited than you would find for Southwest and American, for example.
- Specific to Trenton: Baggage claim is still in a trailer. At least they now have a conveyor belt instead of the meat rollers (yes, they used to have them)
- Fares are sometimes really good and they sometimes run decent promos. Just always remember you'll be paying for bags and seat assignments.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm having a hard time finding decent flight prices for our late August trip. I've heard horror stories about Spirit, but never anything bad about Frontier. Has anyone flown them? What was your experience?
We had a 3-4 hour delay. And that was a morning flight, too, when delays are more rare. No weather issues, just unreliable airline issues. That was 10-ish years ago and I haven't flown them since.

I'm so torn about this! Online reviews are TERRIBLE! But it seems they're terrible about things you kind of know to expect going in. I did the math and they're about $400 less than JetBlue and Southwest after you include the Perks Pkg for seating and luggage. And the times work for us - they're flying on the days that we're traveling, and both flights (to and from) take off around 1pm and land around 4 pm. I don't care much about the food/drinks because I can buy those before getting on the plane if I really want to. I think Wi-Fi would be my biggest gripe. But is Wi-Fi worth $400? Not sure.

I hate hate hate the airfare gamble game before trips!!

What kind of experiences have you all had with NOT paying for seat assignments, but still being able to sit together?

What kind of experiences have you all had with NOT paying for seat assignments, but still being able to sit together?

So far we've been sat together each time and we travel as up to 5 people. You get an assigned seat at check in so I'd just suggest checking in as soon as you are able at the 24 hour mark.

I'm so torn about this! Online reviews are TERRIBLE! But it seems they're terrible about things you kind of know to expect going in. I did the math and they're about $400 less than JetBlue and Southwest after you include the Perks Pkg for seating and luggage. And the times work for us - they're flying on the days that we're traveling, and both flights (to and from) take off around 1pm and land around 4 pm. I don't care much about the food/drinks because I can buy those before getting on the plane if I really want to. I think Wi-Fi would be my biggest gripe. But is Wi-Fi worth $400? Not sure.

I hate hate hate the airfare gamble game before trips!!

I agree with you that MOST of the bad reviews are things that they should know about ahead like the cost of carry on and checked bags, seat selection, no free snacks, etc. All of those things are there in writing on their website before you book.

And IMO no, wi fi is not worth $400, lol. But honestly, we've had such positive experiences with Frontier even if it was much closer in price we'd opt to use them again.

I hope it all works out and you are happy with whatever you decide.

So far we've been sat together each time and we travel as up to 5 people. You get an assigned seat at check in so I'd just suggest checking in as soon as you are able at the 24 hour mark.

Thanks for the information, we will be a group of 4 with two young girls. I always check in as soon as possible on the mobile App. When you say get assigned seats is that something you can go ahead and do at check in on the app or do you have to wait until at the gate?

Thanks for the information, we will be a group of 4 with two young girls. I always check in as soon as possible on the mobile App. When you say get assigned seats is that something you can go ahead and do at check in on the app or do you have to wait until at the gate?

If you don't pay to select your seats, they'll be assigned at check in whether you do it online, in person, on the app, etc.

So its ok to bring your own snacks with you on the plane...granola bar, crackers, and I can take that through security and just buy a drink after security to take on? First time flyer here.

If it is imperative to sit together purchase seats as soon as possible. There might not be any together at 24 hour mark. Just because one person has luck doesn’t mean there will be any together on your flight. Not trying to be mean but this is not a place to cut costs.

If it is imperative to sit together purchase seats as soon as possible. There might not be any together at 24 hour mark. Just because one person has luck doesn’t mean there will be any together on your flight. Not trying to be mean but this is not a place to cut costs.

I understand how low cost carriers work. I'm just not going to pay for a seat on a flight that is not full. I'll be glad to pay the price a couple days ahead of time if the flight sells out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter