Tell me it will be ok...Sapphire Falls

VacaPlanner2012

Mouseketeer
Alright, so I am always one to talk about the beauty of RPR and Express Pass and all it brings to a vacation, but...

We are planning an 8-10 day Universal vacation for 2020 and strongly considering staying at Sapphire Falls. We hope to fall in love with Volcano Bay (my kids favorite Orlando Park is Aquatica right now) and Express won't help us there. We are also planning one day to Kennedy Space Center.

We know how to get around the parks, we know what rides/shows that EP is not needed for (Horror MakeUp/Animals/ET/Seuss/etc)...and we will do one night throw away room at RPR for 2 days of Express.

I am taking my mother in law, so still having the boats is important, and we will still have the breakfast buffet at SF. And it saves $1100 to $1500 for the week+ for 5 of us.

SF does not have a lot of "sticky" activity and I like what I have seen/read, but will I regret it? Will I spend the week cursing under my breath at everyone staying at CB and making the boat line long? Or do I try to save a little on food/souvenirs and pay up the difference for RPR?

Experts and SF alumni please weigh in.

I think the hotel looks beautiful. I walked around it when I was staying at Royal Pacific and really want to stay there one day. Their pool looks really nice. You could do a split stay to stay at one of the hotels with express pass for the days you are going to the parks and stay at Sapphire Falls the days you aren't and the express pass isn't as important.

Sapphire Falls is a beautiful Resort.

You are correct some guests at CB are walking across the street to take advantage of the boats to CityWalk. Aventura is now open and is right next door to Sapphire Falls so for sure the folks that know where the boat is at Sapphire Falls will use it to.

SF has beautiful Caribbean Theming.

The Staff are very kind, helpful and friendly.

Rooms are pretty, but small for a family.

Pool is the biggest of all the Resorts on property and does have a slide.

It has one of the nicest shops I think of all the Resorts.

Great drinks at Strong Water Tavern.

Great fitness center.

Breakfast buffet at Amitista is the best.....I have enjoyed it twice now and it was very good.

The regular 2 Queen rooms are small. So with 5 people you would need a rollaway bed and I don’t know where you would put that.

Also everyone uses their vacation space differently.....some don’t spend much time in their rooms and others do.....so the smaller space and lack of privacy is not a big issue.

The value of staying at RPR, PBH HRH as you noted is the Unlimited Express for all your family everyday of your stay and even the day you check out......

Don’t forget to factor in the onsite daily parking fee into your room cost.

Hope this helps a little.

You are already doing a throwaway night at RPR...is there any way you would consider a split stay?

If we do a split stay, we will stay a few nights at RPR to do the 2 parks, then head down to Avanti on International Drive and take the Trolley to Aquatica for a day with all day dining. There are some in our group who would prefer this...how are they related to me? That would mean no Volcano Bay. Ugh for me, I may need to override them since I am paying for it!

With the length of time you will be staying, will you be purchasing APs? That generally makes the most sense once you get past a 3 day park to park ticket. If so, the AP discounts they offer on the rooms can offer a substantial savings. Sometimes, the AP is worth it for the hotel discounts alone. I would highly recommend looking into this, but the bad part is AP rates won't be out until a few months before you travel. But that said, we've found very affordable rates at all 3 of the deluxe resorts using the AP discount.

Sapphire Falls is a beautiful resort and I actually would like to stay there, but I can't give up EP at this point. We are used to sleeping in and heading to the parks at our leisure, knowing we don't have to worry about wait times and touring strategies. If I knew we didn't have EP, it wouldn't be a relaxing trip for me and I'd feel pressured to get there at opening. I think you'd get to see and do everything with the length of time you have in the parks, but that still doesn't lessen the annoyance of having to wait in line for 30, 40, 50+ minutes.

SF does not have a lot of "sticky" activity and I like what I have seen/read, but will I regret it? Will I spend the week cursing under my breath at everyone staying at CB and making the boat line long? Or do I try to save a little on food/souvenirs and pay up the difference for RPR?

I don't follow the SF threads, are there a lot of people making the boat line long? I always took the bus to the parks when staying at CB, and occasionally took the boat back to SF, but did not notice long lines. I also have taken boats to RPR and PBH when not staying there! (to pool hop, visit restaurants, etc)

I don't follow the SF threads, are there a lot of people making the boat line long? I always took the bus to the parks when staying at CB, and occasionally took the boat back to SF, but did not notice long lines. I also have taken boats to RPR and PBH when not staying there! (to pool hop, visit restaurants, etc)

We didn't notice any discernible difference in waits for boats and we`ve stayed there twice now.

This trip we have noticed a few times we`ve had long waits from RP, so I don't think it`s a problem......yet.

I think if it became a problem with Aventura and Cabana guests, and Sapphire guests were being seriously affected, they would probably think about limiting boat access, especially at busy times. That`s just my opinion though.......

Thanks schumi, that is good to know and it is a big deal to us. With the group I am taking, it could be a decision maker/breaker. I'd just assume walk, but I am the planner for the group, so my way seldom wins out...

As I start to piece this all together, it is looking more and more that I want that extra thousand dollars to do some other things during the week, so Sapphire Falls will most likely be the winner - with major time spent at the pool recovering from the 2 days of Express Pass with the RPR throw away room.

And thanks Robo for your extensive input - I have not driven in Orlando since our 2012 trip. I "tried" Mears one trip and will never look back. Factoring in cost of rental vehicle, gas, parking, etc., and a car service is the way to go. On a 6 day trip with daily outings - a car service ran 10% higher than rental - a great value for the convenience in our opinion. In 2012, I reserved a car rental 6 months ahead - got to the counter after an hour in line and they did not have any vehicles available for us! We ended up with a 15 passenger van for 6 people - every child had a row to themselves - not doing it again! So Uni and Disney can charge all they want for parking, won't affect us...

I posted on here that during our trip in late January, a slow time after the HP Celebration, that we noted considerably longer lines for Sapphire Falls water taxis at the boat launch at City Walk, compared to the other three resorts. I inquired why and was told that a lot of Cabana Bay guests take advantage of the boat to Sapphire Falls and then walk the rest of the way to Cabana Bay. It makes sense and saves them quite a bit of walking time. As PP mentions, I don't think its a rampant problem but it was noticeable to us the few times we took the boat during that stay.

I just got back from a split stay Royal Pacific and Aventura. While we were in line for the boat in city walk to RPR, I noticed the boat came for SF three times before one boat came for RPR. The SF line was longer than the lines for the other resorts, but they were emptied out with every boat that came.

We just returned from Sapphire a little over a week ago. I have seen posts elsewhere where people were complaining about wait times on the water taxi with Adventura being open now, but we never ran into any issues. They were taking surveys on the boat about where people were staying and only a handful each time were not Sapphire guests.

The hotel is beautiful! We normally stay at Portofino but I think Sapphire has become our 2nd favorite. The standard rooms are a bit of a tight squeeze for our family (there are 5 of us), so we will probably only book there on short trips. We got lucky this last time and were upgraded to the hospitality suite, so there was more than enough room for us all. :)

I just got back from a split stay Royal Pacific and Aventura. While we were in line for the boat in city walk to RPR, I noticed the boat came for SF three times before one boat came for RPR. The SF line was longer than the lines for the other resorts, but they were emptied out with every boat that came.
First time for us staying non EP, usually stay at HRH or RP. Staying one night at Aventura mid December, followed by 3 nights offsite this year. How did you like Aventura?:confused: Seems to be getting good reviews, Urban Pantry seems to be good as well. Traveling with 3 adults, looking forward to the views from the Rooftop Bar. :banana:Thanks in advance!:wave2:

First time for us staying non EP, usually stay at HRH or RP. Staying one night at Aventura mid December, followed by 3 nights offsite this year. How did you like Aventura?:confused: Seems to be getting good reviews, Urban Pantry seems to be good as well. Traveling with 3 adults, looking forward to the views from the Rooftop Bar. :banana:Thanks in advance!:wave2:
It's a very different theme than the other hotels, but I did enjoy it and would love to stay there again. Some things I really liked were the lighting and temperature controls from the iPad. After a long day and my feet are aching, it was so nice to not have to get out of bed again to turn lights off! Also, with the design of the hotel, rooms weren't a long walk down a hallway or outside to get to the shuttle. We did take the boat from City Walk to Sapphire Falls once and the walk was very manageable, even in the heat during the day. We went to the rooftop bar and were able to see fireworks from somewhere and the views were amazing. We didn't get to try Urban Pantry. We enjoyed the theme but I can see how it's not for everyone. I hope you enjoy your trip!

It's a very different theme than the other hotels, but I did enjoy it and would love to stay there again. Some things I really liked were the lighting and temperature controls from the iPad. After a long day and my feet are aching, it was so nice to not have to get out of bed again to turn lights off! Also, with the design of the hotel, rooms weren't a long walk down a hallway or outside to get to the shuttle. We did take the boat from City Walk to Sapphire Falls once and the walk was very manageable, even in the heat during the day. We went to the rooftop bar and were able to see fireworks from somewhere and the views were amazing. We didn't get to try Urban Pantry. We enjoyed the theme but I can see how it's not for everyone. I hope you enjoy your trip!
Thanks, excited to try it!:banana:

I’ve stayed at HRH, and Portofino, just booked RP, I thought about SF, but just can’t give up EP! Thinking about getting an AP for good room discount. Will be there 10 days. Want a 3 park pass, leisurely touring, enjoy resort days, mid day breaks, etc. We live in the Pacific NW, too far to fly for just a week.

I’ve stayed at HRH, and Portofino, just booked RP, I thought about SF, but just can’t give up EP! Thinking about getting an AP for good room discount. Will be there 10 days. Want a 3 park pass, leisurely touring, enjoy resort days, mid day breaks, etc. We live in the Pacific NW, too far to fly for just a week.

If you plan to be there more than a few days, it doesn’t make sense not to get an AP pass, just check with guest services and on these forums to decide which of them makes the most sense for you. Seasonal pass has several block out dates that could effect you, most notably concert nights that preclude you from entering USF for the entire day.

If you plan to be there more than a few days, it doesn’t make sense not to get an AP pass, just check with guest services and on these forums to decide which of them makes the most sense for you. Seasonal pass has several block out dates that could effect you, most notably concert nights that preclude you from entering USF for the entire day.
Thanks. I looked at block out dates for seasonal pass and we arrive just after in late April. I think block out dates ended April 27. I guess it’s too early to see concert dates.
There was another pass offered on the phone, Adventurer Pass or something that gave unlimited admission for 12? Or 14 days. Can’t remember. It’s a bit cheaper than seasonal pass so I may get that for daughters and for myself an AP for room discount.
For now only booked room.

If I make it a package and add tickets do you have to pay for tickets right away or is total due at check in?

Thanks. I looked at block out dates for seasonal pass and we arrive just after in late April. I think block out dates ended April 27. I guess it’s too early to see concert dates.
There was another pass offered on the phone, Adventurer Pass or something that gave unlimited admission for 12? Or 14 days. Can’t remember. It’s a bit cheaper than seasonal pass so I may get that for daughters and for myself an AP for room discount.
For now only booked room.

If I make it a package and add tickets do you have to pay for tickets right away or is total due at check in?

Wasn’t aware that the adventurer pass was available for people inside the US, but if it’s cheaper than the seasonal pass and you are positive you won’t be back within the year then it is worth it. Reminder also that they are running a deal on annual passes right now, seasonal and power get 15-months and preferred and premier get 18-months so take that into consideration as well. Personally, I’d rather pay a small premium so that I have the option to come back within the year and not have to worry about another $300+ per person in ticket fees. Just makes return trips more feasible.

When booking packages, the cost of the package must be completely paid for 45 days prior to check-in, so very different than just booking a room. Also, unless you get some sort of deals through work or a bulk-store for booking a package, you typically don’t save any money and sometimes can get better deals booking seperately.

Wasn’t aware that the adventurer pass was available for people inside the US, but if it’s cheaper than the seasonal pass and you are positive you won’t be back within the year then it is worth it. Reminder also that they are running a deal on annual passes right now, seasonal and power get 15-months and preferred and premier get 18-months so take that into consideration as well. Personally, I’d rather pay a small premium so that I have the option to come back within the year and not have to worry about another $300+ per person in ticket fees. Just makes return trips more feasible.

When booking packages, the cost of the package must be completely paid for 45 days prior to check-in, so very different than just booking a room. Also, unless you get some sort of deals through work or a bulk-store for booking a package, you typically don’t save any money and sometimes can get better deals booking seperately.

Thanks for all the info. I’ve gone to Universal a few times, but first few times it was when they offered the Orlando Flex Pass. That was a great deal! Last time we went I booked room only too, with Canadian discount tickets but that was a trip combined with WDW. We stayed 4 nights at Portofino before transferring to WDW. I’ve never booked a package at Universal.

Unfortunately, the AP deal of extra months don’t apply to us, as tickets have to be activated early April and we don’t arrive till end of April. I wonder if they’ll extend offer.
I just did online chat with Universal because I couldn’t find that Adventure Pass on web site. Apparently it’s only offered with package bookings. The person I got on the phone that I booked with wasn’t very informative and rushed me thru booking, and I didn’t know this type of ticket was only available with packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter