Test track or soarin and splash for almost 5 year old?

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
For Epcot during a busy time of year we plan to FP+ FEA and ride either TT or Soarin (to avoid at least one long wait). Which do you think a (just turned) 5 year old (who didn't like barnstormer last year if that helps) might prefer?

Also - did anyone have a 5 year old that didn't like Splash Mountain? I feel like he will because he would love looking at the surroundings but am a little wary.

I know children older than 5 who wouldn't be brave enough to try those rides. It really is completely dependent on your child's personality. The drop on Splash intimidates a lot of kids. With TT it would be speed. I personally don't find anything scary about Soarin but with kids it is often fear of the unknown that makes them panic and "chicken out." I would explain the rides to your child and ask him what he wants to ride. You might even show him videos so he knows what to expect. Go from there. Really it will come down to how he is feeling when it's actually happening as a small child can easily change his mind at the last minute. I would prepare for either possibility. If he gets there and wants to do it, great. If not, that's fine too.

I agree with westie55. You may not know what he will like or dislike until he gets there. I would show him some videos of those 3 rides and try to gauge his reaction. You can also stand right outside of Splash and see the drop. If he doesn't want to do it, personally, I wouldn't push it. We didn't do Splash until my DS explicitly asked to ride (but, then again, I am the one who didn't want to go on it!). DS9 has been going on Soarin' and TT since he was at least 5 or 6, but, he also loved Barnstormer. Was it the speed of Barnstormer or the movement that he didn't like? (or both?). In terms of movement, Soarin' is definitely tamer. If your child likes pure speed, he would probably like TT as well. If he doesn't like drops, I would avoid Splash.

We went to California the year my DS was almost 5. He liked splash mountain and radiator springs racers (which is in CA, but similar to test track). He also liked space mountain and big thunder mountain. He's an adventurous little guy. His brother was almost 7 on that trip and woulsnt go on space mountain. All kids are different.

When my daughter was 4, she rode Soarin as many times as she could! She loved it. She rode Splash once and wouldn't do it again. Test Track was being refurbished that trip. She rode it at 6, but wasn't too impressed. A boy might be different.

Thanks! Yes I definitely wouldn't get him to ride anything he didn't want to. I'm just trying to decide which FP+ to book based on what might be better for that age. Sounds like I might go with Soarin' and Spl
I know children older than 5 who wouldn't be brave enough to try those rides. It really is completely dependent on your child's personality. The drop on Splash intimidates a lot of kids. With TT it would be speed. I personally don't find anything scary about Soarin but with kids it is often fear of the unknown that makes them panic and "chicken out." I would explain the rides to your child and ask him what he wants to ride. You might even show him videos so he knows what to expect. Go from there. Really it will come down to how he is feeling when it's actually happening as a small child can easily change his mind at the last minute. I would prepare for either possibility. If he gets there and wants to do it, great. If not, that's fine too.
I agree with westie55. You may not know what he will like or dislike until he gets there. I would show him some videos of those 3 rides and try to gauge his reaction. You can also stand right outside of Splash and see the drop. If he doesn't want to do it, personally, I wouldn't push it. We didn't do Splash until my DS explicitly asked to ride (but, then again, I am the one who didn't want to go on it!). DS9 has been going on Soarin' and TT since he was at least 5 or 6, but, he also loved Barnstormer. Was it the speed of Barnstormer or the movement that he didn't like? (or both?). In terms of movement, Soarin' is definitely tamer. If your child likes pure speed, he would probably like TT as well. If he doesn't like drops, I would avoid Splash.
Thanks for replying :) He took Barnstormer well (wasn't upset or crying); when he got off we asked if he wanted to do it again and he said no it was too fast.

The thing is I've done soarin and loved it and I think he probably could handle it pretty easy. BUT he loves cars and really wants to do test track. I think he will be scared since he found barnstormer fast but then again he is a year older. He has watched videos and still says he wants to ride it.

That's why I'm looking for opinions on how other kids his age find it. Really don't want to traumatize him! Lol! I'm fine with tame rides but would still like to do whatever we can.

not the same thing but DW was scared to death of roller coasters and loved Test Track. If he wants to ride it, I would definitely let him.

not the same thing but DW was scared to death of roller coasters and loved Test Track. If he wants to ride it, I would definitely let him.
Thanks! I think my issue is I haven't done it myself! I will probably try for that at rope drop and if he changes his mind I might have time to aim for soarin :)

I would FP Test Track. The wait for Soarin' isn't bad now that they added theaters. Since your son likes cars, I would spin the whole "build a great car" for him and that he can test himself on the ride.

My DS declared Soarin' his favorite ride at age 4. He rode it 3 or 4 times last trip. We're doing a PPO for Garden Grill specifically for it. The only part he found scary was the cut to black at the very end. He doesn't really like rollercoasters and is scared of the robots in Buzz Lightyear, so TT is out. If your little guy doesn't like Barnstormer I would choose Soarin'.

If he doesn't like Barnstormer I would do Soarin'. My daughter loved Barnstormer at 3 but last year at 6 she wouldn't ride it. She also wouldn't ride Soarin'. She did ride TT but none of us had ever ridden it and really didn't know what to expect.

She loved designing the car but the ride was a little more intense then I imagined. She hated it. The first part is kind if jerky and she was terrified of a particular part that I can share if you want to know and aren't familiar with the ride but don't want to spoil it if you don't want to know.

For Epcot during a busy time of year we plan to FP+ FEA and ride either TT or Soarin (to avoid at least one long wait). Which do you think a (just turned) 5 year old (who didn't like barnstormer last year if that helps) might prefer?

Also - did anyone have a 5 year old that didn't like Splash Mountain? I feel like he will because he would love looking at the surroundings but am a little wary.
Soarin' is much more young-child friendly than Test Track.

Splash has a big drop- if the little Barnstormer ride is a bit much for him, he isn't ready for Splash.

Thanks! Yes I definitely wouldn't get him to ride anything he didn't want to. I'm just trying to decide which FP+ to book based on what might be better for that age. Sounds like I might go with Soarin' and Spl

Thanks for replying :) He took Barnstormer well (wasn't upset or crying); when he got off we asked if he wanted to do it again and he said no it was too fast.

The thing is I've done soarin and loved it and I think he probably could handle it pretty easy. BUT he loves cars and really wants to do test track. I think he will be scared since he found barnstormer fast but then again he is a year older. He has watched videos and still says he wants to ride it.

That's why I'm looking for opinions on how other kids his age find it. Really don't want to traumatize him! Lol! I'm fine with tame rides but would still like to do whatever we can.

Keep in mind videos don't really give any sense of speed. Barnstormer probably hits 20-25mph tops...if that. Test Track hits 60-65mph during the outdoor portion, and the turn is very steeply banked. The inside part has some pretty quick sections too. Not trying to scare you, TT is one of my favorite rides in all of the parks, and same for my boys. They've loved it since they were old enough to go on it. As for FP+ priority, TT is the one I'd get. FEA and Soarin' are pretty easy to do at park open (Soarin' is also easy at park close). TT line builds very fast.

I know I'm mean (or a lot of people would think I am), but DW and I made our kids try rides...this was especially true for DD. She was "scared" of any ride faster than Small World. But we made her try things progressively faster and faster, whether she felt like she wanted to or not. If she hated it, then fine, at least she can say she tried. She had the same fear of Barnstormer the first time...tears, etc... She's now a coaster junkie and drags her brothers onto every thrill ride she can find. :D

I think it really depends on your child. DS was a few months shy of 5 when we went last year. It was our first trip so he hadn't been on any of the rides before. He loved TT and splash, both he rode multiple times, but hated Soarin' which I would have thought he'd love. He refused to go again so DH had to go by himself. Out of every ride we rode between AK, MK, and Epcot Soarin' was the only one he didn't enjoy. I'm assuming it's the feeling of your feet dangling that scared him.

My son is 5yo and loved TT, Soarin and Splash on our last trip. He said he will pass on BTMRR in the future, lol. His absolute favorites though are Buzz and TSMM.

We are just back from a trip with my non-thrill rider 4.5 year old. I didn't even attempt Test Track but he loved Soarin. Splash mountain was closed for refurb but I would have skipped it for him anyway unless he saw it and wanted to try.

My daughter who is 4 hasn't ridden barnstormer. She did not want to. I honestly think it looked a little scary to her. That being said, she *LOVED* SDMT, Big Thunder, and Splash. She talks about them all them time. She also really liked Test Track. However she hated Soarin. That is one of the few rides she specifically asked not to go on again. When the ride first started she thought it was cool. She loved it until the first location switch. I figured out pretty quickly what she didn't like was how the change was made to switch to another location. It was too abrupt for her; too in your face.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts